Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any woodworkers or fellas that work often with wood?

I started a project early this week that had me working with older reclaimed wood (Pallets). I was ripping, cross cutting, and sanding for two solid days. While I did wear protective glasses I did not think to wear a face mask. After two days I was out sick with fever , trouble breathing , and fatigue. I tested for covid and was negative. After being out for about a day and a half I'm starting to feel better. Just wondering if the saw dust is what killed my lungs and ches?

I still need to finish the job and I will wear a mask I'm just wondering if this is a standard these days in wood working?

2. Member
    For sure the saw dust is what got to you. One of the problems with using old pallets is, you never really know what was on them, so it could have been chemicals, or just a reaction to a certain type of wood. For me it is using walnut. When I use walnut I have to wear a respirator as well as use both of my air cleaners/ fans, and even then I have to flush my nasal passages or I get really bad sinus infections.

3. Member
    I am sure some of the old school guys might chastise you for wearing a mask, but it has been proven that sawdust can lead to a increased risk of lung caner. I have a respirator I use anytime I am sanding just because If I dont I deal with allergy like symptoms for a couple days afterwards. Sanding is what will produce the smallest/most harmful dust particles.

4. Member
    I haven't known anyone personally that felt that bad after one session in dust. Some people with asthma or allergies will definitely have a worse reaction though. Maybe that is what did it. Or maybe you are allergic to the specific wood that you were working with. I usually wear a mask, but when I don't I will have a runny nose for a day as my body tries to clean out the fine particles.
    2014 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury ProXs 200

Never heard of anyone getting a fever from sawdust, but it can plug sinuses if you don't wear a mask if there is no ventilation.

6. Member
    I'm a lifer carpenter, and if I spend a day running the belt and ROS sanders, I'll get the sniffles and chills for a day or two. Not allergic to anything else, but I think I've developed one for wood flour.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    I'm a lifer carpenter, and if I spend a day running the belt and ROS sanders, I'll get the sniffles and chills for a day or two. Not allergic to anything else, but I think I've developed one for wood flour.
    This seems to be what happened to me . I am going to go and steam at the gym for about 15 and hopefully help clear out what is left. The chit I was coughing up was very thick yesterday but today is much better

Yep, if am sanding a lot I wear a mask now, it's a pain the the ass, but I made the mistake of not doing it once or twice and felt like crap for a day or two so now I just wear a mask.

9. Member
    There also could have been some mold spores involved if the pallets were outside.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

10. Member
    I work in a cabinet shop and we all are breathing in dust all day. It's an older building, so the ventilation is not the greatest. Sometimes I swear it gets to me as I will be blowing my nose all day sometimes. Pretty much the only people though who wear respirators are the guys in the spray room while they are either staining or painting .

11. Member
    Pallets are just bad, they can have all kinds of crap on them, some of them even have chemicals sprayed on them to increase longevity.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatt010 View Post
    I am sure some of the old school guys might chastise you for wearing a mask, but it has been proven that sawdust can lead to a increased risk of lung caner. I have a respirator I use anytime I am sanding just because If I dont I deal with allergy like symptoms for a couple days afterwards. Sanding is what will produce the smallest/most harmful dust particles.
    You probably won't get any crap from the old guys having use oxygen now due to the brown lung they got from working in paper and lumber mills. Cancer isn't real common from wood dust but it can overload your lungs over time.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Pallets are just bad, they can have all kinds of crap on them, some of them even have chemicals sprayed on them to increase longevity.
    With that said , should I put a finish on them to seal them for a kitchen application?

I work with balsa wood and I have to wear a mask when doing so because the dust kills me.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    With that said , should I put a finish on them to seal them for a kitchen application?
    I would if I was you, better safe than sick.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    What kind of kitchen application will it be? If it is a cutting board no finish will protect against the contaminants that could be in the wood. If it will be a cook book stand or bread box type of thing, you can get away with using polyurethane.

17. Member
    Stairbilder for 9 years and did another 20 in other facets of woodworking. Some woods have allergens. Anything made of wood that will contact food needs a food safe finish. Do a Google search for the best product for your needs

18. Member
    The application is a splash wall above the counters and sink.

Everybody is different. I wear a mask and glasses when sanding, heavy cutting, or grinding. Grab a mask and git-r-done.

20. Member
    I found this info. I would be very careful if used in a kitchen. https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast