New Minn Kota Talon shopping 10 or 12'

What would you buy? I have a Nitro Z7 and am looking for 1 talon to mount currently on the boat. I'm looking at mounting Starboard side as my emergency boarding ladder is on port side and I don't want to block it.

Plan on jackplate (10" slidemaster) mounting it. I also have an Ultrex for spotlock purposes.

The 10' talon from my research is about 5lbs lighter and much shorter than the 12'. I have an 8' garage to pull in and out of and I think the 10' would clear without the tilt bracket. I'm fairly certain the 12' would need a tilt bracket to pull the boat in and out of the garage.

Price difference isn't much between the two when looking at some online vendors. Does anyone have a 12' talon and regret not going with a 10'? What about a 10' and regret not getting the extra 12'?

I fish all water depths but the idea of being able to stick the boat in 10-11 FOW gives me an advantage over some Power pole guys that I like.

I have the hole shot where I like it after swapping out from lead acid to lithium batteries. I feel a shallow water anchor is the last missing piece to my rig. The 5lb difference I can make up with removing some tackle if it's a deal breaker (or let's be honest, I should lose 5lbs myself).

Boat:
    2010 Z7
    200 Pro XS
    25 Pitch 4 blade prop

Boat gets up on plane in a few seconds and so far I've hit 62mph with some trim to go. Learning to drive with the chine that exists over 60. I think I may need to drop back to my 24 pitch prop and that is okay as I think the pro's of a shallow water anchor outweigh the cons.

What would you do? 10 or 12'? Single talon only.

if i am getting a single talon it will be a 12' i think its only 8 inches taller than the 10'. also i would want the tilt bracket no matter what as it gives you another option to hop troubleshoot or help you get out of the lake with issues. i had a 12' talon and loved it i have 10' blades now and they are good but higher than the 12 talon. ps i will buy 8' blades in the future but if i was a single anchor guy id still get 1 12' talon
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Good feedback. Kind of what I am thinking, screw the extra 8"; tilt it more often. The extra 5lbs is worth the 2' grab.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swannyoutdoors View Post
    Good feedback. Kind of what I am thinking, screw the extra 8"; tilt it more often. The extra 5lbs is worth the 2' grab.
    I have 2 10' BT Talons on a Procraft 210 Super Pro, also on a 10" slidemaster and they barely stick up above the cowling while trailering. No issue getting in and out of the garage, so I do not have tilt brackets. I purchased from mygreenoutdoors and at the time the 12' were $500 more apiece than the 10' which made my decision. And for what it's worth, I had an issue with one talon but took it to an ASC as a warranty fix, and they took care of it no questions asked, I didn't even have to contact MinnKota. So just make sure you register your warranty card and all that jazz. Overall I've been happy with the purchase.