Thread: Transducers

Transducers

New to Garmin. Have a 21ft Triton HP. What transducer is best suited for higher speed pickup. I am running a 106sv at console. Just want to know where the bottom is while running. What unit/units would be best suited. What I may can expect. Mounted inside or out. Thanks for your help.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Best option would be the GT8/GT36 combo. GT8 is the 2d puck (shoot thru) while the GT36 is the image ducer. They connect to unit with Y cable.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/735593
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Best option would be the GT8/GT36 combo. GT8 is the 2d puck (shoot thru) while the GT36 is the image ducer. They connect to unit with Y cable.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/735593
    I'm assuming the thru hull transducers will not work, with Y cable using transducer GT54 or GT56 that I already have. Is this correct.

Correct

5. Member
    I am also considering aa GT8/GT36 combo for my (new) console Echomap Ultra 126sv. Two questions: (1) Is it easy to switch from the GT8 to the GT36? (2) Do you ever want the GT8 when idling/searching an area, i.e., do you ever want/use conventional 2d sonar when UHD down imaging is available?

Thanks!
    -Robert

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With that combo there is no switching.....they are both displayed on your unit. I use 2d mainly for on plane speed.....

7. Member
    So if I use that combo with a Y-connector on the Echomap Ultra 126sv I won't need to switch sonar sources between the two? I thought the Garmin rep said I'd have to manually go into a menu and switch sonar sources, but maybe I misunderstood.

If no switching is required, then it seems it really will be totally transparent to me as a user that I am running the split gt8 + gt36 instead of one gt56. Is that correct?

Many thanks for the insights. There's a ton of detail to sort out here.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No switch required....the unit read both at same time...both ducers plug in to the Y cable and other end plugs in to sonar port on rear of unit. That's it....

9. Member
    Not to highjack this thread but I have a question on Garmin transducers. What is the difference between the Gt56 and the GT36 transducers that allows the use of a Y-cable with one and not the other? Also do I give up any features with the GT36 as compared to the GT56?
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    With that combo there is no switching.....they are both displayed on your unit. I use 2d mainly for on plane speed.....
    Ok fishin couillon, I installed the combo as recommended, everything works great however, the GT8 will only read up to about 28-29mph. As I stated earlier that this is installed in a Triton 21HP, installed in the lowest pad right in front of the drain plug. Any reason I would not be able able to pick up. My old Lowrance would work great. Please any help would be greatly appreciated, from anyone. Thanks to all.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    Not to highjack this thread but I have a question on Garmin transducers. What is the difference between the Gt56 and the GT36 transducers that allows the use of a Y-cable with one and not the other? Also do I give up any features with the GT36 as compared to the GT56?
    The way I read and understand is, they both are the same except GT56 has all, down & side vu, temp, and 2d. However will not pick up at most anything over idle. GT36 is down & side vu, temp only, so you install GT8 in hull for 2D and use Y cable. Cannot use Y cable with GT56.