weigh in scales at Lake Fork

I haven't been impressed with how the fish are being weighed at Fork. The scales are bouncing all over the place. Swindle had one that was bouncing between 3-14 to 4-4 depending on which way the wind was blowing. The scale settled on 4-0 for a second and a half and that is what he received credit for. Who's to say that fish wasn't heavier? If an ounce is going to decide the outcome, this method of weighing seems like an inexact science. Rick Clunn once said that the only way to decide a tournament is to have all the fish weighed on the same scale. I think today proves his point.

2. Member
    Hard to blame a scale when the ground (the boat) is shaking all over the place. Sure, there is going to be inaccuracies, but it beats a slot event weigh in.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Not a good look for bass today on that front. Imagine the inconsistency across the whole field. We only see a few of the boats in the field. And yes I understand weighing fish in waves. I’ve put them on a hand held scale my whole life on Champlain and Ontario and there’s never been more than maybe 2-3-4oz difference even in waves over 4-6ft tall and constantly flooding the deck out which are wayyyy bigger than what they were in on fork. There’s a better way for sure. All Marshall’s needed to be instructed to stand up and put their back to the wind and stand on the back deck if possible as that is the most stable part of the boat in those waves. Or make the angler take the boat off spot lock to calm it down more when trying to get an accurate weight a spot locked boat is always going to bounce more trying to fight the waves when in spot lock.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Bob G's pool boy
    The answer can be found at Boat Flippin' Productions.

Last edited by billspence; 05-20-2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: That's three seconds of his life that Bob G will never get back.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Hard to blame a scale when the ground (the boat) is shaking all over the place. Sure, there is going to be inaccuracies, but it beats a slot event weigh in.

Yep. The wind is howling. You make due. It is an example though that th8s format is not perfect.

6. Member
    How exactly would you like them to do it then? Yea you're right it's going to be inconsistent, but it is what it is for this one tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Yep. The wind is howling. You make due. It is an example though that th8s format is not perfect.
    Getting to see these guys fish Fork in a non slot format is worth it to me

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Getting to see these guys fish Fork in a non slot format is worth it to me

Yep. I feel like we will see a double digit caught this week.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    How exactly would you like them to do it then? Yea you're right it's going to be inconsistent, but it is what it is for this one tournament.
    Well if they can't accurately weigh the fish, they should take Fork off the list. Inconsistent weights in the so-called best tourney series, seriously?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Well if they can't accurately weigh the fish, they should take Fork off the list. Inconsistent weights in the so-called best tourney series, seriously?
    Well at least it not every single tournament like the other series. I'll deal with it if I get to see them fish Fork.

11. Member
    I agree with Clunn. Nothing is going to be perfect, however, adding any factor that decreases accuracy will at some point alter the winning weight. It's inevitable. How long do you wait before the scale holds a weight do you mark the weight? Is there a standardized time?

I'm somewhat surprised this issue hasn't already come up.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Aren't these the same scales MLF uses? Man can't believe all the bashing on the scales....never hear that during a BPT event.....
    Fish have fins, they swim

13. Member
    I have noticed on the BPT events that they don't position the camera right over the weigh official's shoulder so you never get a good look at the scale display.

I think they need a small platform scale in the floor of the boat that is on a self leveling gyro to compensate for boat movements. The scale should communicate electronically with a server and remove the human factor all together.

14. Member
    I imagine they will tell the cameramen to stop zooming in on the scales
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

15. Member
    If they're all using the same brand scale, all have Joe/Jane Blow citizen manning them, all on the same lake at the same time........then I don't see the issue. Effort is made to make it as fair for everyone as possible and all the anglers signed up for it.
    2014 920/SHO