Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VST DISASSEMBLY AND CLEANING

I removed my VST and HP Fuel pump today, in the process I broke the top of the fuel pump, already have a replacement on order.
    Had great difficulty removing the end plates on the VST, only got the top off so far, really had to beat it into submission. Once opened I found it to be BEYOND dirty, not sure how it was running at all.
    I have the bottom side soaking hoping it will come off easier.
    Didn't take any pics........getting kinda late.

My new concern is, if the VST was so dirty, I'm worried that my injectors have been compromised.

Guess I'll have to wait to see what happens when I re-assemble.
    Twin '05 175 Evinrudes, Model# E175MFXSOS

2. Member
    I will post pics later but, my VST does NOT have a coil inside to cool the fuel, it has a jacket that surrounds the fuel "container" that the water flows through.
    Does this sound correct? The diagrams I have seen all have the coil, unless those were for ETEC's and mine is a FICHT.

The FICHT uses a VST canister within a canister design for cooling. The unfortunate thing is that there is limited space and that makes it easy for mud, sand, or debris to restrict the water flow, which also cools the EMM.

The E-TEC design uses the coil tubing inside the VST reservoir.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The FICHT uses a VST canister within a canister design for cooling. The unfortunate thing is that there is limited space and that makes it easy for mud, sand, or debris to restrict the water flow, which also cools the EMM.

The E-TEC design uses the coil tubing inside the VST reservoir.
    Makes sense. Plan on cleaning the best I can while it's apart.
    What do you recommend soaking the canister in to dissolve salt residue?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajv00303 View Post
    Makes sense. Plan on cleaning the best I can while it's apart.
    What do you recommend soaking the canister in to dissolve salt residue?
    Salt away

6. Member
    These pics are after I disassembled the cannister before cleaning it, tons of salt and mud.
    20220520_194928 .1- Copy.jpg20220520_194941.1.jpg20220520_195035 .1- Copy.jpg20220520_195112 ,1- Copy.jpg
    Notice in the 3rd pic the quick-disconnect connector on the left has what I think is a screen inserted in it, I cannot remove it and the fitting is completely clogged. Is that a removable screen?

The old filter number was PN 354190 and now is superseded to 362268 - VST return line filter - easily replaceable but insert it 180° from where it is now - open end toward return hose
    -----

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The old filter number was PN 354190 and now is superseded to 362268 - VST return line filter - easily replaceable but insert it 180° from where it is now - open end toward return hose
    So it definitely comes out, I need to pull on it harder.....

9. Member
    Pics after cleaning:

20220520_203217 .1- Copy.jpg20220520_203242.1.jpg20220520_203500.1 - Copy.jpg

2nd pic is inside of canister, I assume the piece inside is a baffle. Notice the 2 circles to the left of the baffle, I think the 1 on the top is where the fuel enters the canister, not sure where the fuel from the return enters the canister. Is it under the baffle?
    Pics after getting most of the debris cleaned, then soaked these items in a water/vinegar solution to further remove the salt residue.
    The last pic is of the screen in the pump, lots of debris.

I think under the baffle is a spring and a steel ball which function as a pressure regulator, much like oil pressure regulation in a 4-stroke engine.
    -----

11. Member
    I believe you are on the right track here. ++ to Seahorse comments

12. Member
    I got the screen out, in pcs. But that port is still blocked. How much pressure is this regulator for? Can I somehow remove the baffle?

13. Member
    I think you are on your own here. I have never taken one apart. But just think of it this way - it’s is all made of a bunch of parts. If a human can assemble it in a factory, A human can take it apart in a work shop. You just have to take your time.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    I think you are on your own here. I have never taken one apart. But just think of it this way - it’s is all made of a bunch of parts. If a human can assemble it in a factory, A human can take it apart in a work shop. You just have to take your time.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing, looks like the fittings are pressed into the base, not sure if I want to fool w/ that yet.
    Might try to bend the baffle up to get a glimpse of this spring/regulator.....
    Also thinking of compressed air. Pump is rated for ~20-30PSI I believe. I have a compressor and may try 10PSI and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!! Both of you...

15. Member
    I actually found a local shop that had the filter!! I bought 3 of 'em!
    The guy behind the counter knew exactly what it was when I showed him a pic.
    He also told me that was an output fitting from the VST NOT an input......Looking for confirmation here before I go any further.
    Not sure I agree w/ the parts guy after looking at the manual. It does say that port is a Pressure Regulator (high pressure).
    Think I'm going to try my "compressed air" idea........
    To be continued.......

16. Member
    Compressed air test conducted @ ~15PSI and it flowed!
    Going to do a final clean and inspect and start to re-assemble.
    Haven't touched the O-Rings, think I might add a tab of Black RTV as a bit of a sealant.

17. Member
    Just tore into mine and am wondering where you are finding all these parts. Is there a rebuild kit for them with the o-rings? My float was broken and sitting at the bottom of the vst casing!

18. Member
    Just completed re-assembly, now waiting on pump!

20220521_150823.1.jpg

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormoz View Post
    Just tore into mine and am wondering where you are finding all these parts. Is there a rebuild kit for them with the o-rings? My float was broken and sitting at the bottom of the vst casing!
    I heard the only thing available was that screen, that's why I didn't touch the O-Rings.
    I removed the float only to clean/inspect.

20. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajv00303 View Post
    So it definitely comes out, I need to pull on it harder.....
    I used an drywall screw and just screw it into the filter then yanked it out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast