2000 115hp 4stroke EFI low RPMs

my 2000 115hp runs about 4200 RPMs wide open.. it says its rated to run 5000 to 6000 RPMs. How do I turn up the RPMs???

2. Member
    Once you make certain the engine is seeing full throttle, has a new fuel filter, good plugs and wires, the best way to increase the rpm by 1200 rpm would be a massive change in pitch. At least 3 odd pitches. So if you now have a 21P prop, you would need to try something like a 15P Prop. If you had a 19P, then try a 13 Pitch. If this is on a Pontoon are you sure the logs are not leaking? What is your GPS speed, gear ratio and prop pitch as well as engine height?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

If you can provide a little boat/engine history (how long have you had it, has it ever turned 5000+ RPM's for you, any changes to it since you bought it, etc), those details often prove very helpful.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    sorry I am just now responding. very new to all of this..
    so yes this is on a 26ft pontoon, came off a17ft runabout. logs are good. however,my prop pitch is 15. my specs say 12p is best. thanks for your help. also I think have a weak coil that isn't helping. im going o try and find the correct prop

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please provide your engine's serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Sorry... SN OT341774 2001 115ELP4S

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure the throttle is actually reaching the WOT position (as suggested above).

You'll then need to re-prop this engine to get it up into the recommended RPM range (11-12 pitch is likely realistic). Your pontoon would benefit from an engine that has the Command-Thrust (back in those days it was called "Bigfoot") Gearcase. But... that's a whole different engine.

8. Member
    i swapped out a 60 hp 4 Stroke EFI bigfoot for this 115 hp. thinking it would do the trick. problem is we have 10 people on the boat and the grandkids want to tube..lol I am looking for the right prop now.. thanks

9. Member
    did I make a mistake???

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For 10 persons and a tube- there is no "right" prop for that engine combination.