Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Landscape/Grass Expert Help

I cannot get the grass within 3-4 feet of our foundation to grow, or stay alive. Right now it is dead dirt again. Is there a trick to it, or should I just put a border in and fill the area with River Rock?

2. Member
    send some soil samples to the extension office and find out what your soil is composed of. Go from there.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    If the rest of the yard grows fine then it seems like the problem is something other than soil quality. Does it have enough water? If not, a drainage system might be getting rid of all the water just like it's supposed to.

BTW is it possible that a previous owner put down salt or something to keep grass and weeds away from the house? You've heard the phrase "salting the earth"? Retreating armies would often spread salt on the fields so they couldn't grow crops there for years.

4. Member
    Around here most foundations are back filled with sand to make easier drainage to your footing drain. I'm sure other parts of the country are different. Have you dug close to your foundation to see soil composition? Also concrete will wick water if it has not been sealed properly.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Crappy soil from backfilling is highly likely.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    have you tried sod??

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

We had areas that the builder had covered leftover stucco with dirt and nothing would stay alive on it. We tilled and treated with lime. Seems to have corrected the issue
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

8. Member
    Mulch.

Mine wasn't as pronounced, but I had about 6 inches next to my foundation that would never stay alive until I put my sprinkler system in. I'm thinking that the heat of the concrete along with the concrete sucking the moisture away is what kept killing it.

10. Member
    Do the opposite of what you want. Put down rock or mulch and you will quickly have green stuff growing up thru it!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Do the opposite of what you want. Put down rock or mulch and you will quickly have green stuff growing up thru it!
    NO DOUBT !!!

12. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Do you have foundation drains? It’s likely that you’re not holding enough water in that area. River rock would keep you from having to string trim along your foundation as well

13. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Truer words have never been spoken.

This is along the same lines of how I train my new guys to weed.

If it pulled out easily it was a flower, put it back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    send some soil samples to the extension office and find out what your soil is composed of. Go from there.
    What is the “Extension”?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    What is the “Extension”?
    I'll try to answer for him. It's usually affiliated with your university system as an outreach program. Most will offer soil testing, help with pest control, how to do conservation projects, etc.

16. Member
    The area’s in question are, the back of the building and the side of the building. The back faces south and is 100% sun. This area was tilled up and good top soil was added along with seed, fertilizer and straw. I watered it every evening and grass came up, but not what I was hoping for. Then came winter and now it all died off.

The other area is the side of the building. This area is about 50% shade. This was done the same as the back of the building. Both area’s won’ grow grass about 2-3’ next to the block walls.

Both area’s were back filled after construction with lousy dirt and rock. I’m thinking of putting a edging in and the black weed barrier, then covering it with River rock. My only concern is water seepage into the block walls?

17. Member
    My theory as well! Put basic slag down and watch it grow! Some of my best grass is growing in the driveway!

It's amazing how easy it is to grow grass in the cracks of my patio and how difficult it is to grow it in the freshly tilled and raked top soil 2 feet away.

19. Member
    What kind of grass seed you using? If it has a lot of annual rye it won't come back

20. Member
    Scott’s seed and fertilizer, but I don’t know what Lind of grass it’t supposed to grow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast