Thread: APEX and AIRMAR

APEX and AIRMAR

Another question. Will an Airmar B175hw connect directly to my APEX 19 thru the extra sonar port? Or do I have to have that SM3000 module?

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I don't know the answer for sure but the Apex Operations Manual has a footnote saying the SM3000 is optional for extremely deep water. It just says the port can be used for Airmar Chirp Transducers.

You may need to contact Humminbird to get the details on this one, unless Wayne knows the answer.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

I don't see any reference for that model transducer being available with a Humminbird connector.
    Only the SM3000 is mentioned and splicing the transducer cable to the SM3000 pigtail via connection block is stated with a wiring diagram.

Don't know if that is current info or not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    I use the B175HW on my Apex 19 works great. They do come with the 14 pin HB connecter if you can find one. I used one for Furuno and wired my own Huminbird plug. Gemeco customer support is great. Originally couldn't get it to work until working with Gemeco found 2 crossed wires. Works great now.

5. Member
    very good. Thank you for the info.

6. Member
    Ok. I had my Airmar B175HW installed this week and it is connected to the APEX using the 14 pin connector in the 2Kw port. When I turned the unit on yesterday it does not seem to recognize the new 2d sonar transducer. Will I be able to see it listed in the settings? Should I turn off the 2d sonar part of the SI transducer in sonar port 1? The manual says the unit should recognize any transducer when it powers up but the only transducer I see is the HB mega SI/DI that came with it.

7. Member
    Gonna need to to go into the transducer settings menu and turn off "auto config". Under transducer capabilities select "airmar high chirp"

It's older post but newer software updates have added the airmar transducer selections
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....27#post9364927
    Last edited by ntslam; 06-03-2022 at 09:51 AM.

8. Member
    ok. i did turn off the auto-configuring and I did see the choice for Airmar high chirp. I think it worked but I never did see it listed under sonar sources select. It shows the HB transducer only. When I click on the settings for it should I not click on 2D sonar and only click on SI and DI for that transducer? That way it knida of leaves the AIRMAR as the only option correct?

9. Member
    I have to set auto off then go in Humminbird 2d and un check that, then go to airmar and check 2d. hope that makes sense.

10. Member
    yes it does. i thought that was the way it should be. thanks.

11. Member
    Scott, are you saying you already tried it and that is how it works?
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    Curious, are you both using the newer “Y” cable (14 M ID SIDB Y) that allows Airmar ID to be recognized? Bob

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Curious, are you both using the newer “Y” cable (14 M ID SIDB Y) that allows Airmar ID to be recognized? Bob
    The Apex has 2 transducer ports so no need for a y cable.

14. Member
    Good point if you don’t need the extra for another ducer. Direct should allow the transducer to be Auto-ID’d one would guess. It’s not like the 175 is a brand new item and isn’t in the file. Huh!
    I doubt I will put out Grand for a 175, but wanted to understand the set-up. Thanks for the response. Bob

15. Member
    I have the 175 direct connected to the 2nd port/2kw port on the APEX. when I originally powered the unit on it did not recognize the airmar. I went thru the steps to turn off auto configuring and even then it did not show the airmar to begin with. I unplugged the HB transducer from the #1 port thinking it would force the unit to recognize the airmar since it was the only thing connected. That did not work either. I had no transducer at all according to the unit. I went back and reconnected HB ducer and then did set up for it. I turned off the 2d sonar and then when I went to the 2nd one it did show me a choice of which frequency airmar to choose. I checked high chirp and then I think it was working. However I still lost bottom contact at times when on plane; but I also had a ton of interference also. I have another thread started on the interference problem also. I think it is coming from the outboard but I still have more tinkering to do with both problems. Problem is the boat is 200 miles away so I have limited time to tinker when I get there because I want to fish also. I am going back down tomorrow to hopefully get it all working like it should.

16. Member
    Call HB from your boat, in fact call them today. The are there to tell you what to do. You are doing something almost nobody has at this point. Bob

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fscott1520svx View Post
    I have the 175 direct connected to the 2nd port/2kw port on the APEX. when I originally powered the unit on it did not recognize the airmar. I went thru the steps to turn off auto configuring and even then it did not show the airmar to begin with. I unplugged the HB transducer from the #1 port thinking it would force the unit to recognize the airmar since it was the only thing connected. That did not work either. I had no transducer at all according to the unit. I went back and reconnected HB ducer and then did set up for it. I turned off the 2d sonar and then when I went to the 2nd one it did show me a choice of which frequency airmar to choose. I checked high chirp and then I think it was working. However I still lost bottom contact at times when on plane; but I also had a ton of interference also. I have another thread started on the interference problem also. I think it is coming from the outboard but I still have more tinkering to do with both problems. Problem is the boat is 200 miles away so I have limited time to tinker when I get there because I want to fish also. I am going back down tomorrow to hopefully get it all working like it should.
    Are you getting this menu

IMG_20220608_193425.jpg

18. Member
    yes. i have that menu. port 2 giave me the option to choose airmar high chirp for my 2d sonar. it did not work originally. i am going to reconnect everything and try it again this afternoon.

19. Member
    I double checked mine last night and it worked as it should. I actually run two airmar transducers(150,165) on the transom. One connected through the y cable and one connected to the 2d port so I can switch back and forth.