1996 Johnson Venom 200 HP Questions

I am about to take the boat out of storage this weekend, and I have a few questions before I run it again for the first time. The engine is a 1996 Johnson Venom 200 HP (Model: 1996 Johnson J200STLEDM).

1) When winterizing the engine, I noticed some oil pooled around one of the spark plugs. Could this have been just a loose plug? Or is there anything more serious I should look for?
    2) When the muffs were on the engine I noticed water coming out of 2 areas (the parts with 4 bolts on each side pictured below) and wanted to see if this is normal or if there might be a gasket issue.
    3) Does anyone know what impeller I should get for this specific motor?
    4) Does anyone know what type of corrosion is happening here and the best way to fix and refinish it? The whiter spots are all rough in texture.

IMG_7067.jpgIMG_7068.jpg
    Last edited by pathosmusic; 05-19-2022 at 02:25 PM.
    1996 Ranger 397xt
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 HP (Model: 1996 Johnson J200STLEDM)

Your "zinc" anode on the gearcase is missing and the stainless prop is affecting the aluminum. There may also be some stray current corrosion issues due to extensive erosion.

Order a complete factory water pump kit for installation, not just an impeller

Water running out near the lower motor mounts is normal
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Your "zinc" anode on the gearcase is missing and the stainless prop is affecting the aluminum. There may also be some stray current corrosion issues due to extensive erosion.

Order a complete factory water pump kit for installation, not just an impeller

Water running out near the lower motor mounts is normal
    Thanks for the info! I am assuming the zinc anode is supposed to be in that square hole above the propeller? They seem pretty cheap to buy but no hardware included so I would have to figure out the bolt needed to install.

Can I sand the corrosion down, prime and paint over it with a decent quality paint? Or will this only help cosmetically?
    1996 Ranger 397xt

4. Member
    Why figure out the bolt. Just go to the parts catalog. epc.brp.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Why figure out the bolt. Just go to the parts catalog. epc.brp.com
    Wow dude, ty soooo much for that link! I've been looking for a good parts catalog! This looks awesome!
    1996 Ranger 397xt