Thread: Fisher vs Saban

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Beginning of the end for College football IMO.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    Beginning of the end for College football IMO.
    explain "the end" for college football..
    is it gonna fold up and be no more?
    or are they just gonna quit showing it on TV?
    what is "the end"?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    explain "the end" for college football..
    is it gonna fold up and be no more?
    or are they just gonna quit showing it on TV?
    what is "the end"?

My money is on the next ABC/ESPN/CFP TV deals being 2x the current
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Hell before players started getting paid he said in an interview that they should get paid.....now he's complaining....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post

My money is on the next ABC/ESPN/CFP TV deals being 2x the current

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

6. Banned
    They were all so wrong about what NIL was going to be like and it is hilarious. I love college sports but the coaches are a bunch or over grown meatheads.

They think they are so smart because they have been manipulating these kids for years, now the kids can get an expert (agent) to help deal with these primadonna's.

7. Banned
    Guys come on some of you just want to pick a fight.

All I take Captainrab as saying is that the times of playing for your school, your team, and the love of the game are over which is/was college football at its origin. I see it as more semi pro with NIL and the transfer portal so in many ways the spirit of college sports is almost dead.

It's easier to buy a basketball team with only 5 players. Kentucky's Oscar Tshiebwe projected to be a 2nd round pick decided to remain at Kentucky with a $2 mil NIL deal.

9. Banned
    Believe it or not Deion Sanders nailed it....

Saban was not really talking to Jimbo, he was talking to the Alabama boosters.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    Guys come on some of you just want to pick a fight.

All I take Captainrab as saying is that the times of playing for your school, your team, and the love of the game are over which is/was college football at its origin. I see it as more semi pro with NIL and the transfer portal so in many ways the spirit of college sports is almost dead.
    Well put and accurate.

11. Member
    College football is about to become as popular as the NFL.

12. Member
    My thoughts are that the NIL is going to make college coaches adjust how they recruit. It will also make the administration adjust to what guilines they allow their coaches to recruit. There is going to be a change that is for sure. I don't think it will affect the game other then change the landscape of the dominate programs. My guess and this is just a guess the programs with deep pockets for football in years past will become challenged by programs with strong Alumni bases who have connections . Look for UCLA, USC, Vandy, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, Dotre Dame, Miami type of schools have the ability to advance their recruiting efforts. A good practice might be to research the wealthiest Alumni base.

13. Member
    The Ivy League schools could run away with this if they wanted. Their endowments make Texas / TAM look like chump change.

14. Member
    It's pretty simple, the guy winning under the current rules doesn't want the rules to change (see John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight etc......). Not paying the players left lots of money to overpay the Head Coach too. The NCAA let this get so far out of balance with the University and Coaches getting rich and giving nearly zero to the players that it was bound to fail. Alabama is going to wake up one day and find that they are the next Nebraska. If a kid is a top recruit would he rather play in Miami (University of Miami), LA (UCLA or USC), Austin (Texas) or Colorado (legal pot and cool weather) or even a HBC with Deon than in the middle of Alabama? When these kids get the power, their decision points will be completely different and we know the NFL talent scouts will find you anywhere.

Maybe many of these NIL kids will finally be exposed for what they are - athletes. The whole student-athlete thing for many (read - not all) is a joke and they're attending these colleges for the gifts, free rides and potential pro careers, not pursuit of higher education. I once worked with a WR from my alma mater who had an internship with us and to give him the "student" moniker would be like calling a RAV4 an offroad vehicle. He could barely speak english at an 8th grade level, but could run a 40 in 4.3.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    Believe it or not Deion Sanders nailed it....

Saban was not really talking to Jimbo, he was talking to the Alabama boosters.
    I agree. And Fisher was standing up for his staff and players to impress the boosters and keep the money train rolling.

17. Member
    This isn’t a great surprise to anyone, is it?

Its not even got rolling real well yet.

Just when we thought we had seen it all, now this NIL/Transfer horse dung is starting to get rolling. It’s buying talent, pure and simple. Big money will win out, less money will be bringing up the rear. Most times, money can screw just about anything up, even with the best of intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    This isn’t a great surprise to anyone, is it?

Its not even got rolling real well yet.

Just when we thought we had seen it all, now this NIL/Transfer horse dung is starting to get rolling. It’s buying talent, pure and simple. Big money will win out, less money will be bringing up the rear. Most times, money can screw just about anything up, even with the best of intentions.
    The "small market" colleges will act as a minor league for the big dog schools. The transfer portal should be renamed to the upgrade portal.

19. Member
    Did he say they cheated, no. Did he try to lead everyone to think that they did, yes. Giving A&M some added fire plus he ticked off Deion Sanders as well but he will never play J State

Should they do away with scholarships?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast