Thread: Parasitic Draw

Question Parasitic Draw

I have a 2005 Skeeter ZX225 with a 2005 225hp Yamaha HPDI. When I plug my Minn Kota 4 bank charger into a GFCI outlet it trips the GFCI. When I disconnect my starting battery, it does not trip the breaker. I hooked my ammeter between the positive post and the wire terminal and had a 100mA draw. Then I unhooked it from the boat terminal and hooked it to the outboard terminal and had the exact same 100mA draw. Then I hooked them all together and had the same 100mA draw. They must be some common connection between them all before the fuses. I thought that was weird.

Then I proceeded to unhook every fuse I know of on the boat and outboard without ever seeing a change in draw. This included the ones under the dash in the panel, then the inlines under the dash, then the inlines in the bilge, then the HPDI's fuses in the fuse panel in there. Nothing. Then I unhooked each of my Lowrances and each black box, and nothing.

Tonight I will completely unhook my outboard from the boat to ensure that is not it. If I still see no change in draw, I think the only other option is a pinched wire between my bilge and my helm (where the fuses all are). I have read a lot of people talk about the bilge pump float switch, but that was cut off long ago, and I cannot find the wires that were cut from it.

Anything I am missing or other ideas or anything I am doing incorrectly?

2. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=958041
    This thread is 3 years old however it may lead you to the answer
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go