2020 200 ProXs 4 Stroke - Loses power and goes into guardian

2020 200 ProXs 4 Stroke Serial #2B686323, 76 hours

Bought this boat new to me 2 weeks ago. Ive had it out twice before with no issues, this past weekend, was cruising around 4500 RPMs, suddenly lost all power and had a long beep. Motor went into guardian mode and would only idle. I stopped, put in neutral, turned it off, waited a few seconds and started it again, ran fine with no issues until about 4 hours later, did the same thing, again turned it off and started it again, everything worked fine. I noticed nothing weird before or after except it seems like the water pressure fluctuates alot, without changing the RPMS Ive seen the water pressure fluctuate as much as 10 psi but it has done this every time I have had it in the water. I was hoping to come here for some advice, I've read online this could be something very simple. Of course like everything, Ive called 2 dealers within driving distance all stated the same thing, bring it in and would be 3-4 weeks before they could even look at it and advised most parts are 3-4 weeks behind. I am on a waiting list at local Bass Pro to have them check it and they were nice enough to let me hold a place in line without bringing the boat in and would call me 24 hours before they could look at it to bring it in then. Any thing I could try before letting it sit potentially 8 weeks? Thanks

2. Member
    Sounds like it is the overheat alarm. Are you trimming it too high? That can make the water pressure fluctuate, and has the water pump been changed?
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

3. Member
    If you run in some very thick weeds this can happen. Next time it happens stop shift into reverse and rev motor a little. If weeds are wrapped around lower unit you should see some come out from under boat. If this happens you should be able to plane off and continue. Watch the water pressure gauge and if WP does not pick up immediately shut down engine and look elsewhere for solution.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    Sounds like it is the overheat alarm. Are you trimming it too high? That can make the water pressure fluctuate, and has the water pump been changed?
    I dont think I have it trimmed too high but I guess that is a possibility, I haven't played with it enough to find that perfect trim height at cruising range. Im going to say water pump has not been changed at 76 hours, but do not know for sure. That was my first thought was to change the impeller and see what that does.

5. Member
    the only thing is, if it was the pump, it should be overheating at idle
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

First of all, shutting it off and restarting rarely, if ever, solves a mechanical problem. If you were running in weeds or picked up a plastic bag but that is about it. The motor’s PCM is logging every issue and its duration. If Mercury deems you abused the motor, they can deny a warranty claim. Other than getting it to a dealer, about all you can do is check all three water filters for blockage and change the water pump/gaskets.

If you had a Mercmonitor or one of the other latest Smartcraft instruments, it would tell you what is causing the alarm. Here are your options…
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=894952
    Last edited by 06 SB; 05-19-2022 at 06:30 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Have you flushed the system? I did this and blew a lot of junk out of the water pickup.
    175-300hp V6 and V8 Maintenance | Mercury Marine
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboutfishn View Post
    Have you flushed the system? I did this and blew a lot of junk out of the water pickup.
    175-300hp V6 and V8 Maintenance | Mercury Marine
    good idea. I just did mine a few weeks ago
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The odds of you accurately GUESSING which one of the many dozens of potential faults may have occurred are extremely low. Additionally, the PCM on the engine is keeping track of how many seconds the engine is operated with a fault condition present (ie: after the audible or Smartcraft Warning).

Remember that there are two warning strategies for your engine:

SOLID TONE: Shut engine down as soon as safely possible and get it to the dealer (continued running is NOT recommended).

Intermittent Beeps (approximately 6 seconds): Proceed safely to port, and get engine to dealer for service. Avoid operation other than what is necessary to safely get the boat off the water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The odds of you accurately GUESSING which one of the many dozens of potential faults may have occurred are extremely low. Additionally, the PCM on the engine is keeping track of how many seconds the engine is operated with a fault condition present (ie: after the audible or Smartcraft Warning).

Remember that there are two warning strategies for your engine:

SOLID TONE: Shut engine down as soon as safely possible and get it to the dealer (continued running is NOT recommended).

Intermittent Beeps (approximately 6 seconds): Proceed safely to port, and get engine to dealer for service. Avoid operation other than what is necessary to safely get the boat off the water.
    Good afternoon Don, I went ahead and got a vessel view, installed it today. It is not showing there are any observed faults on the motor. Would the vessel view be able to see the observed faults from before it was installed or would it have to be installed to be able to show the fault code? Thanks

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally will display what has occurred while it was attached. Limited historical data, but the unit must be in place in order for it to catch the data.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Normally will display what has occurred while it was attached. Limited historical data, but the unit must be in place in order for it to catch the data.
    Don, the fault I’m getting is 1021-25. Shift Position A from shift actuator. Says shift actuator not working properly. Any chance this is one of those easy fixes with a zip tie I’ve read about

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1021-25 indicates a very low voltage return from the Shift Actuator's position sensor. There is either a wiring problem, or the actuator has failed.