2 Stroke to 4 Stroke Swap Items Needed

Anyone have insight on what all I need to swap out my 2013 Mercury 250 ProXS 2 stroke and mount a new Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke? I’d like to have all the proper items before swapping.

I know I need a smaller tube and tube plate that connects motor to boat. Anyone have that part number? Smart craft software update?

Anything electrical or mechanical? Dealer I spoke with mentioned something about a water Pressure sensor?

My Specs:
    2013 Ranger Z520c
    old motor:2013 3.0l 250 Pro XS (1B965037) 866hours
    New motor: 2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke.
    Mercury Smart craft gauge.

What Mercury “Smartcraft Gauge” do you have? The small square one, a Mercmonitor or something else?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I have the round one that changes colors and has a ton of options.

4. mikesxpress
    Justin that's a Level 1 Merc monitor. It works just fine with the V8. You will need the water pressure sending unit installed which provides Smartcraft data. Are your existing dash gages Smartcraft or analog?

5. Member
    Gauges are analog I assume?. Water and speed have sending units in the back with tubing feeding them from engine.. Does that mean they are digital?

6. Member
    Anyone have the part number to the water pressure sending unit?

Quote Originally Posted by basshnter View Post
    Anyone have the part number to the water pressure sending unit?
    It will depend if you want analog AND digital water pressure or just digital. Contact Don or Rhonda for the correct parts.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Ok. I will. I think if I’m capable I’ll use both.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rigging tube, mounting bolts, extension harness for keyswitch harness, 975+ CCA AGM battery, Prop of approximately 2-3 pitch points LOWER, Steering cylinder if worn or compromised, 3/8" fuel line from tank all the way to engine (no bulb)... these are the most common needed items.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Fantastic! Thank you. Currently don’t have a bulb in-line of fuel line. Any recommendations on fuel line brand? My battery is sufficient it’s 1000cca AGM. I only have a Fury 25 and a Tempest Plus 25. Steering cylinder is a sea star pro and I’m getting new bushings. End caps replaced a few years ago. It should be good. A place like Fastenall be a good choice for bolts? Or is there a kit offered through Mercury? Thanks

11. Member
    need a 23p fury 3 likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basshnter View Post
    Fantastic! Thank you. Currently don’t have a bulb in-line of fuel line. Any recommendations on fuel line brand? My battery is sufficient it’s 1000cca AGM. I only have a Fury 25 and a Tempest Plus 25. Steering cylinder is a sea star pro and I’m getting new bushings. End caps replaced a few years ago. It should be good. A place like Fastenall be a good choice for bolts? Or is there a kit offered through Mercury? Thanks
    You can absolutely find hardware that meets the spec at Fastenal or other hardware suppliers. Personally, I use an OEM kit simply for the peace of mind that there won't ever be a discussion with the manufacturer about the specifications, durability or suitability of said hardware should something go wrong.

"Getting new bushings".... what bushings are you getting, specifically? The outer tiller plate bushings?

Most any A1-15 line (black) will be acceptable. Numerous manufacturers: MPI being one that I've had good service from.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Tiller bushing kit is what I just replaced since my last message. I think my steering is good to go. Does Mercury sell a engine mounting kit that has bolts?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- they're available in 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5" length kits.

15. Member
    Fantastic! Thanks guys