How to determine what data Merc Monitor or Smartcraft link can display for my motor?

I recently purchased a Vexus VX20 which comes with 3rd party gauges (Tach and speedo) for the Pro XS 250 4 stroke. They look similar to Smartcraft gauges but the button labels are a bit different and they are labeled "Vexus". I find the single line LCD very hard to read without glasses and especially in the sun. So I'm interested in swapping one for a Merc Monitor or getting Smartcraft Link to display on my Lowrance 12 at the console.

Is there a way to find out without going into a dealer what information I'd actually be able to display? Or does it depend on whatever sensors may have been installed on the motor? Can that be determined from the serial number (3B048616)?

I've considered Vessel View mobile but that doesn't really help me with being able to see data while driving, and it's not practical for me to try to mount a phone as a display.

Lastly, does Vessel View link provide enough additional benefit vs Smartcraft Link to justify the extra cost in a bass boat application?

Thanks for your help! I'm coming out of a Ranger with an ETEC G2 so the Merc gauges and accessories are new to me.

2. Member
    I added the VVL to my Lowrance. I had to install a digital water pressure sensor which is super easy. The data that I can recall without checking is: rpm’s, water pressure, coolant temp, voltage, trim, oil pressure, and also displays fault warnings if they occur. The VVL is pricey but the data is nice to have on your screen.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    I own Vessel View Link, Vessel View Mobile, and MercMonitor... but unfamiliar with "Smartcraft Link" that was mentioned, could you please explain or clarify. Is this perhaps a case of mixing up the name of a different Mercury product, I.E. "Smartcraft Connect" which appears to be the gateway for displaying engine data on Garmin, and Raymarine, which to my understanding would not work with Lowrance?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

The entire line of Smartcraft instruments have an almost endless amount if options and display methods. It will be MUCH easier to tell us what you want to see and go from there.

I will give you what I prefer. First of all, I hate tubes and analog gauges. I like simplicity and less maintenance. I have always gone with a Level1 Mercmonitor. I display Coolant temp, RPM, water pressure, oil temp/pressure, hours, fuel flow, fuel used on 3 or 4 “Favorites” screens. My primary running display is the first three items that I listed on a tri-data screen. I also have Systemlink gauges for Trim, Volts and Fuel. I currently have all HB Helix graphs and see no need to hook them to the engine for displays. I have it all at my finger tips.

On my last boat, I had Lowrance graphs. I pretty much did the same thing there but had a NMEA 2000 network so I was able to use the Lowrance Point1 to give inputs to the Mercmonitor for range and fuel efficiency data. I found it was not necessary as I did not use it very much.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=894952

Look heavily at Vessel View Link. It may be your best bet.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 05-19-2022 at 06:32 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    Is there a way to find out without going into a dealer what information I'd actually be able to display? Or does it depend on whatever sensors may have been installed on the motor? Can that be determined from the serial number (3B048616)?

I've considered Vessel View mobile but that doesn't really help me with being able to see data while driving, and it's not practical for me to try to mount a phone as a display.

Lastly, does Vessel View link provide enough additional benefit vs Smartcraft Link to justify the extra cost in a bass boat application?

Thanks for your help! I'm coming out of a Ranger with an ETEC G2 so the Merc gauges and accessories are new to me.
    Information you would be able to display is dependent on the engine you have, the limitations of the Smartcraft Display system you have, AND by which optional inputs you did (or did not) install.

For your engine, ALL basic engine parameters are there on the data streams. To achieve fuel level or water pressure, you will need to install optional components.

Smartcraft CONNECT (not link) is utilized primarily with Garmin and Raymarine graphs. The Vessel View LINK will work with Lowrance Gen-2 or above TOUCH units.

Thus it sounds like the Vessel View Link is going to be the best bang for your buck- get with Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of the Forum) for ordering assistance and special BBC member pricing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    The local Merc dealer recommended Smartcraft part 8M0165589 (Mercury-Mercruiser 8M0165589 NMEA 2000 CAN-P SmartCraft Gateway 1-4 Engines) and 878492K14 (junction box kit).
    Alternatively he said if I just want a Merc Monitor to get part 79-8M0119406.

Is the dealer info correct?

If I get the Merc Monitor and still want to display on Lowrance or Solix graphs do I still also need the gateway and junction box?

7. Member
    Apparently what the dealer meant was a "Smartcraft gateway" based on the part number he provided.

Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    I own Vessel View Link, Vessel View Mobile, and MercMonitor... but unfamiliar with "Smartcraft Link" that was mentioned, could you please explain or clarify. Is this perhaps a case of mixing up the name of a different Mercury product, I.E. "Smartcraft Connect" which appears to be the gateway for displaying engine data on Garmin, and Raymarine, which to my understanding would not work with Lowrance?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    The local Merc dealer recommended Smartcraft part 8M0165589 (Mercury-Mercruiser 8M0165589 NMEA 2000 CAN-P SmartCraft Gateway 1-4 Engines) and 878492K14 (junction box kit).
    Alternatively he said if I just want a Merc Monitor to get part 79-8M0119406.

Is the dealer info correct?

If I get the Merc Monitor and still want to display on Lowrance or Solix graphs do I still also need the gateway and junction box?
    DO NOT purchase either part number, based on what you are trying to do.

The first is soon to be obsolete (it's being replaced by Smartcraft Connect as mentioned above).

The second has NO GATEWAY, WHATSOEVER.

That J-Box part number is now obsolete (has been replaced by a new style J-box).

Since part numbers and pricing are a constantly fluid thing, this type of conversation is best handled DIRECTLY through the Parts Department.

Viable/best options based on what you've stated with be the Smartcraft Connect module OR a Level-2 MercMonitor kit (where Humminbird products will be networked with the MercMonitor on NMEA-2K).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    You will be happier to use whatever option allows you to display the data on your HDS 12. Text size and placement on the screen will both be an option.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IF that "HDS 12" is a Gen-2 or higher TOUCH screen model, you will hands-down want to go the VESSEL VIEW LINK route, which permits you to turn that Lowrance unit into a Flagship, Top-of-the-Smartcraft-Line "Vessel View Display".

11. Member
    Yes, it's a 12 Live. I also have a Solix 12 G3 at the console. What would I need for connectivity if I choose the Solix to display engine data?
    Thanks

Don, Is there any difference in data that can be displayed on a Lowrance HDS Live when comparing a Level-2 MercMonitor to a Vessel View Link?

13. Member
    I recommend either the Vessel View Link (to be used with Lowrance), or a level-1 or higher MercMonitor (which has an N2K gateway built in).
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S