‘21 Ranger RT 178 Questions

Hi All!

Ive been reading through the threads here for awhile and have learned much from all of you. I’ve been looking at Tin Boats for fishing local lakes and have found the used market difficult right now. Seems like even new boats are hard to come by! I’ve been a Salt Water Boater for most of my life and have only used 12’ row boats until now on Resevoirs as motors are not allowed where I used to live.

I found a VERY low hour, used once RT178 with the upgraded 75 hp engine, 70 lb MinnKota I-Pilot trolling motor, Garmin GPS chart plotter / depth finder and Ranger Cover. I’m looking for opinions from current owners - good, bad or otherwise on this boat. Thanks!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I expect you will find a favorable reply from RT178 owners. Seems to have satisfied owners.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Member
    I have a 2017 RT 178 with a Yamaha 75 on it. It’s a great boat, especially with the trolling motor down. Very stable with plenty of room. I’ve owned many boats through the years, the RT 178 is by far my favorite boat. You won’t be disappointed.

4. Member
    Thanks! I’ll let you know how it turns out

5. Member
    Jump on it. The 178/188 boats are superb with the TM down, especially an i-Pilot. You'll find that it will float in a foot, too.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    Great boat, comfortable, stable, well built, rides well. You won't be disappointed.

7. Member
    We have a similar RT178 to what you are looking at and for the price 5 years later we’re still happy with it. My wife was catching a bunch of crappie last week in 15mph winds with the spot lock on and out of nowhere she said I love spot lock. I didn’t think she even knew we had it or what it was.