Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering a wood pellet stove, Any Thoughts ?

Anybody that has one I would like to hear the pros and cons Thanks

Just bought one, only used 2 times. But so far happy with the results. To me the big issue is how easy is it to sear with. You know put Grill marks on your meat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I have had the Pitboss 820 for a few years now. It's been flawless. If it died today I would buy another no question. You can sear/grill on it as well.

Are you talking about the grills or the fireplaces?
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Are you talking about the grills or the fireplaces?
    Exactly, two completely different entities. Seems others are thinking “grill” where this post has me thinking “stove”.
    If stove then they are awesome. We removed a wood stove at our bird hunting property in Oregon and replaced it with a pellet stove. Best thing we did and wish we did it sooner.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

6. Member
    We’ve had our pellet stove for 8 or 9 years and love it. Heated with wood in our last house for 34 years then moved and the furnace just didn’t feel as good as the wood heat so we installed a pellet stove because I’m getting to old to cut firewood. It’s our main source of heat. We have a Breckwell. Easy to instali. They can be a little dusty but you can control most of that.

7. Member
    Traeger owner as a father's day gift so I really wasn't looking to buy one. It's fabulous for all slow cooking needs and is very easy. Mine does not get hot enough to skillet sear so use a gas grill for that and other quicker cooking needs. Would I buy another... I think I would look for something that had the ability to get hotter.

I had a pellet stove fireplace insert which at the time was hands down the best looking one on the market.
    It was a Harman and had an auger that fed pellets into the bottom of the burn pot rather than dropping them in from the top.
    It was pretty much automated and would control the heat by auto adjusting the blower fan, pellet feed rate and combustion fan. And also would auto ignite if it needed to.
    they’re expensive but a great stove. They also make a freestanding one.
    If your talking about a grill I have no idea. Lol

10. Member
    How much do you spend on pellets in a winter? Is it cheaper than natural gas?

11. Member
    We had one in our last house. Big 2story with basement and it was in the family
    room where a fire place should have been. Used it only in the evenings and weekends.
    it heated the whole down stairs. We used about 30-35 bags of pellets a year. We
    really liked the heat and it had its own t-stat on the wall that regulated the temp.
    I would have another in a heart beat. Good luck.

12. Member
    +1 on Harman Pellet Stoves! I had a one of their wood inserts prior to the pellet stove. Very well made products! We've been running their pellet stove for about 5yrs now. Great stove!

13. Member
    I have a pellet stove and it is my primary source of heat.
    I also have a campchef pellet grill and love it.

14. Moderator
    Have heard nothing but good things about Harmon pellet stoves. Will be the one i'll get after the woodstove.

We have one but stopped using it a couple years ago. Ours was one of the first ever built and they have come a long way since ours. We would buy a ton of pellets and the would last a couple years. Only burned in the evening and weekends. It does use electricity at all times. Not sure if it saved much money, but the basement was t-shirt and shorts when the temp outside was around 0.

16. Member
    Pellet stove, Harman, Blaze King, Lopi, are the ones I have looked at. Now as far as a furnace I have Fahrenheit Endurance and it has been very good. If I heated just with it I think between 5 to 7 tons of pellets for a 3600sq ft home. And yes we are in a cold climate. We still have the heat on right now. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

17. Member
    Did we ever figure out whether the OP is asking about heating or smoking? We have a Quadrafire insert that we like pretty well. Burn approx 2 ton a year in addition to a bunch of oil. I think it's about $250/ton if you pick it up and do the handling. Not sure how the efficiency numbers stack up but I prefer a wood burning stove for the quiet and radiant heat. Pellet stove is cleaner and more convenient esp. when hooked up to a programmable thermostat. If you get one, BUY AN ASH VAC. You don't want to handle that ash indoors

Sorry for not getting back so quick had to take brother to Hospital havent' been on computer, he is doing ok. I was referring to a heating stove, I have a wood stove now and I am getting to old for cutting wood, Thanks for the replies

19. Member
    I’ve heated with a Harmon XXV freestanding stove for the past 8 years. We use it as our primary heating source and we couldn’t be happier. Much better than our heat pump & electric backup. We set the built in thermostat and it takes care of itself. We use about 3 1/2 tons of pellets in a cold winter, a little less when when warmer.
    The average price we pay for pellets are about $200 a ton if you buy them in the summer.
    Much easier and cleaner than a wood burner.😎🇺🇸

20. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Baked View Post
    I’ve heated with a Harmon XXV freestanding stove for the past 8 years. We use it as our primary heating source and we couldn’t be happier. Much better than our heat pump & electric backup. We set the built in thermostat and it takes care of itself. We use about 3 1/2 tons of pellets in a cold winter, a little less when when warmer.
    The average price we pay for pellets are about $200 a ton if you buy them in the summer.
    Much easier and cleaner than a wood burner.
    just out of curiosity where do you store 3-1/2 tons of pellets?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast