Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will Vexus make a more affordable fiberglass option?

What do you guys think? Would love to upgrade in the next year or two to a fiberglass boat and would definitely love to stay with Vexus. But a 18 or 19’ model that isn’t 90k rigged is more my speed. What y’all think?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

2. Member
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

3. Member
    I don't think there's any incentive for Vexus to build a smaller fiberglass bass boat as it doesn't meet the business goals of Vexus which has previously been stated by Keith Daffron. Ultimately, time will tell I suppose though, maybe there will be enough demand for them to create such a boat.

I truly enjoy fishing in my 2021 Vexus AVX 1980 and this season I will be taking it exclusively to Chequamegon Bay (a small 10x6-square mile portion of Lake Superior) and seeing if it can handle some adverse wind/wave running conditions so I can see if I should sell my 2001 Ranger 522 DVX or wait for the global supply chain to ease up a little in order to upgrade/add the trolling motor, MFDs, add Lowrance AT, and add Ionic lithium batteries.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    I think you may see a 19’ option targeting more the weekend angler but I don’t think you’ll label it affordable. Vexus has aimed their “tin” line to be affordable. I’d like to see it tho
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    For instance, triton has the 179 and 189 trx, Basscat has the bobcat, Sabre, and Panteras. The Sabre and Pantera II both had a special package that comes with 3 graphs and ultrex. 50 and 58k rigged. I would love a 50-60k rigged glass Vexus.

My AVX just gets blown around in the wind too much.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    What do you guys think? Would love to upgrade in the next year or two to a fiberglass boat and would definitely love to stay with Vexus. But a 18 or 19’ model that isn’t 90k rigged is more my speed. What y’all think?
    Yeah I dont think Vexus will be producing a cheaper glass bass boat anytime soon. The biggest reason being is that they really just have no market incentive to do so. Other reasons are their AVX line of boats are basically marketed to be just as good as glass bass boats and handle just as well. They are also built with stretch formed gunnels and a locker layout that would rival many glass bass boats. It would be a massive undertaking for them financially and engineering wise to engineer and manufacture a 18 or 19 foot boat that sets its self apart from the AVX line with out detracting from it. The AVX1980 is their most popular model boat and Im sure Vexus is more than happy to keep it that way. The boat would also have to be significantly cheaper than the VX line while still being able to set itself apart from the AVX line, but the cost of it would still need to be justifiable in contrast with it features and functionality.

Besides all that the market just does not dictate a necessity for Vexus to take aim at building a cheaper glass boat, especially seeing as boat prices are through the roof and it has not hindered people at all from purchasing them

7. Member
    As much as they want to market that the AVX is as good as a glass boat, it’s just not. I love my boat, but even my buddys pos 20 years old skeeter doesn’t get blown around like the AVX does In wind.

8. Member
    I looked at the AVX's when they first came out. It is definitely a leap forward for tin boats. I was looking to downsize because we moved and we're in tight quarters. Everything Ive seen and heard was all positive while still waiting for peoples reviews. Once I heard people saying they are being blown around like all tin boats, I passed. I love their glass boats but its way too expensive for a toy. If they came out with an 18', I'd be all over it but price still would be a huge factor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    As much as they want to market that the AVX is as good as a glass boat, it’s just not. I love my boat, but even my buddys pos 20 years old skeeter doesn’t get blown around like the AVX does In wind.
    There's always a compromise somewhere. It's obvious the "budget" line is the AVX and VX is their flagship.

Once sales start slowing down on their 20'/21' models, then maybe you'll see them build the 18'/19' to attract more buyers.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    I looked at the AVX's when they first came out. It is definitely a leap forward for tin boats. I was looking to downsize because we moved and we're in tight quarters. Everything Ive seen and heard was all positive while still waiting for peoples reviews. Once I heard people saying they are being blown around like all tin boats, I passed. I love their glass boats but its way too expensive for a toy. If they came out with an 18', I'd be all over it but price still would be a huge factor
    Well for everything you have to take the good with the bad. You dont gain anything in this life without sacrificing something. It sucks, but that doesnt negate its truth. There are pros and cons to a glass bass boat the same way there are pros and cons to an aluminum bass boat. What dictates whether your decision to choose one or the other was a good one was how well you thought out what characteristics you require in a boat. The days of tin rigs being a downgrade are in the past, thanks to modern materials, engineering, and manufacturing. No matter what you choose, you would be wise to give it plenty of thought, because whether you go glass or aluminum these things arent cheap.

Tough competition in 18' market.

Triton 179 TRX, Ranger Z185, Caymas CX18SS. You can pick up the Ranger or the Caymas with a Mercury 150 Pro XS right now for around $45,000. I can get a Caymas right now with Garmin 9" graphs and a Force for $46,000 out the door. Ranger Z185's are going for $44,000 lightly equipped. Triton 179 TRX with a 115 Mercury Pro XS is at around $35,000. As long as you can keep in that ballpark they will sell. Go over that and they will sit on the lot. After talking to a couple of dealers everyone wants the higher HP bigger boats so the market is limited from a manufacturer standpoint.

12. BBC SPONSOR
    I just hope they keep refining the aluminum line instead of making a small me to glass boat.

13. Member
    I like that Caymas a lot. Just did a build online and sent the info to a dealer. Maybe I can get a good trade for the Vexus.

Is Keith Daffron still with Vexus?

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Is Keith Daffron still with Vexus?

yes

Getting blown around in the wind is not as much a handling issue as it is a weight issue. The new trolling motors eliminate that issue for the most part. I came out of a ZX200 to my 1880. The 1880 actually has more deck space and rides just as well. They wind does move the boat around more but it’s not like I’m in a Lund boat parachute. My Force does a great job of countering the wind.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

17. Member
    Ask any glass boat manufacturer the percentages of their larger flagship models to the smaller lower cost models. Not many 18’ers sold by anyone.

As for the wind effect…. Its true, it happens - but its also cheaper. Now you can get poles and spot lock and not worry about it and still be in the same price as a glass without. Now your not blowing around.

18. Member
    Yeah I need to break down and get some poles.

19. Member
    I am very happy with my 1880 and it does fine in the wind with the Ultrex spot lock. Like Diversity210 stated, boats are expensive so give it plenty of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter64 View Post
    yes
    You sure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast