Thread: Shimano Met MGL

Shimano Met MGL

I recently cleaned and lubed my metanium and after putting it back together the dang thing free spools like crazy. Even with the spool tension knob tightened all the way down a half ounce weight still drops. With the knob backed off to the point that spool play is gone it drops like a rock. Before I could cast 1/8 ounce shakey heads and weightless senkos 40+ yards no problem. I've made sure the pads that the spool shafts run on aren't soaked with oil, but I am at a loss as to what it could be. Any ideas what to check next?

2. Member
    I don't use any spool tension on any reel with any bait unless it's to combat unconditioned heavy flouro misbehaving. Still, I think if you crank it down then it should work as intended. My 1st guess would be that some shims are missing or are present but dented from spool tension use.

3. Member
    Take it back apart, follow the diagram, and see if you install everything correctly. I had something similar happen once and the drag pressure plate was upside down.

4. Member
    That’s what it was, there’s supposed to be two spacers under the cap. I guess the square one fell out, that is for the help.