Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Guinea Fowl for tick control

Anyone use Guinea fowl for tick control? I have a property we purchased in October 2021 that is consumed with Ticks right now. It has a small 1/4 pond that my wife, kids and I spend a lot of time at but right now within seconds ticks will cover you. I keep the grass and weeds down around the pond and due to run off concerns with water quality and fish health I am not able to treat around the pond. I have been researching and the only true option I think I have is some Guineas. Will they stay put around the pond if thats where I feed them? I also hunt within 20 yards of the pond. Will these dudes run my deer off? Will they wonder off my property and be a nuisance for the neighbors?
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Coyotes will inhale them without a coop to put them away at night and they will wander away without somebody feeding them regularly.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Yes, they will annoy the neighbors because they're noisy. I can't attest to their effectiveness for tick control but they certainly have a good rep for that purpose. I'm trying diatomaceous earth this year. So far it hasn't helped but I might have put it on too light.

4. Member
    Just get chickens. They will eat ticks and bugs also. The eggs are edible and they are much quieter. I am sure I can record audio from a guinea. They are all hard to keep alive if they roam free.

They do roam some. Feeding regularly will help keep them close. They will help with the bug control and they’re not as bad as chickens about getting on top of your cars. Guinea fowl are pretty good watch dogs and are aware of danger. Coyotes say they taste just like chicken.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    We're in the exact same situation as the OP, trying to figure out the best route. We haven't done anything yet but some mentioned on here a while back about saving toilet paper rolls (the inner cardboard part) and lint from the dryer. Spray the lint with permethrin, stuff lint in rolls, spread throughout the property...mice use it for nests and the spray kills the ticks that the mice carry.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    We're in the exact same situation as the OP, trying to figure out the best route. We haven't done anything yet but some mentioned on here a while back about saving toilet paper rolls (the inner cardboard part) and lint from the dryer. Spray the lint with permethrin, stuff lint in rolls, spread throughout the property...mice use it for nests and the spray kills the ticks that the mice carry.
    Thermacell sells exactly what you are describing if you don't want to make your own.

8. Member
    Wondercide Flea and Tick seems to work really well.

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    They are so annoying. Very noisy all day long. They eat ticks, but you and any neighbors will be happy when the foxes eat them. Place some tick tubes around the property. treat your clothes, and boots/shoes with permethrin
    Thanos was the hero

Very loud and hard to keep something else from getting them.

11. Member
    They can be loud, and I know of people's that don't go in the coop at night, so they get picked off. Ours however do go into the coop at night and even use the chicken's nesting boxes so we get their eggs. They supposedly do a good job on bugs, but I don't know if I believe that a handful of birds could put a reasonable dent in the fly, tick, whatever bug population. They do make good alarms when someone is coming onto the property

12. Member
    They are LOUD. They eat a lot of ticks, but did I mention they are LOUD!
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

13. Member
    They are loud but you get used to the noise and I would much rather deal with the noise instead of a bunch of ticks everytime you walk in the yard.

14. Member
    Your area bobcats will love you for it.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Just get chickens. They will eat ticks and bugs also. The eggs are edible and they are much quieter. I am sure I can record audio from a guinea. They are all hard to keep alive if they roam free.

If this is anything like other Guineas, just make a model and change the mantra...

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cargo_cult

These pics are dated so the satellite dish has materialized and they even get the Sunday package It is the time difference that makes it suck..

download-2.jpg <--- here Darren is modeling the 'New Reality™ glasses...

16. Banned
    Owls ate the seven I had,they were pretty cool and would come the yard like a little army on a mission.

17. Member
    Sure make great watch dogs also. They are LOUD!

18. Member
    They are loud and not very intelligent. Chickens would be a better investment.

19. Member
    They decimate insect populations. Mosquitos, ticks, ants, whatever. My parents had a few of them randomly show up at their house several years ago and they went to town eating everything. It was enough that even the bats left the area for that summer. By the end of the summer, they were all eaten by Coyotes though.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They are loud and not very intelligent. Chickens would be a better investment.
    You sir are correct! I already stated my opinion on this topic. We have one. Her name is Penny(the guinea). She is a bossy beatch to the chickens. Ugly bird. Looks like she is made up of left over parts. God said: throw the left over parts together I will call it a Guinea.