Thread: 2007 optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2007 optimax

sn: 1b506215
    model 2007 115 hp optimax 115exlpto
    max rpm 5750

i have an issue, the motor at idle sounds normal, when increase rpm it has a tick that is very noticeable.
    power is as good as always

i have never gotten near the RPM that is says is max, the motor is all stock as I know ( bought used) my max rpm is 4900-5000 ish

the issue started after i warmed up the motor, idled out of no wake throttled up to 3/4 throttle and ran maybe 400 yards, motor slowed and died as if ran out of gas. i checked the priming bulb and it was very empty, i pumped it up and motor ran fine for 400 yards, died bulb empty again, reprimand and went on no more issues except the tick was there and is not going away.

plugs are not wet fouled, #3 is dry carbon black light filmed but not effecting spark test.

the ticking is in gear or in neutral,
    I have compression checked the motor it is 97 #3, 107 #2 , 104 #1.
    the compressor is new a year and half ago, with the belt removed it has no noise when turned over by hand.
    the motor with spark plugs removed has no sounds when turned over by hand
    the alternator has no issues when turned over by hand
    the system makes no noise when turned over by hand and is no gear or neutral.

if someone can tell me how to upload the video you will be able to hear the sound of this ticking.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suggestion: To easily rule out the air compressor as a potential cause, connect regulated SHOP external air supply to the air pressure port (regulated to 94 psi).

Remove belt completely, supply water and start engine to see if sound is present (if should IDLE on external shop air).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I will do that assuming that the compressor checks out, where might I go next? I have a video clip of the motor and it has the sound is there someway I can send that to you for a listen?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're welcome to post it on an internet site (such as Youtube) and provide a link. I do NOT accept videos as I can't afford the bandwidth for everyone's gremlins.

Note that it's very difficult to ascertain "sounds" and their origin by monitor, keyboard and speaker.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U4wbRVKsQsU

this is the you tube of the motor running in idle then at 1600-2000 rpm

6. Member
    test engine as suggested above ,hard to tell , do not run it any more until noise is found
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    The shop that has it tested by removing tension for a split second and the ticking goes away. Is it possible that it is from the tensioner?

8. Member
    more likely load on compressor relieved , anythings possible , bearing spin smooth and quiet ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    The compressor spins quiet. I went and used a stethoscope and the noise is coming from the tension arm. When they pulled it apart the bushings are worn out and causing the arm to dance around

10. Member
    many hrs on that mtr ?????

11. Member
    Around 450

on the new compressor it is 35 hours

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keyboard/monitor/speakers are a pretty tough way to try to provide an accurate diagnosis.... but looking at that video, I don't notice the sound UNTIL the engine is shifted into gear.

13. Member
    That’s only due to the fact that I did not keep it in neutral. It makes that sound in forward reverse and neutral all at about the same RPM. If idle is 650-700 ish. The the clicking really starts at 13-1600 rpm. I have the tensioner parts coming as the bearings and bushing were worn and sloppy. The tensioner arm was really dancing around when running which did not make sense to me. I also have a new belt on the way. I have the old compressor that the last Easter egg hunter ,aka parts changer took off so if it still makes tick I will change it out as well

14. Member
    So the compressor was changed out for the old one,( 2 mechanics ago Easter egg hunting) said it needed to be replaced. Glad I kept it, along with the tension wheel. The good news is the tension wheel bounces around a lot less. But the ticking is still there. I have put the motor in to prime oil pump mode just because I wanted to make sure with the oil pump lines being moved all was good. The motor runs the same, smokes a bunch more but to be expected. Any idea where to go next? Is there a chance the third cylinder having lower compression could be indication of con rod bearing issue?

15. Member

16. Member

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like you've got actual mechanical damage in #3 that's causing that sound, as well as the lower compression.

Will either need to be torn down and corrected, OR it will continue to get worse (with potentially much more serious failure).

18. Member
    Would it be best to reman the whole thing or just go in and replace the item causing the knocking?

19. Member

I have put pressure on the pistons one at a time to check the wrist pins, I have put pressure on the con rod caps, but hon the bottom and thrust the noise still continues???? I do t see hot spots or anything that shows bearing failure. Any more ideas short of pulling the mains?

Last edited by Usalms1; 05-30-2022 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Add video link

20. Member
    image.jpgimage.jpgThink I found it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast