Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    What I don't understand is how so many people have this much disposable income.
    Believe it or not, there are quite a few people who aren't house-poor and live within their means...to the point they can EASILY afford a 10 or 12 year boat loan. There are also people who live paycheck to paycheck with a good credit score and zero retirement savings....they also find room for a big boat loan.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Believe it or not, there are quite a few people who aren't house-poor and live within their means...to the point they can EASILY afford a 10 or 12 year boat loan. There are also people who live paycheck to paycheck with a good credit score and zero retirement savings....they also find room for a big boat loan.
    Yup. As long as they can do the monthly payment they don't care how long the note is written for.
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Yup. As long as they can do the monthly payment they don't care how long the note is written for.
    Yes, you are 100% correct. And people dont even look at what they are paying...its just "how much can I pay per month".

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    Yes, you are 100% correct. And people dont even look at what they are paying...its just "how much can I pay per month".
    This way of thinking is most likely why most have very little to no savings as has been reported. End result they have no plan for tomorrow or if/ when an emergency arises.

5. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    This way of thinking is most likely why most have very little to no savings as has been reported. End result they have no plan for tomorrow or if/ when an emergency arises.
    But they’ll have the baddest boat at the ramp to win $150
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

6. Member
    Help me understand the difference between a brand new bass boat and one from say....2005? I dont see any significant chances. Motors and electronics have advanced but boats really havnt except for a few modifications to layouts and even then its minor.
    Aluminums have had some changes, Vexus comes to mind.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    What I don't understand is people paying the prices. It gets to a point where it's just plain crazy and stupid to me, its just a money pit to catch a fish. My little $18k tin rig has won more money than most $100k rigs and its actually more satisfying doing it in it watching they're deep down look of discust when I do. No its not as comfortable or nice and doesn't look as cool a $100k rig but it gets the job done and saves me $80k that I could invest in something that makes me money. I guess some will pay anything to look cool or try to be like the few on TV.
    Guessing that looks of “discust” is just them being disappointed in their fishing day. Trust me, nobody cares what boat you are running on tourney day.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Member
    It won’t go down. People are willing to pay absurd prices now, why would they drop and cut into profits? Same with housing, construction materials etc. the “stimulated the economy” threads are a perfect example. Yet those same people complain about the cost. We get it, you’re rich and still pay those inflated prices .
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    when they do go down, fuel will be out of site along with all commodities and you will likely be out of work also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. #FRB
    When I bought my $18000 tin rig new over 6 years ago I was also considering going glass with a 150hp. I could have made the payments but at the same time couldn't justify it. I paid my boat off the end of last year and still feel like I made the right decision with what I bought. Looking at prices now makes me glad I'm not looking to buy now! Chances are high of this being my last boat and I'm fixing to turn 40. I know I'll redo the interior at some point but hopefully not have to hang a new motor on it. Plenty of older folks with older but well maintained boats that they bought 30+ years ago when they were working and making at least decent money. I'll probably be one of those guys in 25-30 years. I live well within my means and want to be able to retire while I'm still able to enjoy it. Little over 25 years to go! Or is it 27 now? lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    I remember buying an 18 foot Triton in 1998. I would not go up to a 20 foot because it cost $2500.00 more. That money wouldn't even buy a trolling motor now. I coul dhave afforded it but stuck to my budget.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EufaulaHammer View Post
    Eventually the increase in interest rates are going to catch up with the market and people wont be able to finance them for 20 years and get approved
    This is right on .... interest rates will drive the payments outta sight

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanchejoe View Post
    This is right on .... interest rates will drive the payments outta sight
    I'm sitting back and patiently waiting to see what happens with cash in hand ready to snap up a deal on the right boat.

14. Member
    Funny question. My dad could never afford a full tricked out boat. He bought a 16 foot Slyvan and put a 50 and 9.9 on it. We went fishing for forty years in that boat. My first boat was a stretch. I moved to Florida and just dreamed about the big Rangers, Hydrosports etc with big motors. My wife and I scrapped together enough money to buy a 15.5 foot Skeeter Strada 80 with a 50. I never had so much fun. Four years ago I bought a 2011 Skeeter FX 20with a 250 loaded with all the toys. I paid $35,000 and it still looks new.

So excuse me if I don't get all this talk about boats costing $100,000. Unless your blind to the choices you have boats will always be to expensive. It's life, some people will never blink as they buy a brand new $100,000 plus bass boat. Some other guy wanting to take his kid fishing will bring home a brand new $25,000 aluminum bass boat with a 20 hp home and have more fun and pride than the other guy.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

15. Member
    This topic is enjoyable. Florida has over a million registered boats. The vast majority are not bass boats... With this, the bass community gets all crazy over a bass boat at 80K. Come on down to Miami, Ft. Meyers, etc., and you will see boats with six engines that cost 80k a piece just for the engine.

Houses cost 15K in the 80s so odds are good prices are not coming down for boats.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Just think of all the money you could make showing the big boys how it's done..
    Watch out! That self stroking, back patting stuff will come back to haunt you.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    I'm sitting back and patiently waiting to see what happens with cash in hand ready to snap up a deal on the right boat.
    You might be waiting a long time before you see these financed boats on the market at a reasonable price. A lot of these boatowners are buried in payments and will take years to catch up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    You might be waiting a long time before you see these financed boats on the market at a reasonable price. A lot of these boatowners are buried in payments and will take years to catch up.
    No rush as I have a boat now but will upgrade as said when the right deal comes along.

Doubtful, when gas went Up years ago most builders blamed petroleum was the reason for the super high and fast escalation in prices. The fact that gelcoat is a petroleum based product. Yet when petroleum prices came back way down….. but prices never did….. so going off of that example it seems unlikely.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

20. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Trust me, nobody cares what boat you are running on tourney day.[/QUOTE]

If they didn't they wouldn't spend $100k.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast