Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More oil issues.

I came to this area to ask about a Mercury DFI oil issue I have discovered but was surprised to see so many other oil issue topics. Maybe my experience can help others root cause their oil fill issue. First - my motor is a 2012 250 proxs. Originally my issue started with oil not filling the motor mounted tank. I pulled the pick up tube from the remote tank and found the screen plugged with some gel like stuff. After cleaning the screen and oil lines I was able to get the onboard tank to fill slowly. This lasted a couple days. Then I was told I might want to change the crankcase check valve. This didn’t help. I eventually just had the whole oil system replaced - 3gal tank, hoses and several valves. This solved the problem for a while as the boat was returned from the shop full of oil. I recent had to refill the oil tank for the first time since the full replacement. I was pouring the first gallon in and the last third started to come out much lighter colored and lumpy- like a gel. I stopped pouring and went to gallon two and found the same thing. I usually just invert the jug in the funnel and don’t pay that much attention which I think led to the first issue. I’ve got 2 more gallons on the shelf that were bought at the same time which I assume are bad as well.

I contacted Mercury for an explanation and possibly a replacement of at least my sealed containers that are likely junk and possibly the 2 gallons I already threw away. The response I got is that they do not recommend using oil more than a year old. I thought this was strange since there is no date of manufacture or anything to know how old the oil is when you buy it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Seems like a BS answer from Mercury to me and a lot of my $ down the drain.

2. Member
    I have 11 gallons of DFI oil and they all have a tiny printed date code up near the jug's handle.

Check your bad jugs again and let me know the date code.

This may help you.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....%20or%20cloudy.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 05-17-2022 at 08:47 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

3. Member
    I looked again very closely and there is in black ink on a black bottle???? Up near the cap and to the side. I was able to hold a flashlight just right and read SLA-09517477. What does this mean and why would it be so well hidden in plain sight? Oh and I did find a copyright year for the “Product of Mercury marine” of 2016 on the label for those that might think the 09 means it’s from 2009. It’s not.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Been a while since I searched those codes- but it appears that the oil is roughly the same vintage as the Copyright notice on the label (within a year).

In general, 3 Years is the accepted time frame. It would be very unusual for someone to provide you with the answer you were apparently given.

Either way- there is obviously a problem with at least the one bottle you had. Don't necessarily assume that all of the other bottles are the same: They may be, and they may NOT be. Easy to pour contents through a paint-strainer to inspect them.

From the stock that I've used/sold here in the dealership, I've not had any problems with congealed, clumpy or lumpy oil from FULLY SEALED containers.

Once exposed to atmospheric moisture... the potential of water/moisture intrusion exists, and as little as a teaspoon can make a real mess of a gallon of oil.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Serial # 1B913625 - sorry.

Below is the merc response - copy & paste. I also created a video on gallon #3 with same results and completely plugging the paint strainer. Trying to figure out how to post. Yeah I’m a little ticked off. I bought 3 cases (3 gallons each) a few years ago and verified there was no mention of expiration before doing so. Now throwing away $200+ in junk oil, had $600+ in repair costs, wasted time and on top of it all - missed 1st place in a tournament due to the limp home mode which was $5k difference from the 2nd place we got. I am certain this is quality control issues and nothing to do with shelf life. I also have never seen this in any of the Stihl chainsaw oils, vehicle oils or anything I usually buy way more than I need just in case.

From Merc….
    Thank you for your email regarding your Mercury engine, serial #1B913625. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.
    Mercury Marine would not suggest you use oil that has been sitting for over 1 year, as oil will break down over time. Any 2 stroke engine oil will work for your engine, as long as you see TCW-3 on the bottle.
    We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.
    Sincerely,
    Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance
    Ref: 2022-00066931
    **This email address is not monitored for replies.**
    Please do not reply to this email. Should you need further email contact, please go through our website (www.mercurymarine.com ) under the 'contact' heading.
    Last edited by smbassman; 05-18-2022 at 07:34 PM.

6. Member
    I tell ya, I have seen oil break down, aka additives falling out, but nothing a brisk shake won’t fix, I always filter my oil going into boat tank, I use merc racing oil and always filter and have never ever had a problem.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    They didn’t recommend opti oil. Said any oil. Sure that was mercury

8. Member
    any TCW-3 will work ,and it will didnt say it was the best or whats recommended
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I tell ya, I have seen oil break down, aka additives falling out, but nothing a brisk shake won’t fix, I always filter my oil going into boat tank, I use merc racing oil and always filter and have never ever had a problem.
    Goll dang - I’m not sure I’d be okay shaking up and filtering out the lumps and crossing my fingers on a $20k motor. That’s why I bought “the good stuff”!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I must be pretty lucky or something. I've personally dispensed hundreds of gallons of that oil and still haven't seen the first clump of anything come from a container (gallon, 2.5 gallon, or 55 gallon).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    as have i same results ^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    My guess is there was a quality problem with this batch and not shelf life but who knows. For awareness I did post a video of what the issue is. Sorry I don’t do videos as you can tell by me giving the phone to my kid! Sorry for all the zooming and shakiness. But it should highlight what to look for. I think I’m going to switch to amsoil or some other premium oil as I don’t trust the Mercury oil anymore.

search for “Mercury DFI oil gone bad” to find the video on YouTube if you are interested.

13. Member
    I bought a 55-gallon drum of DFI oil around 10 years ago and will probably use it all up this season........No clumps in 10 years.

14. Member
    So I too had the issue with Premium plus gelling. A few times. Never figured out the reason. But I cleaned and drained everything and started over with DFI oil and never have had the issue again.

15. Member
    Super important to use a funnel with screen. It definitely removes debris before it enters your system and also gives you a visual of any problems like the gunk you speak of. It will likely show up on the screen so you can catch it before it enters sensitive areas or worse. I used an all metal one which includes a very fine-mesh metal screen but you might want to try this one...

WirthCo 32002 Funnel King Red Safety Funnel with Screen/Strainer – Funnel for Oil, Fuel, Gas, and Automotive – Large 2 Quart Capacity

But definitely never pour straight into the tank from your oil container.
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Meant to ask you- Where is Vassar?

17. Member
    Dfi oil is a naturally dirty product, what I said will work, shook up Lumps won’t be present. Buy more stuff if uncomfortable. All oil additives separate over time. It does not actually go bad in a sealed container, the additives come out, shaking, stirring vibrating whatever will remix additives. Will that stop dfi oil from separating, nope
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

18. Member
    Or actually any oil, merc racing oil is a high quality product, Mercury premium plus is a good product. Gelled oil is from additives dropping or and a small amount of moisture in product causing issue. Filtering as oil is poured out of a container is always a great idea, shaking the container of oil in container prior to pouring is good, already gelled oil I would swap with fresh and clean tank, but oil u already have in container shaken briskly prior to pouring, and filtering as poured, is a great idea
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbassman View Post
    I came to this area to ask about a Mercury DFI oil issue I have discovered but was surprised to see so many other oil issue topics. Maybe my experience can help others root cause their oil fill issue. First - my motor is a 2012 250 proxs. Originally my issue started with oil not filling the motor mounted tank. I pulled the pick up tube from the remote tank and found the screen plugged with some gel like stuff. After cleaning the screen and oil lines I was able to get the onboard tank to fill slowly. This lasted a couple days. Then I was told I might want to change the crankcase check valve. This didn’t help. I eventually just had the whole oil system replaced - 3gal tank, hoses and several valves. This solved the problem for a while as the boat was returned from the shop full of oil. I recent had to refill the oil tank for the first time since the full replacement. I was pouring the first gallon in and the last third started to come out much lighter colored and lumpy- like a gel. I stopped pouring and went to gallon two and found the same thing. I usually just invert the jug in the funnel and don’t pay that much attention which I think led to the first issue. I’ve got 2 more gallons on the shelf that were bought at the same time which I assume are bad as well.

I contacted Mercury for an explanation and possibly a replacement of at least my sealed containers that are likely junk and possibly the 2 gallons I already threw away. The response I got is that they do not recommend using oil more than a year old. I thought this was strange since there is no date of manufacture or anything to know how old the oil is when you buy it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Seems like a BS answer from Mercury to me and a lot of my $ down the drain.
    Bassman,

Interesting ! I am on my second bout with the same issue ! First time was in February of this year, in a tournament ! I too "found the screen plugged with some gel like stuff. " the first time this happened. I ended up cleaning the whole system out, replacing the white check valve/filter near engine mounted tank, and cleaned out the brass check valve at the engine as my Dealer had none. Used brake clean and compressed air. This got oil flowing again. I have yet to get into boat, will do this weekend, since the boat acted up again for second time this past Friday, PREFISHING FOR SAME TOURNAMENT CIRCUIT ON SAME LAKE ! I've ordered a new brass check valve ( already have a 2nd white plastic one on hand ) and expect to find the gel like substance on my screen again ! I think a repeat of cleaning and replacing is all that will be needed to get things flowing again. Don answered my question about me possibly running my boat too softly; at around 4k rpm, answer was no, 3500-4800 is the sweet spot for efficiency and cleanliness. It has been really bugging me about the oil though ! I buy my oil from my Dealer's bulk, and hate to offend them so have not asked if there is possibly an issue with their stock. But I am guilty of removing the very fine mesh screen from my funnel as, at times, especially when prepping to go fishing I am inpatient ! It was taking too long to flow !
    Last edited by TonyL; 05-25-2022 at 01:27 PM.

~Tony

20. Member
    My issues with gelling oil was also bought from a dealers bulk sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast