2009 optimax 225 proxs compressor end cap wear, model # 1225p73ed

i recently experience a drop in performance both at the hole shot which shot the nose of the boat straight up and struggled to plane under load. while at wot the boat seemed to be plowing as the spray was beside me of the side and slight forward. she didn't seem to have the lift to get completely on pad. the wot rpms were around 5430 which normally were around 5560-5600. the engine sounded fine but she wasn't performing as normal. so when i got home i started my investigations. thinking i had a compressor issue due to an overheat on it last season i started there. i pulled the end cap to see if i had any signs or metal in the housing. it was clean and the rod and bearings looked good. however i did notice the wear on the end cap shaft. see picture of wear. after that inspection and reinstalled i started a compression test. at that point i started with #6. as soon as i put my hand on the plug wire it slide off. i suspect the issue was the loose plug wire. i inspected the plug ,cleaned it gently , and installed to torq specs. i cleaned the plug wire end cap and pushed it back on with that tight snap feel. my question is : is the wear on the compressor end cap normal or do i need to go ahead and replace the compressor with the new updated black one from mercury. mine is that bronze color one with 285 hours on it? the engine serial number is as follows 1225p73ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My 2007 compressor failed due to wear on the crank journal. All that metal missing from that journal went somewhere. All of my rod end bearing rollers felt good, but you should check yours. A lot of compressor failures involve that crank journal.

3. Member
    the rod end bearings looked good and smooth. but i tend to believe that your rt about that metal. being that its on the inside would that metal make it into the air rail. is the opposite end where it makes the compressed air that feeds the air rail?

4. Member
    New compressor is needed now

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... as well as return oil line filters, flush the upper portion of the return oil lines, and have the rails/hoses/direct Injectors cleaned, validated and tested.

See Rhonda's post (at the top of the Forum) for parts assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    i showed my mercury man this picture today. he says shes done! said its a wonder it hasnt destroyed the rod bearing. ordered one of two available compressors in the nation. following dons advice we are gonna flush the entire system and clean the injectors and replace return oil filters. i made a huge run in a top gun tournament last saturday. thankful we never had a failure to leave us in the albemarle sound with no power. thanks everyone for your comments as they are very appreciated!! will post what we find when completed.

7. Member
    you are so correct my friend! thanks for your input appreciated!

8. Member
    don is there any reason to think this may have caused piston or ring damage or crank damage?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    To the compressor- absolutely!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    where can i get these oil line filters? i know what they are but cant seem to find em .

11. Member
    8m0042285 MERC DEALERS need 2 of them
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    ok thanks

13. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................