Thread: a-rig

a-rig

Guys , what constitutes the make up of a good Alabama rig rod. Any line weight recommendations ? TIA , Mychael

2. Member
    I like a 7’ heavy matched with a 5:1 reel and 50# braid.

3. Member
    I throw an A rig quite a bit at Baccarac and ElSalto. I always just used whatever long heavy rod was available. Last June a buddy told me about Dobyns championship xp DC 807 Magnum Heavy Swimbait Rod. I bought one, and used it a lot on my trips this this winter for big swim baits and the Alabama rig. It was AWESOME, on the Arig! Great casting distance, excellent hook ups, and I didn’t snag up as much, because I could feel rig coming through tree limbs better. I use 50lb power pro super slick v2 line and a big spool 5:1 reel. I really like the hog farmer ARigs

4. Member
    Braid is nice for not losing as many rigs as can pull harder when hung up.
    Personally throw it mostly in the winter and if it's cold braid will ice up the guides or get your hands wetter/colder.
    I like the gen 2 cumara A rig rod with a 6 or 7 speed reel OG ZILLIONS work well) so can both "compress/flare" the rig a little more with a half a handle turn and can get them to the boat quicker so not jumping...and usually fish it with live sonar so can control depth with sonar visibility.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.