2013 Lowe FM165 WT

HI All,

Was out on the water and think i took on a strong wave that pushed in a small section of the hull. this is above the water line slightly under the registration ##'s. Most people have told me to not worry at all as this is just something that happens. No cracks, no preformance issues, no water, just a slight dent/wave/impression. No damage to any welds. I've been told this is classic "oil canning". 20220517_153452.jpg20220517_153504.jpg

Any thoughts on if i drove it wrong in rough water or what. I'm new to tin boats, so maybe this is something that happens.
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 106sv
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 93sv

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Must have been one heck of a wave. Can you access the inside of the "dent" and push it back out? If it's not a regular occurrence I don't see what harm would come of it but when oil canning occurs on the bottom of a boat it eventually stresses the metal and a crack appears (been there, done that). That boat should move nicely with the 90 Optimax on it!

3. Member
    Yea, this is the first ive had it happen to me, i can not access it from the inside of the compartment, its lined. I'm not to worried about it, just want to make sure this is something more serious.
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax

4. Member
    Thinking I might have kissed the trailer when I was power loading (old glass boat owner). Boat run perfectly with this small impression so I'm not worried. Will not be loading that way again.
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax

5. Member
    Pull the dent out with your trusty toilet plunger !

6. Member
    You can contact those pointless dent removers that do cars. They might be able to pop it back out for you or at least make it less noticeable. Some of them are wizards.

7. Member
    Thanks for the comments, at some point i might try to pop it out, but right now it doesn't bother me and id rather not take a chance on hurting the paint.
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax

8. Member
    I have a couple small spots from the previous owner, and it doesn't hurt a thing. One plus of owning a tin boat. I will say the plunger trick as long as it is clean, and your surface is clean will not hurt your paint.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke