Thread: New boat

New boat

New Ranger with question
    I recently sold my 2018 Ranger z518c and purchased a new Ranger RT178. My fishing has changed and I didn't need a fiberglass boat. I had a 12 inch hds carbon at the console and a 7 inch Carbon at the bow. I told the dealer to install to hook7 reveal units. One is splitshot and not sure about the other. Anyway, will these inexpensive units work fine? I fish shallow and 70% of the time I fish in 1-10 feet of water. Should I go with the hooks or buy some used elite ti2 or something else. My plan is to upgrade one day but wanting to keep cost down right now. Thanks, in advance for your opinions.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

2. Member
    It all depends on what you are doing. Side imaging can be very helpful even shallow, but if you didn't use it before you should be alright.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

The Hook Series do not have Ethernet nor NMEA 2000 so you will not be able to share waypoints or map cards.
    Otherwise they should meet your expectations.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Customer Service email told me I needed to buy a NEW Splitshot transducer to get my Factory Refurbished Hook2 9 (purchased from Lowrance's website) to maybe work correctly (Hook2 was still under 1-year warranty).
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

5. Member
    I had two Hook-2 12's. The transducer is more of an issue on the Hook. You mentioned "1-10" feet. Be prepared to reset you Hook unit quite often if you go from "10" to getting your lure unhung in less than a foot....the transducer will not adjust, you'll have "---" for depth until you turn the unit off and on. I sold them and went to elite ti2 units. No ethernet, but they can save waypoints and share map cards through connecting the two virtual.