Ultrex Spot Lock issue

I posted last week about my Ultrex kicking itself off spot lock. (No obstructions under foot pedal and not rubbing factory recess tray). I was told to try indexing and i did. The foot pedal was definately NOT flat before i indexed. So i indexed it per the manual where foot pedal is now flat. Im still having same issue. If it makes a rotation as far it will go in either direction it will kick itself off spot lock. My pedal tension is not too tight as i know this can be an issue also. It has same tension it always has. Not sure if this is related but when i do get spot lock to stay on i noticed a bird chirping sound coming from the head. My pivot bushings are also shot, not sure why that would cause spotlock to disengage but just telling everything i can think of. Changing pivot bushings today. Any HELP would be great. Thank you
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

2. Member
    When you indexed were you able to turn slightly past 180* (from pointing straight ahead) both directions?

Does it only kick off spot lock when the head is turned 180* (pointing backwards)?
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    When you indexed were you able to turn slightly past 180* (from pointing straight ahead) both directions?

Does it only kick off spot lock when the head is turned 180* (pointing backwards)?
    Seems to kick off anytime it goes all the way either direction if the toe of the foot pedal goes all the way down it kicks off and if the heel goes all the way down it kicks off.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

4. Member
    Normally an index issue will only kick off turning one way, i.e. always when the heel going all the way down. Another stupid question - nothing under the pedal for it to hit a force limit?
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    How are the cables routed around the head? A buddies would also kick out of spot lock and I think it due to the cables going to the head we’re getting bound up.

6. Member
    Da is right kicking out of spot lock could be cause by several thing. The beeping is the key. You have something holding the unit from turning loosely. I would also update the GPS module to insure it is not a GPS issue. Use your phone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Normally an index issue will only kick off turning one way, i.e. always when the heel going all the way down. Another stupid question - nothing under the pedal for it to hit a force limit?
    No nothing under the pedal at all. It just started doing this all off a sudden one day and has done it ever since.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

8. Member
    Awhile back mine had a similar problem. It turned out to be that the servo motor in the steering module had come loose from its mounting. It is a bit of a task to open the housing up and inspect it for this condition but if you have any mechanical ability it can be done with simple tools. There are a few vids out there on the tube that you can get some info from to try it yourself. My advice would be that if you open it and find it is loose, buy a new steering module and replace it. They aren’t very costly and once they start to give problems the problems keep coming. You cannot buy replacement parts for the module. This is my experience and I have dealt with a number of them. Don’t ignore this issue as a steering module that draws more than 3 amps to operate ( caused by normal wear and tear) will burn your control board in the foot pedal and cost you much more to repair. Hope this helps ya out. Tight lines to ya

9. Member
    I may have gotten ahead of myself there dusty as there is one more thing that can cause this issue. That would be worn cables. You have already indexed the head to the pedal but did you look closely at the condition of the cable while you had the drum opened up? Look close for any fraying of the cable around where it is exposed. Then, turn the foot pedal upside down with the power disconnected and remove the cover. Look closely at the cable where it drags around the pulley for any fraying also. Should you see any signs of wear any where replace both cables with updated ones from Minn Kota. You haven’t mentioned it but your unit could still be in warranty and if it is mk will fix it for ya

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    I may have gotten ahead of myself there dusty as there is one more thing that can cause this issue. That would be worn cables. You have already indexed the head to the pedal but did you look closely at the condition of the cable while you had the drum opened up? Look close for any fraying of the cable around where it is exposed. Then, turn the foot pedal upside down with the power disconnected and remove the cover. Look closely at the cable where it drags around the pulley for any fraying also. Should you see any signs of wear any where replace both cables with updated ones from Minn Kota. You haven’t mentioned it but your unit could still be in warranty and if it is mk will fix it for ya
    Unfortunately it ran out of warranty in March. So im on my own. I will give what you suggested a try for sure. Thank you.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

My ultrex over the past years had that happen and it was the foot pedal sensor board

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright