Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Talk to me about composite decking

Wanting to put a little deck off the master bedroom, thinking I'll go composite

Can anyone help me out with some explanations of the differences in the grades of decking? Local lumber yard gave me a price of $40 a piece for 16 foot trex, or $70, or $115

I'm completely lost on what the differences are, and the potential benefits of each grade

You are smart to stay away from wood. I would also stay away from laminates (because they can delaminate) which I think Trex is. There are some lifetime solid composites that you never have to do anything but wash. There have been a few threads in the last month or two with a lot of products and opinions you can look back at.
    I built a deck on my pond and this is what I used (along with stainless fasteners).
    Go ahead, get it wet - Lumberock
    PLY - Plastic Lumber Yard
    Fortress Pilings | Composite Dock Piles

Build it right and it will last a hundred years!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Y...................................
    I built a deck on my pond and this is what I used (along with stainless fasteners).

No sense in building something that will last longer than you will. I will say, wood is expensive but composite decking is extremely expensive.

4. Member
    Azek/timbertech pvc decking is the superior product on the market with like a 50 yr warranty. There composite products are like a 20-30 yr warranty. All of the decking companies will send you samples for free I’d get some and compare the quality and see what fits your budget best.
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

5. Member
    Be aware that Trex is not the end all be all. I've had several,customers that tracked mud on it that wouldn't come off and stained it as well as spill coffee on it that was a lighter color and it wouldn't come clean. I'd start with asking how they handle that situation.

Also be aware some are thinner than others and the thin stuff in order to not feel like it's going to bounce around on you needs joist at 12" oc vs the thicker stuff will feel much more stable using joist at 16" oc.

6. Banned

7. Member
    Beware if it's in a sunny area. It does get extremely HOT on the feet. My son has built a few decks for people and has heard this comment a lot.

I will not build another wood deck. Composite all the way, powerwash it in the spring and it is good to go. I built a Timbertech deck at my old house, it was beautiful, current house has an evergrain deck, it's ok, but I feel like Timbertech was a far superior product. The Timbertech would get very hot though, I would have to go spray it down in the summer so my dogs could walk across it. I did see an advertisement the other day though that Timbertech said their product stays cooler than their competitors so maybe they fixed that issue. No splinters, no staining, just washing and you are good to go.

9. Member
    Concrete it if possible

Quote Originally Posted by plowjock View Post
    Beware if it's in a sunny area. It does get extremely HOT on the feet. My son has built a few decks for people and has heard this comment a lot.
    A buddy of mine said the same thing. He built a 2nd floor deck out of composite decking and said that he darn near melted his feet when he stepped on it. He had planned to have the top of his floating dock redone with composite but decided against it because it’s so hot.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    You are smart to stay away from wood. I would also stay away from laminates (because they can delaminate) which I think Trex is. There are some lifetime solid composites that you never have to do anything but wash. There have been a few threads in the last month or two with a lot of products and opinions you can look back at.

Thanks for the information. I am getting ready to replace the wook deck around my pool with composite. I was leaning hard for Timbertech, but the Lumberock looks awesome and slip resistant too.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

12. Member
    Hot hot hot!!!!! And this is up north.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post

Can anyone help me out with some explanations of the differences in the grades of decking? Local lumber yard gave me a price of $40 a piece for 16 foot trex, or $70, or $115

I'm completely lost on what the differences are, and the potential benefits of each grade
    TREX decking boards are "skinned" with a composite core. The more you pay, the greater the color palette.
    Trex_Decking_Colors-1.png

14. Banned
    i just did a 16x12 full composite deck this last year we did timbertechAZEK with aluminum rails best decision we have made on the house yet. we went with English walnut. i don't see any difference in heat between the old wood deck and this deck. all i did this spring was power wash and it looks brand new again. 100% would recommend.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose720 View Post
    Concrete it if possible
    110% agreed. I just ripped out my 24'x36' wooden deck due to rot (12 years.) It's being replaced with a same sized slab. Paint it every couple of years and call it a day. Oh, new wood deck was quoted at $17,000 (not composite), slab is $6,000.
    2020 G3 1810 Dual Console - Lowrance HDS-7 Live/HDS-12 Live/Active Target - Lowrance Ghost - Yamaha 90 - 8' Power Pole Blades (2) - BoatEFX steps

Florida Carry Region 3 Representative - oh, and KISS rules!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kissfan View Post
    110% agreed. I just ripped out my 24'x36' wooden deck due to rot (12 years.) It's being replaced with a same sized slab. Paint it every couple of years and call it a day. Oh, new wood deck was quoted at $17,000 (not composite), slab is $6,000.
    depends if he can do concrete my deck is 10 feet in the air would want to do concrete there lol. and my deck was quoted at wood was 19k full composite was 23k. well worth the upgrade.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdfisherman1995 View Post
    depends if he can do concrete my deck is 10 feet in the air would want to do concrete there lol. and my deck was quoted at wood was 19k full composite was 23k. well worth the upgrade.
    Yup...wood was like 5k cheaper than Trex for my deck when it was done last year...went with the trex

Also when its wet it can be a slippery
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

18. Member
    Proper airflow around wood deck boards and a cleaning once year wood will last a very long time also they sell different grades of pressure treatment .(above ground cheap homedepot or ingrown use has more chemical usually special order and they offer kiln dryed #1grade that won't shrink when installed but your gonna pay for it 😉

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post

When you make your trip to SML I can show you a composite deck by Wolff and an aluminum deck by NEXAN.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    I looked into doing composite to redo the deck part, the supporting structure is in good shape. 6K for Trex, to replace with lumber, 2K. I'll be doing lumber as we are not going to be in this house for more that probably 5 - 6 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast