Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for BFS Suggestions Expride/Zodias?

So I am wanting a specific type setup that I believe would qualify under “BFS” but the semantics don’t matter to me too much lol. And heck I might be looking for a unicorn.

Anyway I am wanting to get a casting setup that will handle 6-8lb line and set the hook on a light wire hook such as a vmc neko finesse hook that will be “Texposed” on ned worms and drop shot worms. And also possibly toss a finesse swimbait jig head 1/16-3/16 weights not including plastics. So it doesn’t have to be a noodle but I realize a typical medium action casting rod is gonna be too much.

Going with a daiwa 20 alphas air for the reel.

The rods I’ve looked at are the Expride 7’2” med/light and zodias 7’2” medium light and both are rated for 7lb and lowest weight is 3/16 on them. I will be throwing all baits with plastic trailers or swimbaits so all lures I’m throwing will be over the lower threshold for those weights.

anyone with any experience on those two blanks or am I looking for a unicorn lol. And yes I realize I can use a spinning rod but I prefer to throw straight flouro and a bait caster handles it so much better for me. Thanks for any input

2. Member
    I don't have a ton of experience with all of the various rods on the BFS market, but I can tell you that the rod I built this spring for BFS fishing is all I could dream of and more. I built it on a Bushido Warrior blank that is rated for 6-10 lb line and 1/8 to 3/8 ounce baits, they call it a medium light, extra fast. I wrapped titanium guides on it and made the handle with some cypress. I also put an Alphas reel on it, but the older SV 105 variety. I can pitch crappie baits down to 1/32 on it, can cast 1/16 ounce t-rigged ned baits a good 80 feet, and easily detect bites at that distance on 8lb braid with a 6lb leader. I was running a Hyabusa light wire EWG 1/0 hook on that combo and there was enough power to set the hook, but enough flex to really play the fish on light line. Biggest bass on the combo so far was a 5 pounder, and I also got a 5 pound dogfish on it as well.

I also have a Phenix Feather 7'-1" ML which is one of the BFS rods that is typically recommended for an ultralight t-rig setup. I like it, but the custom I built completely blows it out of the water in every aspect. Less than half the weight, better sensitivity, better flex profile for fighting fish on light line. It also cost me just a little less than what I paid for the Phenix too. I like it so much I want to buy another to build. I've had guys offer me good money for it after I handed it to them to cast a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    I don't have a ton of experience with all of the various rods on the BFS market, but I can tell you that the rod I built this spring for BFS fishing is all I could dream of and more. I built it on a Bushido Warrior blank that is rated for 6-10 lb line and 1/8 to 3/8 ounce baits, they call it a medium light, extra fast. I wrapped titanium guides on it and made the handle with some cypress. I also put an Alphas reel on it, but the older SV 105 variety. I can pitch crappie baits down to 1/32 on it, can cast 1/16 ounce t-rigged ned baits a good 80 feet, and easily detect bites at that distance on 8lb braid with a 6lb leader. I was running a Hyabusa light wire EWG 1/0 hook on that combo and there was enough power to set the hook, but enough flex to really play the fish on light line. Biggest bass on the combo so far was a 5 pounder, and I also got a 5 pound dogfish on it as well.

I also have a Phenix Feather 7'-1" ML which is one of the BFS rods that is typically recommended for an ultralight t-rig setup. I like it, but the custom I built completely blows it out of the water in every aspect. Less than half the weight, better sensitivity, better flex profile for fighting fish on light line. It also cost me just a little less than what I paid for the Phenix too. I like it so much I want to buy another to build. I've had guys offer me good money for it after I handed it to them to cast a few times.
    Do you think the Phenix 7’1” ML might suit my needs? I’m going to be using straight 6,7, or 8lb sniper fluorocarbon so I won’t have the added hooking power that I think braid sometimes affords. Also thank you very much for the reply and the info on BFS setups in this application. Much appreciated. I really kind of just want to eliminate leaders for my ned rigs etc (all tho occasionally I may spool 10lb braid) and have a way to handle straight flouro more efficiently.

4. Member
    I have a 610ML gen 1 Zodias BFS. It's great for 1/8 to 3/16 oz head and small plastic. A 1/20 ned head and trd? No way. A 1/10 oz head and trd? Ok but not great I prefer an L BFS for those baits. If it's a big trd and long shank 1/10 oz head then yes the Zodias ML does well. Honestly you'll probably need two rods. Pair the Alphas Air to a the L BFS and a normal SV or MGL spool reel to the ML rod.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    I have a 610ML gen 1 Zodias BFS. It's great for 1/8 to 3/16 oz head and small plastic. A 1/20 ned head and trd? No way. A 1/10 oz head and trd? Ok but not great I prefer an L BFS for those baits. If it's a big trd and long shank 1/10 oz head then yes the Zodias ML does well. Honestly you'll probably need two rods. Pair the Alphas Air to a the L BFS and a normal SV or MGL spool reel to the ML rod.
    I think (emphasis on think ) most of my lures, jig head and all will weigh more than 1/8oz. I don’t plan on throwing any small jigs like hair jigs where my casting weight would be 1/16 or anything. I think you are absolutely right with the little bitty ned heads tho. I don’t plan on throwing the 1/32 heads with this setup. I might go for another light setup later as well tho.

my only fear with the the “light” rods are that I won’t be able to punch a texposed neko hook past the barb if I choose straight flouro carbon. Is that a legitimate concern or am I overthinking it?

6. Member
    Really the JDM Shimano L BFS tapers or Majorcraft L BFS would fit the bill for most of what you want to throw until you start getting over 1/4 oz total weight.

Thank you for the insight LowRange. I may have to order a rod from Japan cause I can’t find any of the shimano rods in stock in the US

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    I think (emphasis on think ) most of my lures, jig head and all will weigh more than 1/8oz. I don’t plan on throwing any small jigs like hair jigs where my casting weight would be 1/16 or anything. I think you are absolutely right with the little bitty ned heads tho. I don’t plan on throwing the 1/32 heads with this setup. I might go for another light setup later as well tho.

my only fear with the the “light” rods are that I won’t be able to punch a texposed neko hook past the barb if I choose straight flouro carbon. Is that a legitimate concern or am I overthinking it?
    You will have plenty of hook setting power with even a "light" rod as long as it is an actual BFS rod and not a trout or panfish stick. This means it has to come from Japan and have BFS or BF on it. Anything else you see I would not trust. The Majorcraft L BFS rods are very well liked and shimano also offers BFS rods in that power. Do avoid anything with a solid carbon tip though. Those are all too soft for collapsing weed guards. I fish weedless neds with the double wire guards on my Majorcraft L BFS and it does great. I throw 1/16 -1/18 oz bitsy bugs on it too. BFS rods have serious power. They have to be actual BFS rods and not some light powered casting rod someone tells you is a "bfs rod" because they think that casting rods that cast light baits means its "BFS". Its actually a bass fishing specific taper for tossing small baits to highly pressured fish in Japan near or in cover so they are built to crush fiber weed guards, drive hooks home and move fish the way a non BFS light rod simply is not

That’s good to know. I will definitely keep that in mind. I certainly don’t want a wet noodle for a rod. What you are describing with your neds is something that will be needed for me. I need to be able to seat the hook and move them, not just cast light lures. Appreciate the insight. This bfs stuff is pretty new to me

10. Member
    I found the Zodias and Expride BFS rods way too powerful for BFS. I also found the Dobyns 700 and 740 way too light for bass fishing around any kind of cover (tip just folds around even the lightest grass). I then bought both a Phenix Feather 7’1” Light and Medium Light. I think the LIGHT is perfect for how I use BFS (1/16th oz hair jigs, 3/32 oz Neds). I throw it on a Daiwa AIR BFS and 7 lb Sniper. I use the Medium Light with an Alphas CT SV 70 and 10 lb test fluoro for 1/8-3/16 oz tunes and jigs.

11. Member
    I would definitely lean to a true light or ML JDM rod power. I've had quite a bit of exposure to both usdm and JDM offerings, probably 20 different bfs rods in all. As low range alluded to as long as it's a true BFS rod and not a trout rod you will be good. I've had the feather light powered 7'1" but for your weight range the ML would be just as good and give a but more versatility.

What length are you looking for? Many of the JDM rods are pretty short (6'10" and less) so if you're looking for a 7'ish rod phenix, edge and a few others may be the easiest to source.

Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    I would definitely lean to a true light or ML JDM rod power. I've had quite a bit of exposure to both usdm and JDM offerings, probably 20 different bfs rods in all. As low range alluded to as long as it's a true BFS rod and not a trout rod you will be good. I've had the feather light powered 7'1" but for your weight range the ML would be just as good and give a but more versatility.

What length are you looking for? Many of the JDM rods are pretty short (6'10" and less) so if you're looking for a 7'ish rod phenix, edge and a few others may be the easiest to source.
    I prefer 7’+ but if the action (hook setting power, castability, etc) are right then a 6’10” rod would be just fine for me. I did notice that the expride and zodias rods are rated for weights like 1/2 which sounds pretty daggone heavy for the applications I’m looking at for basically ned rigs where 1/8 lead would be the heaviest. Also little swimbaits with 1/8oz head being the biggest as well. Much like what FryDog mentioned at the beginning of his post.

FryDog, how do you like the phenix models as far as sensitivity. I guess I should’ve mentioned my price range as well

i don’t want to go over $350 for a rod and preferably less than $300. But I am certainly not against a rod that is in a lower price range if the performance is there

I love dobyns rods but the blanks for BFS sounded a little too light for my application of texposed ned rigs or wire guards. I won’t be around “thick” cover but I will be around the occasional buck brush and light grass that is just grown up off the bottom. Most of the habitat I’m around is rocky tho
    Last edited by Spot-a-saurus; 05-19-2022 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added some info

$350 gets an ALX Enox rod built, another option to consider

15. Member
    FryDog, how do you like the phenix models as far as sensitivity. I guess I should’ve mentioned my price range as well

i don’t want to go over $350 for a rod and preferably less than $300. But I am certainly not against a rod that is in a lower price range if the performance is there

I love dobyns rods but the blanks for BFS sounded a little too light for my application of texposed ned rigs or wire guards. I won’t be around “thick” cover but I will be around the occasional buck brush and light grass that is just grown up off the bottom. Most of the habitat I’m around is rocky tho
    I honestly think the Phenix Feathers are very sensitive rods and fish above their price range. I also have more expensive rods including an NRX 852c. It’s not in that class, but probably 90% as sensitive for 1/3 the price. They are so light and sensitive I was worried about breakage at the $150 price point, but I’m 3 seasons with them and they’ve been just fine.

16. Member
    I prefer 7’+ but if the action (hook setting power, castability, etc) are right then a 6’10” rod would be just fine for me. I did notice that the expride and zodias rods are rated for weights like 1/2 which sounds pretty daggone heavy for the applications I'm looking at for basically ned rigs where 1/8 lead would be the heaviest. Also little swimbaits with 1/8oz head being the biggest as well. Much like what FryDog mentioned at the beginning of his post.
    I've been on a made in USA kick lately so all of my rods are now edge rods. The first strike 6'10" 6101 dropshot light powered casting rod would be just about perfect for what you are after as well as the 7'1" 711 black widow drop shot casting rod. The IM first strike blank had a touch more power and the HM black widow blank is a bit softer but super sensitive. The first strike is on sale for $220 and the black widow is at the top end at $341 currently. I also have the x-ray blank silver widow 721 dropshot blank but that's MUCH softer than either the first strike or black widow and is a borderline trout rod so I can't recommend that one for what you're looking for.

The feather series is a very nice light series, my only complaint would be the grip didn't fit me all that well so I sent it on its way but other than the personal preference it was a great rod.

I am also using the alphas air tw using between 4-6lb line and its a blast to fish.

I am going to look into the edge series rods and also the ALX Enox suggested as well. Right now I’m leaning to the phenix feather rods all things considered. I am not buying immediately (will be in the next two weeks hopefully) so I also welcome all discussion further on this topic and a big thank you to everyone here for the great info and helping me navigate the BFS/finesse casting rod world. I’m excited about having a setup for my neds and little swimbaits that is casting.

And ss30378, I’m super excited to get the Alpha in and run some 6 and 7lb line on it. I’ve always loved fishing light line and BFS is just another fun avenue to do so.

18. Member
    Higher than your stated price range, but the Phenix K2 Torzite would give you NRX sensitivity in the true BFS category. It covers a wider weight range 1/16-5/8 oz.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    Higher than your stated price range, but the Phenix K2 Torzite would give you NRX sensitivity in the true BFS category. It covers a wider weight range 1/16-5/8 oz.
    There isn't a rod on earth that can actually cast that range well. Either that's 1/16 oz head on a hook with a bait that weighs over double 1/16 oz and it can handle 5/8 oz or it can cast 1/16 oz but max out a little over 1/4 oz. Not picking on Phenix. Majorcraft also rates the low end of their rods optimistically. My Volkey 68L (1/16 to 1/4 rated) is not throwing a 1/32 oz crappie jig with 1.5 to 2 inch plastic (1/16 oz weight). 1/16 oz jighead and 2 to 3 inch plastic with a total weight of 1/8 to 3/16 oz? Absolutely.

20. Member
    But yeah the Phenix L and ML rods are excellent alternatives to JDM rods and I have heard from a few sources that they are versatile too with a slighly slower taper than a JDM BFS rod. They look like BFS rods too with the large diameter blank on the back half of the rod. A BFS rod vs a trout or panfsh rod is going to shut off near the striper guide and give you rigid lever to move fish. Something a buggy whip trout rod will not. You have to watch out because people will call those BFS even if they are not. Look how big the blank in on this Light powered BFS rod. Only the middle and tip of the rod is Light powered. The rest of it is built like a M rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast