Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TW Pro Circuit Format

May have been discussed and I missed it, but I don't follow the circuit closely.....

Why in the heck do they take a 3 day cumulative weight, and the final day weights are zero's?

What I can tell is the guy who got second lost by about 2 pounds, but had a 4 pound lead over the winner after day 3. I'd have to imagine that will ruffle some feathers
    Fish have fins, they swim

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    May have been discussed and I missed it, but I don't follow the circuit closely.....

Why in the heck do they take a 3 day cumulative weight, and the final day weights are zero's?

What I can tell is the guy who got second lost by about 2 pounds, but had a 4 pound lead over the winner after day 3. I'd have to imagine that will ruffle some feathers

I read elsewhere that the winner still would have won even with a cumulative format.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I follow this circuit closely as I have a friend who fishes it. I thought the zeroing of weights was a gimmick but I've come to admit that it adds some serious strategic thinking to managing your fish over the first three days and of course it makes for a potentially more exciting final day - kind of goes with the "made for TV" approach of MLF. It made a big difference in the first several tournaments of the season.

4. Member
    It’s all for drama.

Nick Hatfield total weight = 83-04

Nick Lebrun total weight = 81-08

Hatfield missed out on $70,000 even though he had the most weight for the tournament.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Randy Blaukat still insists he won the M1 tournament on the Mobile Delta because he had the most weight over 4 days even though Dudley beat him on the final day when weights were zeroed. Guess he didn't read the rules carefully enough.
    General Manager

PTG Outdoors
    5401 McFarland Blvd.
    Northport, AL 35476
    205-333-1605

6. Member
    It's part of the game. No one makes you play.

I like it that the 2 big pro tourney events have different formats. In either event, the winner walks away with a $100K check.

I believe Brad Hallman explained it as, " Some media guy who has no idea about bass fishing thought this would make drama for tv"
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

9. Member
    I am not a fan ot it. Guy kicks butt for 3 days and then loses basically a one day tournament. yeh I get all the it makes for drama, but to be in the lead for 3 days and lose because the weights zero on the last day? the other guys didn't have the best day for 3 days straight yet they can a an opportunity to win in one day. the guy leading all 3 days had less than his best day and loses because of that one day. doesn't seem right to me. But it is the way it is.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

10. Member
    I hate it. Just like fishing a 5 bass format all year then the Championship is every fish counts.

I don’t care for it because it doesn’t reward the most consistent angler and that in my mind is the whole point of a multi day tournament when everyone fishes the same days/conditions. But tbh these guys signed up for this series so
    If everyone fishes on the same days, I never like the weights to be “zeroed”

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    It’s all for drama.

Nick Hatfield total weight = 83-04

Nick Lebrun total weight = 81-08

Hatfield missed out on $70,000 even though he had the most weight for the tournament.
    That is the way I saw it as well.

I get doing it for drama and to "be different" but not sure I like the idea of a 1 day shootout for 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    That is the way I saw it as well.

I get doing it for drama and to "be different" but not sure I like the idea of a 1 day shootout for 100k.
    The weights can vary pretty drastically between 1st and 10th. Just doesn’t make sense to give the 10th place guy an even playing field when he didn’t earn it. Just my .02
    When drama is artificially created it’s usually not as dramatic lol

but I agree PJ

14. Member
    When the FLW Tour started you fished 2 days made a cut, zeroed the weights, fished a 3rd day cut to top 5, zeroed the weights.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    When the FLW Tour started you fished 2 days made a cut, zeroed the weights, fished a 3rd day cut to top 5, zeroed the weights.
    Then they got smart and did away with that idiotic idea, but here were are regressing.

Other pro sports with a playoff aren't much better. 1st place team kills it all year, but once you hit the playoffs records get tossed and anyone making the cut can win a coin flip.

17. Member
    No doubt it's about TV. But you can't guarantee the winner wouldn't have still won with cumulative weight format. He may have let off the gas on day 3 if he was confident he had the cut made.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    No doubt it's about TV. But you can't guarantee the winner wouldn't have still won with cumulative weight format. He may have let off the gas on day 3 if he was confident he had the cut made.
    Same could be said about day 3 on the elite series tho.....

19. Banned
    Who among us love the qualifying format for Daytona 500 bit hate this format for a fishing tour.......

20. dartag1829
    As said one day shootout is good for TV. I remember Tharp had such a lead he didn't need to weigh a fish the final day to win.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast