Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    Anyone else already noticing fewer boats on the lake this year?

Fished Saturday evening and Monday evening and felt like I had the lake to myself. I fish a small 1200 acre lake that has been pounded hard the last two years. Only saw 7 other trucks at the ramp Saturday. Monday evening only saw 3 other boats on the whole lake on a day with perfect weather and the fish biting. There are also typically at least one to two groups of people fishing around the boat ramp that I used Monday but there were none.
    Come over to carr creek you will change your mind.

2. Member
    Hasn't changed around here yet
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

Quote Originally Posted by scott c View Post
    Come over to carr creek you will change your mind.
    I never have had a good day on that lake so I quit trying several years ago.

But by all means keep em up there if ya want.

Weekends have been busier than normal here in upstate New York, but we’ve had a lot of nice weather the past few weeks as well.

Memorial Day hasn't started yet, give it a month and let's see what happens.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    5/07/22 118 BOATS for BFL Northeast Division on the Potomac River, Usually very close to being 200 boat field.

It's happening right now, plenty of people trimming the fat.
    wait until they have the New York BFLs.. They really only ever draw about 100-130. Max.

Id expect around 90 or so. I will be surprised if they bring any more than that.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    It doesn’t seem like there are any less wake boats and ocean liners here but I have been checking the ramp parking by my house every weekend and it is still busy but I don’t see as many fishing boat trailers as before gasoline jumped. Must be a lot of people with huge amounts of money to spend or their parents do because there are big pleasure craft everywhere. People in my living range of income have to conserve somewhere. So I suspect it has dwindled just a little.

8. Member
    I have been a little sick over just a week. So today I felt better and my test results improved so when my wife got home from work we took a drive. I was stunned for a warm day. It was like cricket's. Three large launch ramps and parking. Launch 1 had 0 trailers. Launch 2 had 0 trailers. Launch 3 had exactly 3 trailers. I saw zero boats on the water. This is no way normal evening. Even during COVID we had boats on the lake.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I will be back to Smith Mtn. Lake for this weekend and hopefully through Memorial Day weekend. Maybe boat traffic will at least slow down to where you can fish alone - on a weekday night from midnight until 4 am.

10. Member
    Bass boats down but saw two wake boats on Shasta Monday. $6.00/gal may have something to do with it.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

Old Hickory hadn't changed last Sunday.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

12. Member
    It’s a boat parade everywhere we go - fishing population has tripled in past 5-10 years -def lack of courtesy on water as well - this year alone people blatantly cutting people off - the 100 yard rule is now maybe 40 yards these days ( I still always give guys 100 +yards) when coming in on a spot - but newer gen of new bass guys will absolutely throw a hissy fit on that -they assume they own a 500 yard section of the shoreline - grow the sport -for what ?!? It’s a sh*t show now-no offense but need to slow the growth down -enough is enough:(

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I won't be on the water till probably September. Alot of us are waiting on parts, and myself is waiting on a boat. And then the wait for a motor starts
    Thanos was the hero

14. dartag1829
    Live on a big lake in SE Michigan. We have only had a couple warm days. But on those days it is busy. Does not seem to be slowing anyone down. I know Lake St Clair has been packed with boats smllmouth and walleye fishing. Many boats from out of state.

Lakes are full, same as always.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I won't be on the water till probably September. Alot of us are waiting on parts, and myself is waiting on a boat. And then the wait for a motor starts
    I have a canoe in VA for back up, just in case. Plus a canoe and a small tin boat in Ontario, again in case the "big" boat goes down for repair. I'd go nuts being without a means to get on the water. In both places I only need to go a couple of hundred yards to have decent water to fish although on SML there is a definite possibility of getting run over multiple times and turned into turtle food.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    grow the sport -for what ?!? It’s a sh*t show now-no offense but need to slow the growth down -enough is enough:(
    The ones preaching grow the sport aren't trying to grow the water and they don't care anyways. When's the last time a new large reservoir was built?

I think it is too early in the boating season this year to know for sure at least locally.

This spring it has been cold, rainy, and windy which has certainly reduced participation. However, we did have a very nice last weekend and there were a good amount of boaters out but busy isn't what I would say it was.

There are a lot of docks yet on shore waiting to be put in yet, but I am sure that will change as we get closer to Memorial Day weekend as that is usually when the activity really starts picking up here.

One thing I haven't noticed nearly as much is the amount of Illinois tow vehicles on the highway and the parking lots. I would imagine gas is near or above $5/gallon there in some places so that doesn't help at all.

Personally, I think this fall we will see a lot more volume of used boats than in the prior 3 to 4 years. I think this might help re-fill dealer inventory, lower used costs, and eventually lead to better availability of components including repower outboards.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    wait until they have the New York BFLs.. They really only ever draw about 100-130. Max.

Id expect around 90 or so. I will be surprised if they bring any more than that.
    No doubt! Been doing them since 1996

20. Member
    It will slow down next month when people get their fuel credit card statements from this month!
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast