Walmart and Home Depot earnings…

So WMT got hit due to inflation pressures and HD popped due to better than expected. I picked up some WMT and will add more if it goes lower. History shows they do well during crappy times due to their pricing power. Bonus is they pay a decent dividend. Be interesting if Lowes reports good numbers tomorrow.

2. Member
    I saw that. HD supplies alot to builders so I think the pressure on HD could come later since builders still need to complete homes in progress. Same with ongoing renovations. I think Walmart may be a precursor for what we could see in HD later on. If inflation keeps rising I dont think many areas go unscathed. Long term I like HD but i think we could still see lower levels unless something changes. The Lowes earnings may be a better indication since they sell more to retail customers as opposed to builders.

3. Member
    I was just seriously debating buying some WMT. I mean the selloff looks overdone, but I feel like we're due for a red day tomorrow and I still feel like it's a little overvalued with everything else. Of the options, I think it is a good buy, but I just still can't make myself buy anything right now

4. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    I was just seriously debating buying some WMT. I mean the selloff looks overdone, but I feel like we're due for a red day tomorrow and I still feel like it's a little overvalued with everything else. Of the options, I think it is a good buy, but I just still can't make myself buy anything right now
    Think you're right. SPY rejected right at 408.57 today.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    We are due for a down day after that last few days…maybe more sales.

6. Member
    Head into HD or Lowe's and you'll quickly see why profits are high.
    Less help, higher prices ... and not by a little bit on either account.
    Price increases at both have FAR outpaced inflation here in Florida.
    One stick of 4" PVC was $24, nearly hit the floor with heart flutter.

7. Member
    Looks like it is not just Walmart. Target is having the same issues.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Looks like it is not just Walmart. Target is having the same issues.
    No kidding…Target is getting murdered. It’s taking all retail down too. Look at DG.

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    AMZN was the first warning. Then WMT and now TGT. You can't fight their warnings. And we haven't even started QT, or hit peak driving season.

We actually increased the wife's retirement contributions this morning. Plant seeds now for the future.
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    Got a little impatient and sold a put on HD at 230 just now. That gets it over 3% for a dividend. I wasn't sure we would see it at 200 but if it gets to 200 I will buy some more.

11. Member
    They had Jeremy Grantham on CNBC so you know its about to get real

12. Member
    Total bloodbath today especially in retail. I backed up the truck on PXD though.

13. Member
    Target selloff looks overdone similar to walmart, red day today as expected, I would expect there to at least be a breather from here as long as people don't panic after today's action, but, these are the flash sales I was talking about a few weeks ago. Each little sector or stock is just getting absolutely smashed randomly. We had tech, specifically streaming here while back. Oil had a small one. TSLA too. Any thoughts on that idea? Are we just going to go through random sector selloffs until the whole market drops back down or are we going to have a big selloff similar to beginning of covid for inflation worries this time? We kind of already have to a degree, but it could get worse for sure and I honestly expect it to still at some point

14. idbefishing
    I don’t think any sector is immune to the sell off until we’ve come to a stable base, wherever that is. Even strong names like NVDA AMD COST have dropped A LOT. In previous deep red days, either WMT or COST stayed green but not this time.