How to fix boat sway when towing?

Hey guys, just bought a new (to me) 2003 Ranger 520vx with a tandem trailer. Granted I am pulling this thing with a 2020 Ford Explorer, but I’m having issues with the boat swaying behind me on the highway to the point it gets pretty worrisome. 65 mph is the max I’m willing to go with it before I really start to feel it sway and I slow down. There was one time I thought it was going to spin out my back tires. I talked to the Ranger rep and he said the top of the trailer tongue should be 20-22” off the ground. I’m currently at 18.5” so maybe that’s the issue? Has anyone had experience with this or know how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Raise the ball height. On a tandem, This will give you morre tongue weight. This is your problem. I'd shoot for 22in.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Correct the tongue height then report back.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    ^^^^
    These. Sounds like you don't have enough tongue weight.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

5. Member
    Ball too high you wag the tail...ball too low you wag the dog. I wouldn't pay as much attention to the measurement as I would the entire frame of the trailer level from front to back. The measurement dimension will vary by what you have in the boat (gear) and how much fuel you have. The springs will squat over time as well. With the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle on flat ground, step back and see how level it is or isn't and make correction. If you still have the problem then I would get a scale under the front wheel and check to see if you have near 10% of the weight on the tongue when the trailer is level. If it is off drastically, then you will have to move the boat forward or back on the trailer by adjusting the winch post position. Ranger is pretty good about balance and I would think this is unlikely if it is the OEM trailer for that hull.
    Good luck
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Have somebody tow it with a truck and see what it feels like. Passenger tires and soft suspension on the tow vehicle can cause unstable towing. Take a close look at the trailer suspension and axles to make sure everything is tight and square.

Your rig probably weighs close to 4,000lbs behind you which is a big chunk of the rated towing capacity of an Explorer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    you have to much weight on the rear end of the trailer, adjust your winch post to allow more weigh toward the front.

8. Member
    Possibly unloading the vehicle front axle too much with that wheelbase and tow capacity.

Get some real numbers to work with.

Go to a CAT scale and weigh with the front and rear vehicle axles on separate scales and the boat axles on the 3rd scale and then do a reweigh with the same vehicle axle(1st and 2nd scales) positions
    but without the boat.

Pay for the weigh and drop the boat and then reweigh and pay.

Reweigh only cost about$3 so your total(2 weighs) will be about $15-$17.

Good Luck

9. Member
    Trailer frame should be level when towing.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

10. Member
    Thanks to everyone for the responses on here. I just ordered a 2” rise hitch that I’m going to try out. I have it on a 3/4” rise now. I also adjusted the wench up one more slot forward (closest slot to the car). I’ve also checked out the frame and everything appears to be fairly level. Will report back.

The explanations given are very good but thought You would find this video interesting as well.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    I've been towing for over 50 years and still learned from the video. Thanks Bill.