Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

Question Hilton Head Island

Details:
    Day 1 - will arrive mid afternoon..
    Day 2 - Full Day
    Day 3 - Full Day

so an evening and 2 full days, what are the "do not miss" things that can be done?
    not big hikers and bikers but shorter excursions definitely work.
    we are mostly gawkers

Meals will be 3 dinners and 2 lunches, the lunches most likely will be on the fly but suggestions near the "do not miss" activities might work.
    Where to eat dinners? is the seafood there any good? are there "local" restaurants? if so would like 1 at least to be seafood.

Thanx for any suggestions..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

2. Banned
    The boat house for seafood...... also there’s a road named after me on the north side of the island lol

3. Member
    It has been a long time since I was there but got the best clam chowder and lobster I have ever eaten at the Harbortown restaurant that looks like a lighthouse.

The golf courses are great and so is charter boat fishing. I caught a 50+ lb. amberjack there.

Some enjoy horseback riding there.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Banned
    dial up the Fishing Coach Dan Utley go out catch some reds. Go to Sunrise Cafe under the bridge and eat breakfast. We like to go to lunch at Skull Creek near Boathouse for lunch. Play Harbor Town. Fish/canoe Palmetto Dunes.

A lot great golf courses and I suggest booking a fishing guide for a trip. Restraints are plentiful just make a reservation. The beaches are fair with plenty of shells to find.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

6. Member
    San Miguel’s is in Shelter Cove. Excellent Mexican

If you want upscale and actual fresh seafood go to Sea Grass Grill. Locally owned and excellent fresh food. Small menu each night. This is the restaurant that the locals eat at. Not a tourist trap.

Hudson’s is a classic Hilton Head seafood joint, Skull Creek is right beside Hudson’s. These two places are more your fish camp style restaurants. Bulk seafood cooked in the same oil that’s changed once a week.

I will also second Sunrise Cafe for breakfast. Never had a bad meal there.

Not sure if you are staying in a plantation, but go into sea pines plantation and head over to Harbor Town. Also stop by the stables and be sure to take some carrots and apples to feed the horses.

Excellent golf all over the island.

Hilton Head is not Myrtle Beach. No neon signs 40ft in the air. Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally love it.

We generally stay in Sea Pines, and avoid Coligny like the plague!

My fiancé is from Annapolis, and I will say definitively that Maryland seafood is far better than any Carolina, Georgia, or Florida seafood I’ve ever had.
    Last edited by D_Wade85; 05-16-2022 at 08:39 PM.

7. Member
    Burnt Church Distillery is a good spot to grab a few drinks.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil’erRed View Post
    The boat house for seafood...... also there’s a road named after me on the north side of the island lol
    Is it called "One Way"?

9. Member
    [QUOTE=bngolfen;12496809]dial up the Fishing Coach Dan Utley go out catch some reds. Go to Sunrise Cafe under the bridge and eat breakfast. We like to go to lunch at Skull Creek near Boathouse for lunch. Play Harbor Town. Fish/canoe Palmetto Dunes.[/QUOTE]

Get a canoe with a trolling motor--much more relaxing that way. If you go through the Fazio course, say "hi" to my FIL. He'll be the tall guy with a sheltie fishing golf balls out of the lagoon. And please tell him I don't need any more.

10. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    great info,, thanx guys.. i like the sounds of sea grass grill. we like the "locals" restaurants when we travel..
    is there a "specialty" food the area is known for?

unfortunately the folks we will be with aren't golf or fisherpeople..
    are there sights to see? short sight seeing type cruises? is there a marina where the charter boats are busy..
    for example, we like to go to the harbor in Destin around 3pm and watch the charters come in with their catches for the day.
    is there a pier? is the pickney island wildlife refuge worth a 1/2 a day?

another thought,, what is driving around the island like? what's the actual driving time from the bridge to say south beach?

thanx again for the info so far.

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

11. Member
    Harold's Diner you want regret it
    It's everything you learn after you know-it-all that really counts........

12. Member
    We took a cruise (charter) down the intercoastal waterway, got out on some of the tidal flats. The kids enjoyed the ride and scenery, wife had fun with the birds etc. I saw several boats that got stuck on a bar, or shore figuring they could push out but the tide left them stuck until the next high tide. I guess some boaters are not familiar with the tides or the extreme water fluctuations. The captain was very knowledgeable of the area and shared that information with us. Great afternoon.

13. Member
    My BIL and his family did a dolphin cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it. I wanna say they left from Harbour Town but I can't remember exactly.

Pinkney Island is not where I'd invest half a day. First of all, you said you aren't really hikers, right? That's ALL walking and there are only a few points of interest. Going at midday with the sun beating down on you turns it into a fricken death march. Do not recommend! Going early morning or in the evening might be an option though. The pond is the most interesting part (to me) and it's not too bad of a walk from the parking. Lots of birds, turtles and gators.

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    My BIL and his family did a dolphin cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it. I wanna say they left from Harbour Town but I can't remember exactly.

Pinkney Island is not where I'd invest half a day. First of all, you said you aren't really hikers, right? That's ALL walking and there are only a few points of interest. Going at midday with the sun beating down on you turns it into a fricken death march. Do not recommend! Going early morning or in the evening might be an option though. The pond is the most interesting part (to me) and it's not too bad of a walk from the parking. Lots of birds, turtles and gators.
    thanks for the pickney info!! we are not against walking at all if the terrain is decent.. the short evening pond stroll sounds interesting and worth considering..

15. Member
    Some other good restaurants have been mentioned already, but I'll add Kenny B's and the Smokehouse.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    thanks for the pickney info!! we are not against walking at all if the terrain is decent.. the short evening pond stroll sounds interesting and worth considering..
    Mostly gravel roads or smooth trails and it's all flat

17. Member
    Smoke house is an excellent choice. We spent half a rain day at the Smithsonian affiliate museum on the west side of the island. Full history of the island. I really enjoyed it. Going Back in October. Great place.

18. Member
    I would suggest that you drive over to Beaufort. About 30 minutes away. Much more historic with houses that were in movies such as The Prince of Tides and The Great Santini. You also have Hunting Island state park for a nice beach. Much less traffic compared to Hilton Head. As far as Seafood in Beaufort. Try Dockside or Fish Camp. Both are pretty good. Local favorite would be the Frogmore Stew also called Lowcountry boil. Potatoes, sausage, corn, with shrimp. Good eats. Local bar to try is called The Fillin Station. Looks like hell from the outside but good folks and great water view on the back deck.

19. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    thanx for the info so far,,,
    so we are adding a short day in Savannah, what's your 1 best thing to see and 1 lunch place

20. Member
    Savannah is a cool town, stay close to town though. Personally I'd much rather spend the day on Jekyll Island. Been a long time since I've been there so I can't remember names of places we ate. I'm sure some of the locals can point you in the right direction. Enjoy your trip!

I forgot you're not doing the golf thing, so maybe Jekyll island won't fit your criteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast