Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

99 Champion 187 Livewell pump issue

Hi, Can anyone tell me some information about the Livewell pumps on my boat? I know there is one attached to the bottom of the back of the transom. Its yellow. And there is one attached to the back of the livewell itself?

One pumps water in and then one oxygenates the water? Is this correct?

Anyway. They both have stopped working. I already replaced the bilge pumps and know what Im dealing with but do yall have recommendations or ideas on how to tackle this job?
    thanks brian
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The one that is through the step of the pad is the Aerate pump and fills the livewell. If you have one on the back of the livewells, it is the Hydro pump and recirculates water from near the bottom of the livewell through a Power Stream Aerator line in the livewell The yellow pumps are Mayfair and no longer available. However, if they have replaceable cartridges, you can get those. If they don't have the replaceable cartridges, you'll have to replace the entire pump. Mayfair was bought out by Johnson and has since been renamed SPX. Since you have Mayfair, I would swap all the cartridges or pumps out due to their age.

Aerator --> Cartridge Aerator Pumps (spxflow.com)
    Hydro --> Twin Port Aerator Pumps (spxflow.com)
    Replacement Cartridge --> Cartridge Pump Replacement Motors (spxflow.com)

Thanks TX Champ. I appreciate your help.
    " A Few Good Fish"

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

5. Member
    You the man Reggie !
    GETFISHED !!!

20220607_184959.jpg

20220607_185005.jpg

This is the pump attached at the transom. There is no way to even see the other pump because its buried under the gas tank?

I will have to replace this pump with one from the attachment you provided. Is it just a standard pump from that link? Thanks again for your help.
    " A Few Good Fish"

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    This is the pump attached at the transom. There is no way to even see the other pump because its buried under the gas tank?

I will have to replace this pump with one from the attachment you provided. Is it just a standard pump from that link? Thanks again for your help.
    Brian, those pumps have replaceable cartridges. Here's a link to the replacement cartridge on ebay --> JOHNSON PUMP MAYFAIR REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGE 28572 750 GPH BILGE PUMP AREATOR | eBay

The Hydro pump is on the back of the livewells. Should be a carpeted fiberglass cover over it. I don't know what tank setup you have, but here is a shot of the 93 201 I used to have. You can see the pump behind the battery on the right.

Backside 1.jpg

Thanks so much for helping me. I am not sure where the other pump is. I guess I need to get a mirror or something to look under the fuel tank. Maybe it is in a different place other than where I am looking. (the hydro pump). I cant imagine them putting it where I think it might be. One thing to note. The pumps were making a squealing noise and now they wont even turn on. So I think they may be goners. LOL. I see that you can replace the cartridge via that black piece that has the "thumb" pieces that you can twist. I will have to get dirty and seriously look into this more this weekend. Thanks so much for your help. I REAALLY appreciate it. I will search around for a carpeted cover that may be removable to see if I can find that hydro pump. That would make me a lot happier. Thanks again B
    " A Few Good Fish"

20220609_081723.jpg This panel goes across the back of the livewells. I dont know how far down it goes or if it is just a small skinny panel. It has screws in either corner at the top (Right and Left) but I cannot see the bottom of the panel to know if there are other screws holding it in place. I will try to remove it when I have more time. Thanks again Brian
    " A Few Good Fish"

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    This panel goes across the back of the livewells. I dont know how far down it goes or if it is just a small skinny panel. It has screws in either corner at the top (Right and Left) but I cannot see the bottom of the panel to know if there are other screws holding it in place. I will try to remove it when I have more time. Thanks again Brian
    Remove those two screws. There are probably a couple of metal tabs that hold the bottom in, so it should slide straight up. The Hydro pump is behind there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Remove those two screws. There are probably a couple of metal tabs that hold the bottom in, so it should slide straight up. The Hydro pump is behind there.
    AWESOME.......I will check it out.......thanks again B
    " A Few Good Fish"

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    AWESOME.......I will check it out.......thanks again B
    Sit Rep?

13. Member
    I believe Reggie has you on the right path. One thing that might make it easier is to remove the back deck lid if you haven't already.
    GETFISHED !!!

I was going to go out there today and work on the boat ......but my dadgum real estate got in the way. Hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again.

Sit Rep??? I dont know what that means??
    " A Few Good Fish"

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sit Rep??? I dont know what that means??
    Situation Report

Update. I went neck deep in it today. I removed the screws out of that panel. That panel is not budging. I pried it out and tried to pull it up. It's not moving. It's tightly wedged between the front of the fuel tank and the piece it's attached to. I didn't want to break anything. I don't know what to do. I attempted to remove the plastic screen from the back of the Transom an it just crumbles.i did get it removed and not sure which way that nut turns to loosen the thru hull fitting. I think this is above my level of experience. I am all about tackling problems but I don't know about this one.
    " A Few Good Fish"

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    There must be more screws. The tank in my 201 wasn't up against the panel like yours, so I'm no help there. The nut behind the screen and the sealant are what is holding in the Aerate pump. Once you get the nut off, you'll have to twist the old pump from the inside to break it loose. Use 3M 4200 or Marine Goo to seal the threaded portion going through the pad, the inside flange and the outside screen base. But if the pump housing is not cracked, you just need to replace the cartridge. The pump doesn't have to come out for that. There's a small latch that you pull back and twist the cartridge to get it out.

Turns out Amazon has the best price on the screen --> Amazon.com: Johnson Pump 77125 Mayfair Aerating System Intake Filter : Automotive

I am determined to get this fixed myself. I have a tournament this coming saturday. Its a catch and measure realease type tx so no need for livewell. But after that I will dive back in and see if I can tear something up. Its what you get when you own an older boat. Thanks for all the help. I will get back to it.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Side Note.....do you have a link for the gas strut replacement? or your recommended brand length. I just bought one but it is like almost too long but not quite. Lid closes but its close. Its a 20" length. Thanks B
    " A Few Good Fish"

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Attwood makes them. Most of the 90s Champs used a SL36-20-5 on all lids. 17.2" extended & 10.2" compressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast