Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sorting out Carbon Installs... finally pulled the units

So, finally decided to pull the Carbon 12/9 and try to figure out what is what... you might recall from my previous post this new to me Skeeter I was trying to sort out the current installation/ducers/etc. Also confirming I had enough slack to move from flush mount to gimbal mount, so it was a good excuse to turn some screws...

So for the Carbon 9, it appears there is only the Active Target Transducer connected on port 4, nothing on port 5. The Fortrex has one of those universal transducers, but it's not connected I reckon. Power of course on port 3 and ethernet on port 2 (back to console unit I assume). Nothing on port 1/NEMA.

Now, for the Carbon 12, it gets bit more interesting...

At the console, in port 5 we have 00-8834-00 - StructureScan HD Skimmer Transducer - Which is LSS-2, correct?

Port 4 has cable but no tag, I assume this is through hull transducer PD-WBL listed in settings.

port 3 power, port 2 15ft ethernet, again assuming heading forward to the bow carbon 9.

There there is the NEMA port. Hello Mr. Cable... Definitely got a T-Connector and Terminator down there, and a yellow wire coming out of the NEMA backbone it appears. No idea here, is this something for Active Target? I need to investigate this further. Also not much slack here, so need to be sure I can free some of it up to move from flush mount to BBT mount.

Anyway, clears some things up for me, but creates some confusion as well as I wasn't aware of the NEMA connections. would be nice if that is what it is as I want to add engine harness for the SHO 225...
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-16-2022 at 05:17 PM.

2. Member
    If you have Active Target installed the transducer cable connects to the black box/module and from there to a graph via ethernet - not to a graph port itself.

The top image (Carbon 9 I believe) has 2 ethernet cables (yellow connectors) a power (red connection) and a transducer in the sonar port (blue connection) i would assume that sonar connection is possibly the universal in the Fortrex.

Also, if you have Active Target, this would explain the second ethernet cable connected to the Carbon 9.

I believe you are correct regarding the connections and what they are in the Carbon 12.

3. Member
    There is a NMEA 2k connected to the 12. Is there anything else connected to the T? NMEA requires power so if the T doesn't have any additional Ts or cables then it is not connected to anything and not functional.

Is there a Point-1 on the boat?
    Is the motor data available on the Carbon 12?
    Last edited by zero_cool; 05-16-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    If you have Active Target installed the transducer cable connects to the black box/module and from there to a graph via ethernet - not to a graph port itself.

The top image (Carbon 9 I believe) has 2 ethernet cables (yellow connectors) a power (red connection) and a transducer in the sonar port (blue connection) i would assume that sonar connection is possibly the universal in the Fortrex.

Also, if you have Active Target, this would explain the second ethernet cable connected to the Carbon 9.

I believe you are correct regarding the connections and what they are in the Carbon 12.
    Yes, top image is the Carbon 9. OK, do have Active Target, so good to know the details on how the ducer is connected. Which ok sure, that means you are probably right, the ducer cable connected to the 9 in port 4 must be the Fortrex universal, as the cable goes into the Troll Jacket up to the Fortrex - excellent. I will play around with the Source/Setup on the 9 next time I pull the cover - I had been concentrating on learning Active Target so hadn't looked at much else.

From the other threads in the Skeeter Forum the opus for this was that I wanted get a larger screen for the AT, but want to get the 2nd PP first. So as an interim step I ordered a BBT Dual Stack Bow mount - I'll run the 9 on the top bracket for now so I can see it better, and be able to adjust for sun, etc. And when I pick up a 12 (or move the 12 from the console) to the bow I will have the mount ready to go. This was another reason I pulled the C9 b/c I wanted to check cable slack, etc
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-16-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    There is a NMEA 2k connected to the 12. Is there anything else connected to the T? NMEA requires power so if the T doesn't have any additional Ts or cables then it is not connected to anything and not functional.

Is there a Point-1 on the boat?
    Is the motor data available on the Carbon 12?
    I will have to dig into this one a bit more... I'll pull the unit again next time the cover is off, probably one afternoon this week lol. But it appears that yellow cable bundled up is going into a t fitting, but not sure about power, I couldn't see down that far. I'll get some better info and report back.

Don't have a Point-1, but do want to add one. As far as Engine Data, I was missing Engine Data when I initially looked, but it was when I was test driving the boat before buying so maybe I didn't look in correct spot or know what to look for. IIRC I could see speed and course stuff, but not engine specific stuff (on gauges sceen). There were a few other things that were either blank or missing on the gauges panel, or displaying a number that never changed, ie Trim at 124%. But I do have coolant/engine temp, I found that this weekend - so I will look again. Anything specific overlay or gauge I should look for that would be a red flag of having/not having engine data? I guess I could pull the cowl and see if the engine harness is installed as well?

Here's another look at the NEMA Backbone... just can't see what's after the T with the yellow cable from these pics - ie is it another T or an terminator. Will have to crawl up under there and sort it out I guess. Still not sure what the yellow cable is, don't see any yellow cables on Lowrance website...

Last edited by 78Staff; 05-20-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Well the only yellow NEMA cable I can find on the ol interwebs is a Garmin NEMA Power Cable... I suppose for power the cable is somewhat generic, ie not actually Garmin specific, so it's plausible the previous owner or shop used it for power instead of a Lowrance cable? This week I'll get under there and try to decipher what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I guess I could pull the cowl and see if the engine harness is installed as well?
    So curiosity got the better of me... here's the 225 NEMA connector, appears to have the interface cable already installed if I am looking at the right connector?

Reading the KNOW NEMA thread it states that Trim will read 124% no matter what unless something is installed/turned on by a Yamaha Dealer, so that must be why I was seeing that as I mentioned in above post. Will have to check gauges panel next time I'm and find out what I can see/not see. Would really like to keep track of engine hours. Would also like to add a Point-1 as well as already mentioned.

9. Member
    As far as the trim reading goes on my 2009 HPDI I have to disconnect the analog gauge and connect 2 pink wires in the bottom of the cowling to get NMEA to display the trim level. Not sure if this applies to your motor.

10. Member
    78Staff,following your thread with interest .

i have 2 carbons at Console.
    I also have a Yamaha SHO 250.

Have Nema2k connection going to a Gateway box to send data to Nema backbone ,then to Carbons.
    Do you have a Gateway Box? i didnt notice.

you mention engine data on Dials,i assume that is the built in Lowrance Info Dashboard page.
    I find setting up those gauges for the correct engine data very cumbersome, and confusing, perhaps some Lowrance Guru can post on a easy way to do it.
    The NEma output from SHO engine and then to Gateway box puts a YAMAHA page on my home screen, but i find the data there is very slim and hard to edit.
    Yamaha page shows a good RPM for engine, but oil, water,,etc are more like scales or idiot lights with no real number data shown.
    thats why i think the built in Lowrance Info panel is more accurate.
    hope some one can advise on best way to get Engine data, and some input on using Lowrance Info panel dashboard data versus the Yamaha Page data.
    john

Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    As far as the trim reading goes on my 2009 HPDI I have to disconnect the analog gauge and connect 2 pink wires in the bottom of the cowling to get NMEA to display the trim level. Not sure if this applies to your motor.
    I think it does, I read up on it you basically can have the analog gauge or digital via your console unit, but not both. I'll stick with analog for now i guess, although the pink wire deal seems simple enough.

EDIT - the more I think about this, the more I think I may switch to digital. The Trim gauge is not super convenient to see, and imo not super accurate. I've adjusted the sensor, sometimes it is correct, sometimes it's off by about 1/4 sweep ie in the down position. Since boat is new to me I was using the gauge as I learned the boat, but other than tucking for holeshot, I've been trying to go by feel/sound with the analog gauge as a confirmation. But having it right there on the Carbon (assuming it can be added as an overlay) is appealing.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-17-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    78Staff,following your thread with interest .

i have 2 carbons at Console.
    I also have a Yamaha SHO 250.

Have Nema2k connection going to a Gateway box to send data to Nema backbone ,then to Carbons.
    Do you have a Gateway Box? i didnt notice.

you mention engine data on Dials,i assume that is the built in Lowrance Info Dashboard page.
    I find setting up those gauges for the correct engine data very cumbersome, and confusing, perhaps some Lowrance Guru can post on a easy way to do it.
    The NEma output from SHO engine and then to Gateway box puts a YAMAHA page on my home screen, but i find the data there is very slim and hard to edit.
    Yamaha page shows a good RPM for engine, but oil, water,,etc are more like scales or idiot lights with no real number data shown.
    thats why i think the built in Lowrance Info panel is more accurate.
    hope some one can advise on best way to get Engine data, and some input on using Lowrance Info panel dashboard data versus the Yamaha Page data.
    john

I don't recall this Yamaha page on my setup, so will check for it. It just showed up on your home screen when connected? I definitely do not have that, and also no Gateway box, at least I don't think so. What does it do?

Yes I was looking at built in Lowrance Dashboards, there's 6 or so IIRC. Some info was there, but some was not. I'll check again and report back some better info, going from memory from a couple weeks ago unfortunately. When I "thought" I didn't have it, I stopped looking at it :).

I ordered at Point-1, and also picked up a starter kit, which seemed the most economical way to get a 15ft and 2ft so I can also connect my bow unit, plus a few tees, terminators. Buying them individually was way more than just grabbing the starter kit. Also the Lowrance Power cable, which I could swap out for that Garmin one if needed.

14. Member
    Nema cables, tees, terminators etc are universal. Garmin, navico or other brands play fine together. Most garmin pieces are cheaper than others
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    78 staff, the Gateway box is i believe the interface to convert digital signals from yamaha nema cable to read as numbers on the lowrance. you will have a YAMAHA app on your home screen if it is being utilized. there are different versions of this Gateway box, older ones have led lights on them, newer model is just a black box about size of pack of cigarettes.
    here is a link for one, check around different prices for this.
    https://titanwatersports.com/6yg8a2d...8aAr_OEALw_wcB

Don't have gateway box, just the nema engine interface cable from the motor. Checked the settings today, do see a Yamaha entry in the devices list so looks like I am set there. I will confirm when I am back on the water and see what data it will provide. Haven't pulled the unit again to get a better look at the backbone but it seems likely I have connection to console Carbon 12 and Yamaha, but not the bow unit. Point 1 arrived, may try to get it hooked in later this week...

17. Member
    You're gonna like the Point-1

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Here's another look at the NEMA Backbone... just can't see what's after the T with the yellow cable from these pics - ie is it another T or an terminator. Will have to crawl up under there and sort it out I guess. Still not sure what the yellow cable is, don't see any yellow cables on Lowrance website...

OK was able to sort this out - Have 3 T's/connections for Power, the Carbon 12, and Yamaha as suspected. Pretty sure the yellow power cord is just a Garmin Power cord. Looks like a bit of mix/matched part on install, the drop for the Carbon is only 1ft long, not 2ft like the starter kit cable. So may have just been whatever the shop had laying around. Also the Yamaha cable barely makes it to the console, that's why the backbone was jammed back in there (which I don't get, as it's a 15ft cable so should be plenty long) - will chase it down, maybe it's zip tied down somewhere. I assume it is a direct run from the motor, as it connects to a T within the terminators (ie not a run off the end, suggesting a another T/terminator down the line.) So not much slack available there, at least not yet :)

Also due to that, the backbone has a pretty odd bend/curve in it as well, which you can pretty much see in the pics. Not sure if it's actually affecting anything, but I will be replacing most of it with newer parts - while I'm in there I figure might as well. And will be running extension up front for bow units. So will be adding additional T for Point 1 cable, and T for for extension to bow, as well as a T/drop/terminator at the bow.

Have Point 1 will install today or tomorrow, can't decide on back deck corner or back corner gunwale. Leaning toward the gunwale since the deck has support bracing around the perimeter so would need to drill though deck and support and leave enough slack for lid removal, etc). But compass test will decide for me I guess...

Ok Precision Sonar mount arrived today, so it was go time. Got the back end all cleaned up with Point 1 and Yamaha harness connected, then a run to the console for power and the Carbon 12, then a run to the bow for the Carbon 9. All devices showing up on network (other than the Yamaha since not running), everything looking good for NEMA. have parts ready for when I add 2nd unit to bow (which, I mocked up today to see how a 12/9 combo would work - pic below if anyone's interested.

But, then the 12 had to go back to the console. PS mount is installed, meant to take pics but it was getting dark and I wanted to get the boat cleaned up/covered up - I'll pots some pics tomorrow I suspect. PS mount install I was only able to get 5 screws in, there just wasn't enough glass to get a screw purchase on the upper right. I think previously some material might have been taken off when upgrading from the Gen3 to the Carbon. But 5 should be enough I think? If not I will pull it off and drill another hole on right side near the top of plate, where I still have some glass avail.

If I ever go duals at the console, I will have to pay attention to this - may need to introduce some other backing/support - not sure.

Bow mockup with Carbon 12 and 9". Alignments off a little, I just quickly threw them on to see how they would fit together. My plan would be to run AT on the 12' up top, and mapping on the 9". But got to get another 12 first :). Now that I got the 2nd PP installed, the search can really begin for a 2nd 12".

Also still can't make up my mind on foot switches , ie both left, or one left/one right side of TM pedal.

Last edited by 78Staff; 05-24-2022 at 02:18 PM.

20. Member
    Looks nice
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast