Dale Hollow Fishing

Headed to Dale Hollow next week for the first time, going to be staying near the Sunset Marina and resort. I know the lake is well known for it's Smallmouth but I hear that it also has a healthy Largemouth population as well which is more what I am interested in. Any tips on where to fish and what to use for Largemouth this time of year?.

2. Member
    The largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouth. Hard to believe but true. Big bags coming on that lake right now. Find the grass in the right depth range and you should find bass. Good luck.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

3. Member
    Total newbie here. We have been doing decently on Eagle Creek, which is very close to Sunset, using Zoom Super Flukes. There is a massive flat at the end of Eagle Creek. Good luck.

4. Member
    LM were on fire Sunday morning, we had 17 lbs in 20 minutes on topwater on a flat just down from Sunset marina.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, also do any of the boat ramps have a launch fee?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Thanks for the info, also do any of the boat ramps have a launch fee?
    All of them that I can think of
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

7. Member
    Star Point does not charge a launch fee.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasCobaltKen View Post
    Star Point does not charge a launch fee.
    That's where I stayed. First time but I will be back.

9. Member
    Do the ones that charge a fee have a drop box or do I need to get a pass from somewhere?

10. Member
    Well so far this lake has been terrible, only caught 3 largemouth over 15" and a couple undersized in the past 5 days, I thought the lakes close to me were bad but they are nothing like this. This is by far the worst lake I have ever fished so far which is a major disappointment since I have wanted to come here for years because I have always heard how good the fishing was. I have mainly stayed in the Wolf Creek area since that is what we are closest to but I went further down this morning. I have tried shallow and deep, fished grass flats and ledges, flipped the bushes in the backs of several creeks, tried top waters in the morning and evenings, tried swim baits, jerk baits, cranking, drop shot, shakey head, spinnerbaits, chatter baits, Texas rig, buzzbaits, and wackey rigged Senkos, literally done everything I know how to. Got 2 more days to make something happen. I find it amazing that I can fish an overcast day with the water temp in the 70s which Is what I would call ideal conditions and not catch anything all day.

11. Member
    Its called "Dale Humble" for a reason. Lots of areas look great to you above the water but below, it doesn't hold fish. Took me a long time to figure that out. When I was there 2 weekends ago I caught fish on basically everything you are throwing, minus the jerkbaits and chatterbaits. Fishing was not as good as it normally is this time of year, because the water was warmer than it should be from my past experiences. I felt like they were on the verge of going nocturnal until fall, since the bite was best from 5am til 6:30 and from 6:30 til dark. mid day was a struggle but it was hot and sunny. I would have loved an overcast day. Head to mid lake and fish the ledges around the flats.

12. Member
    If you like to night fish it's a very good lake but the day time fishing is hard to figure them out a lot of times.

13. Member
    the night bite can be insane there at times, may wanna try it

14. Moderator
    Fished there Friday myself and we struggled big time. No smallies and one decent 18” largemouth. Like you I tried top to bottom with no luck. All bites we had were early before the sun got up much but by 9:30 it was over.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Fished there Friday myself and we struggled big time. No smallies and one decent 18” largemouth. Like you I tried top to bottom with no luck. All bites we had were early before the sun got up much but by 9:30 it was over.
    Friday was my last day, caught a 14" Smallmouth (only one all week) a 18-19" 3.5 lb Largemouth and an 11" Largemouth way up the Wolf river.

16. Member
    Been up there the last two years in the spring with below average results. At least in my eyes.
    Paul was supposed to give up all his springtime hot spots but he kept them to himself. (lol)
    Absolutely beautiful lake though. Stayed in a fantastic cabin both times.
    Thinking about changing to a different Tn. lake next spring.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Well so far this lake has been terrible, only caught 3 largemouth over 15" and a couple undersized in the past 5 days, I thought the lakes close to me were bad but they are nothing like this. This is by far the worst lake I have ever fished so far which is a major disappointment since I have wanted to come here for years because I have always heard how good the fishing was. I have mainly stayed in the Wolf Creek area since that is what we are closest to but I went further down this morning. I have tried shallow and deep, fished grass flats and ledges, flipped the bushes in the backs of several creeks, tried top waters in the morning and evenings, tried swim baits, jerk baits, cranking, drop shot, shakey head, spinnerbaits, chatter baits, Texas rig, buzzbaits, and wackey rigged Senkos, literally done everything I know how to. Got 2 more days to make something happen. I find it amazing that I can fish an overcast day with the water temp in the 70s which Is what I would call ideal conditions and not catch anything all day.
    Social media has pretty much destroyed dale hollow!!! The pressure on it has got unreal in the last 3 years... Yougoobers and social media hero wannabes are a large part to blame imho. Also you have had a tenfold increase in the amount of guides on the lake with many of them using live bait and running multiple trips on some days.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

18. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Been up there the last two years in the spring with below average results. At least in my eyes.
    Paul was supposed to give up all his springtime hot spots but he kept them to himself. (lol)
    Absolutely beautiful lake though. Stayed in a fantastic cabin both times.
    Thinking about changing to a different Tn. lake next spring.
    I wish I could have helped you more. I am struggling myself lol. Going to switch to night trips if I go anymore until fall or just go hang out on the pontoon.