SSR hub Stuck...cant find previous threads on how to remove

Only thing i have not tried is placing prop in a Press to remove the SSR hub...
    Apparently my hammers are not big enough...

please advise how to remove the SSR out of my Fury so i can change props...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

2. Member
    I used a big socket and 5 pound hammer.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

anyone figured out a way to prevent these things from seizing together...only had prop on for 12 motor hours.
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Member
    They are really designed to fit that tight and a lot of guys will tell you they work best like a bearing and race. Once mated together best to just leave them together. If you want to try a bunch of props it’s probably better to use the old style hub and put the SSR in the prop you pick to keep.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

I use a length of threaded rod and a piece of 2x4 with a hole in it. Put the rod through the hub, but and washer or the socket as the washer, another washer and nut then just wind it out. 2 minute job at best
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

6. Member
    I used the the same threaded rod trick to remove a Solas hub (all rubber) from both a Solas and a Mercury prop. The first few turns required some effort but once it started moving the effort was significantly reduced.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    I use a length of threaded rod and a piece of 2x4 with a hole in it. Put the rod through the hub, but and washer or the socket as the washer, another washer and nut then just wind it out. 2 minute job at best
    Only problem I see here is that there have been some reports of hubs not being properly seated in a prop when installed. See the FAQ Section under SSR Hub Kits for more information on the correct (recently released) method to torque the prop after installing the SSR Hub Kit.

I would recommend using a press IF the hub has to be removed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Press if you have one.
    Threaded rod method if not. It's effectively a mechanical press instead of hydraulic. You can use it to remove it AND install it. Comes right out in a short time. Reinstall part way by hand and use the threads to pull it all the way back in. It's like it's been pressed in at that point.