USA Yamaha 200 Hp OX66- fuel starved -replaced everything July 2020.

I took out the Skeeter ZX 195 with Yamaha 200 hp OX66 for the first time running the outboard-And I’m having the same situation I had less than two years ago where the engine is starved for fuel - Back in July /August 2020 I was having these same related issues -my mechanic replaced :

The outboard has only been run about 10 times since July 2020 and I religiously put in starTron and ring free in each and every time gas goes in it -my mechanic Replaced three lower pressure fuel pumps / spark plugs fuel ball and fuel line-

Then on 9/8/20 -cleaned o2 sensor-vst filter -And cleaned out the VST. At that time we discovered there was a mechanical filter that looks like someone had oatmeal on it which ultimately turned out to be the problem….. The mechanic soaked that filter but did not replace it so here I am now less than two years later and the boat is doing the exact same thing- I won’t get stranded but I’ll be running at like 50 miles an hour and then the boat for a split second will slow down to 35 and then go back to the regular cruising speed so I’m almost positive it’s the same filter. What is the likelihood that those fuel pumps are bad less than two years later with only about eight hours of use on the outboard??? I’m hoping the mechanic is not gonna suggest we change out all the spark plugs the fuel ball and all that when it might just be that filter-thoughts?

2. Member
    Was the mechanical filter located inside the VST Tank (silver finish outside)? If that is the filter you are referring to, then I would suggest replacing the VST filter. There is also a small o-ring that sits between the inside top of the VST tank housing and where the vst filter slides up onto underside of top.

3. Member
    Checking my old notes - The culprit ended up being the filter underneath the electric fuel pump completely clogged he did not replace it and instead put the filter in a cleaner and serviced it. Since I had all those other items replaced and the boat has not gotten much use I’m gonna ask him to start right at that same spot that resolved it last time. Any idea of that is likely the VST filter he discovered to be the issue? I am waiting to hear back from him
    Last edited by creekchub; 05-16-2022 at 09:32 AM.

4. Member
    I would ask him what the fuel pressure was.