Trailer vibration

I had a vibration at 70 mph pulling boat the other day. I purchased a new truck and it sat higher so I leveled it and I still have it. It’s not the truck but my question is do you all balance trailer tires?

2. Member
    I do

Is it a single axle trailer? If so check for a weak spring on one side. Measure the height from the ground the transom of the boat on both sides (should be same within 1/4 inch). A weak spring will cause the tire on the affected side to wear on the outside.
    This is a long shot, but should not be overlooked.
    It is more likely that you have a tire problem. I would take it to a tire shop that can do a Road Force balance.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    In 50 years of boating, I never balanced trailer tires until an experience that I had four years ago. I sold my boat to somebody, and put on new tires that were balanced by the tire retailer. Before my buyer picked up the boat, I got to trailer it twice and noticed a huge difference towing at speed on the highway. Needless to say, on my next new rig I had the tires balanced, and, will do so with any future rigs.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    i always have trailer tires balanced
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    They come balanced, so I keep them balanced.

7. Member
    Yes to balancing them.
    On my last boat, I headed out one morning and felt a weird vibration. Just hadn’t felt it before. About 10 miles later I had tread separation. Did’t actually blow out, but wouldve destroyed the fiberglass fender if I kept going. Kenda tires.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

8. Member
    had a brand new trailer that had a resonance at 72 mph. would go. thru the truck - it wasn't terrible but very noticeable and the fenders shook on the trailer.

I carried the tires in to be balanced. they had balance beads in them. we went to weights and it pulls smooth. not gonna mention the boat brand.

9. Member
    Ok thanks all

10. Member
    Yes

11. Scraps
    I balance. I hope you don't have a belt getting ready to let go. Takes a few miles, but had it happen to me end of last season. Came home on a trip, sensed a slight vibration from the trailer. Nothing found. Next trip, I sense it again, pull off the interstate, take a good look. Nothing found. Twenty miles later I knew dam well what had happened. Tire was shredded.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    My trailer had a vibration right at 70 also. Switched to Goodyear Endurance tires and had them balanced. Trailer rides smooth at any speed now!

13. Member
    Yes balance. I’ve also seen manufacturers use balancing bead sacks in the tires, not a fan, recommend removing these and balancing traditionally. Another cause of vibration can be when the wheels are not perfectly centered on the hub, oftentimes the wheel hub hole is larger than the hub diameter and thus allows to wheel to not be centered on the hub when tightening the lug nuts. Tapered lug nuts in theory will center the wheel but care must be taken to tighten lug nuts very evenly. Hub centering rings are available to insert in the wheels for a better fit in these circumstances.

14. Member
    Yes

15. Member
    Yes always. Why would anyone NOT balance trailer tires?

16. Member
    I have always balanced all my trailer tires, even utility trailers. I see no difference in them and a car tire as far as purpose. Some tire stores have balked at it but I insisted with the comment, I'm paying for it - just do it. We have one here that absolutely will NOT balance a trailer tire, he claims it is against some law, so he is off many peoples list...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    had a brand new trailer that had a resonance at 72 mph. would go. thru the truck - it wasn't terrible but very noticeable and the fenders shook on the trailer.

I carried the tires in to be balanced. they had balance beads in them. we went to weights and it pulls smooth. not gonna mention the boat brand.
    Same thing I experienced with my Ranger. When the tire was pulled off the rim, most of the beads were stuck to the tire and I thought they should float to the area that was out of balance. Once removed and regular stick on weights were applied, the vibration was gone.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

18. Member
    The tread is separating from the tire.