2022 H17 with 90 SHO

Looked at a 2022 H17 with a 90 SHO this weekend and was able to get a ride in one also. There were three of us in the empty boat with a 1/2 tank of fuel. I wasn't able to open it all the way up since the engine wasn't broken in yet so I couldn't get the full feel of how the boat will perform, especially with three of us in the boat. I know this isn't a high HP boat and motor but it seemed a bit lethargic. Spray was half way up the boat even when I goosed it a bit. Can I expect this boat to get up on full pad and have the spray off the back corners like you see in the Youtube videos? It will be me alone most of the time with the wife in the boat once in a while.

Last edited by Grizzly; 05-16-2022 at 06:11 AM.

2. Member
    I don't know why they derated the H17. My 2007 is rated for a 115 and it is nowhere near overpowered.It will get up on pad once you can open it up with the right prop.

3. Member
    Grizzly thanks for the post on performance. When I look up the Xpress / Yamaha performance spec it shows a WOT 6K rpm speed of 46. Does this seem realistic with a 2 people and 18 gallons of fuel ? Considering scaling down from Xpress H20B. Thank you

4. Member
    Had a 2012 X17 that was rated for 115 and it ran great, low 50's loaded. The newer model is wider and thicker material(.125 vs.100) than mine was and I think its about price point. I have a 2021 X18 which is the exact same hull as the H18 but rated for 150. Mid 40's sounds about right to me for the 90 SHO and it should handle great. Only reason I sold my X17 was the extra width for stability and sea dek for ease of cleaning.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingram24 View Post
    Had a 2012 X17 that was rated for 115 and it ran great, low 50's loaded. The newer model is wider and thicker material(.125 vs.100) than mine was and I think its about price point. I have a 2021 X18 which is the exact same hull as the H18 but rated for 150. Mid 40's sounds about right to me for the 90 SHO and it should handle great. Only reason I sold my X17 was the extra width for stability and sea dek for ease of cleaning.
    Unless I read it wrong the X18 is a wider hull than the H18 hence the 150 rating.

6. Member
    With me alone (240#) half a tank and some gear, my H17 leaps out of the hole (even trimmed halfway up on the gauge) and tops out at 43mph spinning 5800 RPM.
    Handles like a Cadillac on the flat and turns.
    Takes normal boat wakes with ease.
    I don't know how much more you can ask for.
    Spray behind the console?
    The spray on mine is right at what that Utube video intro shows. At about the helm position.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglewood View Post
    With me alone (240#) half a tank and some gear, my H17 leaps out of the hole (even trimmed halfway up on the gauge) and tops out at 43mph spinning 5800 RPM.
    Handles like a Cadillac on the flat and turns.
    Takes normal boat wakes with ease.
    I don't know how much more you can ask for.
    Spray behind the console?
    The spray on mine is right at what that Utube video intro shows. At about the helm position.
    Do you ever regret not getting the H18? I don't need it for fishing, but a bit more room and a bit more HP would be good on family day if we try to do a bit of water skiing I guess. with teenagers. What dealer di you buy thru an would you do it again (PM if you prefer )

8. Member
    Both are 93" beam(I thought mine was 95" when I bought it) and you really have to work to find the 93", also even though X 18 says 18' long trust me I have measured multiple times and you have to be creative to get 17-10 out of it. I worked in the shipbuilding industry for 40+ years measuring Navy ships so I know how to do this. Plus it makes very little sense from a manufacturing standpoint to build 2 hulls identical in every way except one is said to be 2" longer.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    Do you ever regret not getting the H18? I don't need it for fishing, but a bit more room and a bit more HP would be good on family day if we try to do a bit of water skiing I guess. with teenagers. What dealer di you buy thru an would you do it again (PM if you prefer )
    No regrets about a 18.
    I fish alone 99% of the time and I don't need another foot
    Not to mention the cost.

If your going to pull skiers while a couple of people are in the boat as well, you'll most likely prefer the 150.
    I had to travel 350 miles to pick mine up.
    The dealer was in eastern TN and I am in VA
    No I would not do business with the dealer.
    He just wanted to do it his way regardless of what I wanted
    I have been boating for 50 years and I know what I want and what I don't.

BTW...I am sellling this boat. As an oldtimer, I find it harder and harder to get up and out of those low slung bass seats. A replacement boat is a tossup between a Ranger VS deep V, Crestliner deep V, Starcraft deep V or a Tracker deep V.
    Last edited by Tanglewood; 06-16-2022 at 03:35 PM.

10. Member
    Tangewood, I traveled the same path. I had a G3 1966CC and bought a RT188. Not sure I kept it a year for the same reason you described with knees and hips. And I exercise on a regular basis. Went back to a CC Xpress H20B . I like standing when running, not a tournament fisherman anymore. H20B has great rod storage . Good all around boat for our purposes.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    Tangewood, I traveled the same path. I had a G3 1966CC and bought a RT188. Not sure I kept it a year for the same reason you described with knees and hips. And I exercise on a regular basis. Went back to a CC Xpress H20B . I like standing when running, not a tournament fisherman anymore. H20B has great rod storage . Good all around boat for our purposes.
    A H20 bay would be awesome. Just too pricey for me.
    I was honed in on a Ranger VS1682. That too, is now a bit too much for me.
    Seems like nearly all 16'-17' Deep V's are $35K+

With just me @1/2 tank of gas and all my crap in there mine pops up quick and gets 48.7 at 5900 rpms. 21p prop. Its runs smooth
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

13. Member
    My 2018 H17 with Yamaha F90 on a 6" Vance jackplate running a Turbo 17 pitch 3 blade would run 46 at 6000 rpms. Great holeshot and all around performance. I traded it on the boat in my sig below. The only reason was because I joined a bass club again.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support