Thread: Skeg Repair?

Skeg Repair?

2022 Mercury 150hp ProXS

Serial#: 3B148598

So I ran aground today. Water was really low where I was so I was taking it easy out in the main body cruising along at about 30mph. My sonar was reading about 50ft depth and all of a sudden the bottom came up quick. It was like a split second and I was in 8 feet of water. Let off the pedal and put the boat in neutral but it was to late because by the time I did this I was already on the bottom. I was pissed. Ive operated a ton of boats in my life and have never done anything like this. As soon as I own my first boat it happens. On top of that its a brand new boat. Anyway I got over it pretty quick, because I know it happens and powered off the bottom. Hull came through it with out a scratch surprisingly enough, but the motor wasn't so lucky. Nicked up the Tempest prop pretty good and a rod must have gotten lodged in there at some point because it took a half golf ball size chuck out of my skeg.

Took it out to the deepest part of the lake and ran the boat wide open and it didn't affect performance in anyway. Boat still handles well and it still its 56-57 mph as usual. So Im not really concerned about the nicks in the prop, but the chunk missing from the skeg bugs me because it looks terrible. Call me crazy but I dont want chunks missing out of my brand new boat that Ive only had for a month lol. So is there a way the skeg can be repaired or does the entire lower unit have to be replaced?
    Last edited by Diversity210; 05-21-2022 at 11:19 AM.

2. Member
    The skeg can be repaired without replacing the housing. I'd be more concerned with the ding in the prop. It can throw it out of balance and blow the seals or damage the gearset.

3. Member
    this is why we pay for insurance , both can be repaired and need to be , propshaft likely bent also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    this is why we pay for insurance , both can be repaired and need to be , propshaft likely bent also
    ^^^^

FYI, the 4-stroke forum is next one down. I would NOT attempt a skeg repair on a brand new engine and there's only one correct way to repair that lower unit and maintain your warranty.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    ++++++1 ^^^^^^^ exactly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    I appreciate the advice everyone. Im not putting in an insurance claim for a skeg and a prop lol. If those need to be replaced or repaired Ill just pay it out of pocket. If my insurance rates are going to go up its not going to be because I made a claim on a skeg and a prop, it will be for something more significant than that. I called the dealer I bought it from and Im going to drop it off to them to check out on Tuesday, so we will see how it goes. Im hoping there is no propshaft damage and honestly cant see how there could be if the boat is running normally, but Ill find out soon enough. In the mean time I have fishing to do this afternoon so its going to be what ever it is. I didn't buy this thing to baby it. I don't necessarily want to tear it up either, but Im most certainly not going to baby it.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diversity210 View Post
    2022 Mercury 150hp ProXS

Serial#: 3B145898

So I ran aground today. ...
    Please check your serial number. That serial number is not even remotely close to the description of the engine you gave.

Moving the thread to the 4-stroke forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please check your serial number. That serial number is not even remotely close to the description of the engine you gave.

Moving the thread to the 4-stroke forum for you.
    I guess i read the wrong numbers. No worries. Im done here anyway, boat in the dealer now do ill wait for the pros to tell me whats up. Thanks for the advice all

9. Member
    Just FYI Don is one of the best Pro’s in the business. I would always consider his advice.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I guess i read the wrong numbers. No worries. Im done here anyway, boat in the dealer now do ill wait for the pros to tell me whats up. Thanks for the advice all
    Wow.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    It has been brought to my attention via a warning from the moderator that this comment of mine offended someone. I have to be honest and say the moderator took it for what they wanted to see rather than what it was, but I do apologize all the same that something I said was perceived as insulting. I really cant understand why anyone would throw shade as someone simply trying to help them, and it most certainly wasnt my intention to offend anyone trying to help me. The English language is very complex and involves nuances such as tone, pauses, and gestures that without them the context of the words uttered can often be lost in translation, which seems to be the case here. The post was simply a statement of fact. In my haste I posted the wrong numbers for the motors serial numbers as I was reading the numbers off the paperwork that I have from the purchase of the boat and there are other numbers on said paperwork as well. I was just saying there was no need for me to go back and correct it because since the boat was at the dealership being looked at by professionals, I didn't need any further assistance from the good people here and was done with this thread. This is indeed the case and I am waiting to here word back from the professionals who currently have my boat in their possession. Once again I appreciate and thank those who offered me advice.
    Last edited by Diversity210; 05-19-2022 at 08:12 AM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thank you for taking the time to respond here. Perhaps the incorrect serial number and decision not to provide the correct one (as required) set the tone for the rest of your statements.

Warnings are almost always meant as a private notice- but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

As you are working with your dealer, keep in mind that there is a Service Bulletin that guides service personnel for failures related to the gearcase. If there is ANY sign of impact (evidence the case contacted something, bent shaft, twisted splines, damaged prop, broken single or adjacent teeth on gears, etc) it is considered as caused by impact (which is not a defect).

This it becomes necessary to replace the gearcase or housing, for which you may consider a different approach as pertains to insurance.

13. Member
    Sorry Sir but Don, Joe, and Silverfox are all pros and you will be glad you listened to them as they have been there, done that in the boating industry!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond here. Perhaps the incorrect serial number and decision not to provide the correct one (as required) set the tone for the rest of your statements.

Warnings are almost always meant as a private notice- but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

As you are working with your dealer, keep in mind that there is a Service Bulletin that guides service personnel for failures related to the gearcase. If there is ANY sign of impact (evidence the case contacted something, bent shaft, twisted splines, damaged prop, broken single or adjacent teeth on gears, etc) it is considered as caused by impact (which is not a defect).

This it becomes necessary to replace the gearcase or housing, for which you may consider a different approach as pertains to insurance.
    Thanks for that last bit of advise and I really am sorry about the miscommunication. I enjoy this forum and want to contribute to it as much as i gather information from it. I dont wish to disrespect anyone on here. I will post my motors proper serial number as soon as I get it back frm the shop tomorrow. I did here from them today by the way and the gearcase is undamaged and the prop shaft is fine. They did send my prop out for repair so i just had them install another tempest plus prop they had in stock in the mean time I can keep fishing. This prop is 700 bucks so ill either keep it as a spare or sell it when I get mine back. Maybe the former would be a better choice. The guy does everything to do with welding for them is booked up through June, so i wont be having the skeg repaired until early July. All and all Im happy the way everything turned out. Had to spend a few bucks, but getting out on the water always has a hand in your pockets haha. Just glad there was nothing serious and Ill be back on my boat by this weekend.

Serial# 3B148598
    Last edited by Diversity210; 05-21-2022 at 11:17 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Sorry Sir but Don, Joe, and Silverfox are all pros and you will be glad you listened to them as they have been there, done that in the boating industry!
    I would say superstar pro’s in fact none better than Mr. Don period end of story.

in fact hall of fame!
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

16. Member
    While humbled to be listed with true gurus, I am not a pro. Don & Joe turn wrenches daily to make a living, I do not.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax