Thread: Fuse question

Fuse question

So in the task of getting my bilge pump working before a trip to grand lake Oklahoma, I discovered a fuse issue.

'95 181 DC
    Bilge switch: had a 15a
    Nav lights had a 35a

Switched the fuses and the bilge kicks on with the 35a. Lights still work with the 15a.

Am I gonna burn up the bilge with the 35a?

What fuse should be in the bilge switch?

I am the 3rd owner and who knows what happened before I've got it. Wiring all look original.

Thanks.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm gonna say that maybe some corrosion had built up on the fuse ends and you cleaned it a bit when you swapped them or there's a loose wire on the fuse holder. On a 95, the Bilge is fused at 10A and the Lights at 5.

Tha ks for the tip. I'll take a look

Hmm. Why would only work with a 35a fuse?

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Can't answer that. If both fuses are good, they ought to work. Are they the same length? On the Contender, the main power is 20A, so don't know why you have a 35A in the lights. Aerator is 4A, Bilge 10A & Lights 5A. Newer boats, all the pumps are 5A, so I'm guessing the 10 is for the optional 2nd bilge pump (auto float?).

Well I've tried 5a, 10a, 15a and the bilge will only work with the 35a. It dosnt pop the fuse it just dosnt work at all. So weird.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Doesn't make sense at all. Has to be something with the fuse holder

That's what I'm thinking. Like the spring in the cap is bound up or somthing. But it's the same deal with a diffrent cap.
    Can a person get a new fuse holder or is it a replace the whole switch panel situation?

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    You can replace just the fuse holder. Post some pix of the front and under the console and I'll find you a replacement. Wish you were close, I could troubleshoot it in a couple of min.