I’m having a tough spring!

So I have been able to fish at least 5hr-7hr most weekends this spring. I have caught decent numbers of bass but just haven’t been able to hook anything over 4lb for a few weeks. Not sure what is going on, I think the weather and the timing of when I get to fish just hasn’t worked out in my favor… I was on Anita this morning and caught good number but nothing over 2 1/2lbs. Most were just 12” males. Water temp was 70.0*-70.3*

Have the females spawned yet?? Have you guys had any luck in the last few weeks?

2. Member
    I was out at a small lake this past weekend with my kayak (water is too low to put my boat in) and I saw a handful of decent sized bass cruising the shallows, but not nearly as many as I thought I would see. This spring has been weird with the weather being all over the place. I did see one pair of bass that were in their spawning ritual but other than that I didn't see hardly any beds. The water is pretty clear at this lake so I'm not sure if they are just spawning deeper and I can't see the beds or if they haven't spawned yet, or if they have already spawned and have moved out deeper. So yeah, I'm kind of lost right now as well. That said, once the early season cold weather bite is gone I usually don't catch a lot of 4+ pound bass the rest of the season. I will catch one here and there, but most of the fish I get are in that 1 to 3 pound range, and I can go many many weeks without getting a good sized bass.

3. Member
    Thanks for responding! I really enjoy fishing and trying to figure out the bass, I guess these tough times I’m going through really make me realize that I don’t know much Lol….I’ve got some time off work next week so maybe I can learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I was out at a small lake this past weekend with my kayak (water is too low to put my boat in) and I saw a handful of decent sized bass cruising the shallows, but not nearly as many as I thought I would see. This spring has been weird with the weather being all over the place. I did see one pair of bass that were in their spawning ritual but other than that I didn't see hardly any beds. The water is pretty clear at this lake so I'm not sure if they are just spawning deeper and I can't see the beds or if they haven't spawned yet, or if they have already spawned and have moved out deeper. So yeah, I'm kind of lost right now as well. That said, once the early season cold weather bite is gone I usually don't catch a lot of 4+ pound bass the rest of the season. I will catch one here and there, but most of the fish I get are in that 1 to 3 pound range, and I can go many many weeks without getting a good sized bass.

4. Member
    Yes, bass fishing is a very humbling sport. One day I'll go out and figure out exactly where they are and what they want and I'll crush them. Afterwards I start to think I'm a pretty good fisherman. Then the next time I go out I won't get a bite and I'll realize I don't know half as much as I think I do and I just got humbled by something with a brain the size of a pea. For me a lot of the fun of bass fishing is trying to figure things out each time I'm on the water. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail. But most of the time it's fun.

its been and odd spring weather wise. the water temps jumped 20 degrees in 7-10 days and most days its flat out too windy to fish well

6. Member
    I was out last weekend and found a big girl who was definitely on a bed. Granted I couldn’t see her with how dirty the water was, but she’d definitely been fanning her bed (her tail was a little rough looking). She was just over 4lb, this was from a shallow, public lake and water temp was 72.