Jack Plate / Steering

Ok I need some help please. I ordered an Alweld from a dealership in Arkansas. I live in south ga. I just finally got my hands on the boat Friday afternoon. I had them put a hydraulic jack plate on the boat. My boat has a 115 Yamaha SHO on it. The jack plate is clearly stamped for 90hp and below. ??

Next how do you get the air out of the steering lines? You can turn the steering wheel almost 3/4 of a turn to the right before the motor turns ?

What’s y’all’s opinion on this ? I’m really concerned with the jack plate issues and my
    insurance company not wanting to write me a policy after they see that.

2. Member
    I'd talk to the dealer and see if they would pay another dealer make it right. Air in the steering don't worry me near as much as the wrong jack plate. Lots of videos to show how to bleed the steering system.

3. Member
    Thanks! Yea the wrong jack plate really concerns me.

4. Member
    My guess would be a 90 of the same series as your 115 is essentially the same engine, minus some small modifications to increase the HP. IF so they'll be VERY close in weight. I'd do some research to determine the weight of both. IF I'm correct that should ease your mind a bit.

Addendum: After a few more minutes of thought and having researched, purchased, and installed my own JP for my 115, I wanted a bit of overkill on my plate rating.....my plate was rated for up to a 150hp (can't remember the # rating). Definitely speak to your dealer or directly to the manufacture.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 05-15-2022 at 07:04 PM.

5. Member
    My biggest concern with it all is the torque of the 115 versus the 90 I’m not sure about that part of it.

6. Member
    Sounds like your dealer didn't pay much attention to detail or care about your boat. Proper engine setup and steering are absolute necessary items before delivering the boat to a customer....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    Sounds like your dealer didn't pay much attention to detail or care about your boat. Proper engine setup and steering are absolute necessary items before delivering the boat to a customer....
    👍.....Or trying to squeeze up the margin.....😉

8. Member
    The dealer may have legal problems if the jack plate fails causing damage or worse personal injury.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

9. Member
    If 25 additional hp kills that jackplate, you should have bought a better one.

10. Member
    the jack plate has a rating for a reason take it back i dont understand why folks give dealerships thousands of dollars for rigs that are not lake ready. do a lake test if there is anything to fix have them fix then you wont have to come on the net an ask why something doesnt work. an if your dealer doesnt offer it find another dealer.

11. Member
    I spoke with them and they are making it all correct. @Steezmac it’s not about quality it’s about the rating jack plates have. It has a Vance 6000 series which is rated for up to a 90. The Vance 6500 series is what should have been used. Thanks for all the feedback

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    The dealer may have legal problems if the jack plate fails causing damage or worse personal injury.
    Or if at some time an insurance adjuster might have to look at some damage. Wrong plate for that engine is what they would say. Sorry.

13. Member
    It should have never left the dealership like that.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166