Diawa J-Braid X8 Issues?

Spooled up a couple spinning rods, and when I went to add the fluorocarbon leaders every time I went to tighten the FG knot the leader was always be cut. So I thought I had bad fluoro line but it happened to 3 different brands of leader line and even switched to a heavier #test and it just kept slicing through the leader line. I KNOW how to tie a FG knot as I use it all the time when saltwater fishing. This is the first time though using this braid and was curious if anyone else has had this issue?

I also had this issue and had problems when tying the braid through the holes in my spool it would cut the line everytime

If you're open to trying a different knot, I use a modified albright. No issues with 15# braid to 12# seaguar inviz-x and 8# braid to 6# inviz-x

I sent an email to Diawa as I bought a few spools of the X8 and was curious as to what their thoughts were on why this could be happening. They responded quickly and stated that with their braided lines that you need to wet the area where the FG knot occurs as they believe that the issue is that the braid is burning the fluoro causing it to break when tightening. Never had to do this using Power Pro or Suffix but I will give it a try and see what happens.

Is it the Grand x8 or just the regular x8? I use a lot of the J-Braid Grand x8 and have never had any issues with it, but haven't used the regular x8. Admittedly I'm primarily running the 30 lb variety on casting rods, and the 50 lb on my frog rod. The 30 lb is almost universally FG knotted to a leader without any problems, though that's not the thinner diameter you're likely using on a spinning rod.

I know you said you know how to tie an FG and you didn't really mention what size leaders you were using so this advice may be unhelpful or unwanted, but....I've found myself been on both extremes of the FG spectrum. When I first figured it out I used it on everything. Then I had one pull out after a couple hundred casts and it scared me the opposite way to where I wouldn't use it at all, instead favoring the Lazy Alberto (Shin Fukae knot) which is thinner and easier to tie than an Albright or Alberto, but holds very well nonetheless. When I started getting tired of it catching on my pitching setup with a 25 lb leader, I tried the FG again and finally settled into a spot where I feel comfortable. Essentially I'm only using it on 10 lb and above leaders where I feel like I can crank on it hard enough to actually seat it all the way without cutting, fracturing, or outright breaking my leader. Given that you upsized I'm guessing you tried 10 lb or above and still had the problem, but figured my trials and tribulations might still have some helpful nugget.

I definitely always wet it, as I do any knot. I've never seen a situation where it hurt anything.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Is it the Grand x8 or just the regular x8? I use a lot of the J-Braid Grand x8 and have never had any issues with it, but haven't used the regular x8. Admittedly I'm primarily running the 30 lb variety on casting rods, and the 50 lb on my frog rod. The 30 lb is almost universally FG knotted to a leader without any problems, though that's not the thinner diameter you're likely using on a spinning rod.

I know you said you know how to tie an FG and you didn't really mention what size leaders you were using so this advice may be unhelpful or unwanted, but....I've found myself been on both extremes of the FG spectrum. When I first figured it out I used it on everything. Then I had one pull out after a couple hundred casts and it scared me the opposite way to where I wouldn't use it at all, instead favoring the Lazy Alberto (Shin Fukae knot) which is thinner and easier to tie than an Albright or Alberto, but holds very well nonetheless. When I started getting tired of it catching on my pitching setup with a 25 lb leader, I tried the FG again and finally settled into a spot where I feel comfortable. Essentially I'm only using it on 10 lb and above leaders where I feel like I can crank on it hard enough to actually seat it all the way without cutting, fracturing, or outright breaking my leader. Given that you upsized I'm guessing you tried 10 lb or above and still had the problem, but figured my trials and tribulations might still have some helpful nugget.

I definitely always wet it, as I do any knot. I've never seen a situation where it hurt anything.

Regular X8. I was going from 8# X8 to 3 different brands of 8# fluoro and each time when I went to tighten the knot the fluoro was cut. Even went to 15# fluoro with the X8 and it cut that as well when I gave it the pull to tighten things up. In contrast I had another rod with 8# Suffix braid, used the same 8# fluoro leader line and had no issues. When I surf fish I am using 30-50# braid and 30-50# fluoro leaders and never had any issues but have not tried the X8 yet.

The wetting makes sense as I do that with all of my other knots but everything I have ever read states that you are NOT supposed to wet the FG knot.

I've heard folks say not to wet it, but I've still always done it. It actually seems like it even helps a little with getting the "far end" of the knot to cinch up when tightening down? That may be in my head, though in my mind it makes sense as it seems it should allow the entire knot to cinch down a little more smoothly. After having the one come undone, I'm hyper vigilant about seeing the whole thing cinch when tightening it. I've cut off more than one when it wouldn't get there.

8# x8 is thin stuff, so definitely a different ballgame. I still can't imagine it would be harsher than a 4-carrier option, or sharper than some of the "unifilament" superlines like Nanofil or Gliss.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

J-braid has been good for me. Although I like Yo Zuri super braid better on spinning reels..I've got no time for a FG when the fish are biting. I use this knot (improved alberto), caught 100+ lb tarpon , big grouper , big snook and everything else. Never had a failure.
    Use a glove or towel to tighten it up. Just like in this vid.

9. Member
    I used exclusively JBraid for 2 years. The last couple spools I used were so bad I was ready to swear off spinning rods. When I tied my leader knot(Alberto) it was causing the brains to drag and come apart. If it didn’t immediately it did it a few casts later. I re-spooled multiple times from different boxes of line and it didn’t get better. I have switched to suffix 832 and have been much happier.
    2020 Caymas CX20