More Mercury Issue

I have a new Mercury Pro XS 115 4 Stroke. I am not done with the break in process, only have 5 hours on it so far. Last night I was out fishing with my two boys. Dropped boat in and started just fine. Let it idle to warm up for about 5 minutes, no issues. Went to get on plane and it was bogging down. Gave it more throttle and it finally got on plane and it ran fine from that point to our first spot. Fished for an hour. Started it, idled out of our spot and went to go on plane and it bogged down and engine shut off. Turned it to the on position and let the fuel pump run for a few seconds and started it. As soon as I gave it throttle it shut off. This happened a few times. I would then start it and after a few seconds of idle and as soon as it would shut off again. A couple of times I would turn to on and sounded like the pump was struggling but not 100% sure. Got stranded 2 miles from the boat ramp and had to troll all the way back and load the boat by hand after dark. Frustrating to say the least. Is it common for a fuel pump issue on a new engine like this? Any other ideas what it may be? There were no alarms sounding so I am not sure what the heck the problem is.

3B160618
    Last edited by JWheezy; 05-15-2022 at 09:37 AM.

2. Member
    nothing common about it. it very well could be a bad fuel pump. but it also could be trash in the line, trash in the gas, kinked or pinched fuel line. I think I would have back at the dealer. I know it sucks, but it's new and you have warranty. let us know what the solution and problem was.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

3. Member
    I don't get it, put the water flush on it this morning and ran it and it runs fine now. What the heck?

4. Member
    Water flush is for flushing, not running the motor.
    You need to be using muffs if starting out of the water.
    2021 Ranger RT188
    2021 Mercury 115 PXS CT 4S 3B038093
    Va Tech '69, '70, '74

5. Member
    Sorry, meant muffs

6. Member
    maybe that took care of the issue

7. Member
    like I said, it could have been something in the line, or kinked and now it is not. If it is the tank, it can be more intermitten because it float around forever without obstruction....until it gets sucked up in there and causes blockage. the true tell tale will be when you get it back out on the water.. typically in all my years, it's always when you have a day planned to fish and are pumped and then bam, it happens..murphy's law. I hope this is not the case for you. It's a sick feeling to have any trouble like this when you just want to enjoy the day on the water. Unfortunatley, with boats, it...is... always...something...
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    like I said, it could have been something in the line, or kinked and now it is not. If it is the tank, it can be more intermitten because it float around forever without obstruction....until it gets sucked up in there and causes blockage. the true tell tale will be when you get it back out on the water.. typically in all my years, it's always when you have a day planned to fish and are pumped and then bam, it happens..murphy's law. I hope this is not the case for you. It's a sick feeling to have any trouble like this when you just want to enjoy the day on the water. Unfortunatley, with boats, it...is... always...something...

I will probably end up taking it in. Im afraid the same thing will happen, they will run it and hook up the computer and nothing shows up. I guess if it is air in the line again that means there must be something causing it.

9. Member
    yes, there is something. What that is ??? Hopefully, and many times it is a simple issue.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Closing this thread as it's very similar/nearly identical to another you have running as well.

Please stick to one topic for your engine (at a time) so that multiple responses aren't needed. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor