Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    That really sucks. I hope you figure out what it is. Take some of it and let it dry out. See that it looks like and if it gets hard or stays soft. Then take some of the dried materiel and bake it a little bit to see if it changes again after getting dried with heat. Call your local weights/measures office that handles gas pump calibration. Send he a pic via email and get his thoughts. He's seen some crazy stuff.

2. Member
    Please keep us posted with any info you find.

3. Member
    I'd like to know what that is also. I was watching a show called Air Disasters and a plane almost crashed because sea water got mixed with fuel. Although it's not apples to apples to apples comparison, I can see the same thing happing with gasoline. You don't know if the station might have used the wrong filter. I can see some trying to save money buying cheaper filters or just taking the filter out. I worked on 18 wheelers for 42 years and found every thing from beer cans to wallets in the tanks

Actually fuel hoses were not required to be ethanol resistant until about 2012. Pennies and dimes in comparison though many didn’t change till later.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    since early 2000's all fuel hose is rated for alcohol

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Actually fuel hoses were not required to be ethanol resistant until about 2012. Pennies and dimes in comparison though many didn’t change till later.

BCB
    ok my 2000 stratos had updated and the 2002 BcB seems to be the new stuff also!! got lucky I guess
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Bass Cat’s been ethanol resistant since about 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    ok my 2000 stratos had updated and the 2002 BcB seems to be the new stuff also!! got lucky I guess

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Bass Cat’s been ethanol resistant since about 1989.
    BCB always ahead of the curve !!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    My 1990 Hydra sport had ethanol resistant OMC fuel hose,As was the VRO pump

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enskyte View Post
    https://ibb.co/wrGSGS4
    https://ibb.co/VQstcRK
    https://ibb.co/2knNtQ2
    https://ibb.co/zrLPNk9
    Had 8gallons of gas in it when I bought it. I added 46 gallons of non ethanol and storage dose of evinrude 4+2 treatment. Ran 29g and had to be towed in due to fuel restriction. Mechanic found main filter clogged. Tank is loaded with this. Hard like rock salt. Mechanic said ethanol was cause. Not under warranty as is a maintenance issue. This is just 1/8 of what is in there. Only a 2 inch hole to work through.
    Using battery operated pump. Chunks clog head so the rag is to bang them out.
    mechanic can not say that without product tested, ethenol attracts water, not crystals. I have large storage tanks and have never ever seen that
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    Maybe just maybe some water was present and somehow additives changed to a solid sitting, wow that’s a longshot
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Hard like rock salt. Mechanic said ethanol was cause. Not under warranty as is a maintenance issue.
    What chemical analysis was used by the mechanic to reach that conclusion about the ethanol?

My guess is whatever is in that filter was introduced into the tank in the same form.

Curious to hear what the final analysis of the "hard like rock salt" material really is made of.

My 2 cents.

12. Member
    I would think a sample sent to black stone labs would solve questions
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

13. Member
    Someone don't like you? Locking gas caps?

14. Member
    FYI this not sure what this is costing you but it might warrant an insurance claim.

15. Member
    FYI this not sure what this is costing you but it might warrant an insurance claim

My point on what analysis was used by the mechanic to reach his diagnosis.

Sounds like a seat of the pants diagnosis, which in turn makes it difficult to make a claim.

Something came out of solution to form "hard like rock salt" residue from ethanol?

Unlikely, but would like to hear the final results.

16. Member
    I work on rvs for a living and that looks a lot like the stuff that ends up in tanks after spin weld fittings are installed in plastic tanks.

17. Member
    Hate to ask but do you leave the boat outdoors overnite? Have a crazy X? That looks like a desiccant or some type of crystal additive.

18. Member
    Update. I removed all but ten gallons and stained them with a filter. Then removed all the blue at the bottom of the tank I could see. Using an air hose I moved gas around in the tank to try and force debris to center off tank to remove. Drove boat around neighborhood to slosh it around one last time before putting it back together. Have run 14 gallons through it had have had zero issues. I have extra filters on board, just in case. Will change filter after 50g has pass though and hopefully put this crazy situation behind me. Thank you for all the comments.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

19. Member
    It looks like chrystilized Startron fuel additive. But I have never heard of that happening. The color is what I based my answer on.

I put some Startron ethanol stabilizer in the gas tank of an Xpress I owned and shortly after my engine fouled spark plugs and dealer had to change spark plugs. I did not see the substance that fouled the plugs so just a guess.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

I know I'm late, but could it be the media from the vapor canister on the vent hose? that canister stopped up on mine and I couldn't put gas in so I deleted it. I didn't look to see what was in it but it sounded like a maraca when I shook it.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast