Blazer 625 prop question

Been trying to get used to this new Blazer with a hydraulic jack plate.

2022 Blazer 625
    Mercury 250 pro xs Vin# 3B135780
    Prop is a Bravo I 27p part # 48-831914

Hole shot is not good at all when the plate is in the 1-4 range. If I move it up higher it seems that I get a lot of slip and over revs and I have to feather the hot foot. Top end is 72 at WOT expected a little better. I would like to make this my back up prop and looking for experience in something that will be a little more balanced. Better hole shot and improved on top end if possible?

I have a older Croxton B&B Tempest Plus 25p part #48-825855 can you get an replacement hub for the 4 stroke and maybe be able to use this prop as well. It has always been a fabulous prop on my other boats. If someone thinks it will work? Would you use this flow hub kitFLO-TORQ SSR HD 1.25" HUB KIT, MERCURY, 8M0101601

Thank You
    Lee
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

2. Member
    I have a 2019 625 with the same configuration you have and my best prop was a 28 Bravo I XS that had been worked. It threw a blade and my new stock 28 Bravo is about 2 mph slower. I am planning to get send it off to Mark once the tournament season slows down. My boat came with a 27 Bravo FS but it was a super slow prop on my boat. I also had a 27 Tempest that was almost as fast as the XS but my boat wasn't nearly as stable with it. I just bought a 27 TXP OT4 that seems ok but I really like the holeshot I have with the XS. I spent some time on the phone with 21XDC talking about options and have decided that getting the XS worked to my boat is the direction I'm going but I will be checking the blades for cracks regularly...

3. Member
    I have a 2019 625 with a 250 sho. it is loaded. (poles, 4 Lead 31s and all gear. Heavy. I have when through many props per claimed feedback from people with same setup.
    29, 28, 27 bravo I xs which carried the load well and mid range and handling was awesome. However boat would hit a brick wall at 76. No matter how much I played with the setup and height.

Switched over to a 27 tempest plus. (stock). while it takes a little to drive at top end it consistently runs 78-79 gph.
    2019 Blazer 625 / G2 250
    1996 21XD Bullet SOLD
    2015 Phoenix 920 / 250 Pro XS SOLD
    ALX Rods. www.alxrods.com
    The Best Designed and most Sensitive Bass Fishing Rod in the USA!

4. Member
    I’m in the same boat,, pun intended. 2022 625 dual console, 4-lead 27s, 2 12” HDS Lives & AT, NO power poles, but 2021 Yamaha 250 that came with a 26p T2. I was expecting more out of it as well, and also looking for input. Two test runs so far, both with myself and passenger (350 lbs. total) at 1000’ elevation. 3/4 trim seemed to be the max needed, and boat seemed to run flat no matter the amount of trim. Only 4.5 hrs so far on motor, and it was broke in properly for 1st 2 hrs.

1st test- 1/4-3/8 fuel, plate gauge 1.0-1.5 (0 is 4” PTP), no gear loaded in boat, top end 75-76 @ 5900-6000 rpm. Air temp.- mid 70s

2nd test- 3/4-7/8 fuel, plate gauge 1.0-3.0, put in gear (didn’t weigh yet, but no more than 100 lbs.), top end 70-71 @ 6000-6100 rpm. Air temp- 80

Hole shot seemed decent, but it did slip and rev a bit on 2nd test. I’ve heard these boats like to run in the 2.5 in. PTP range, which would be 1.5 on my gauge. I’m thinking of trying a 27p T2 or 27p Tempest, and maybe having cup added to both props. I was a bit surprised that it ran higher rpms with more fuel/gear loaded AND a bit warmer air and water temps, so my slip increased quite a bit. I’m not looking forward to throwing blades with a Bravo, even if they end up being a few mph faster.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses so far. I do not have any of the detailed data as Wes has. I guess I need to do a little more study as to what my PTP is and look at the RPM's closer at WOT. I do know that it sure drives very easy around 1.5 on the plate. But if your in the 1-3 range on taking off that sucker will stand up and never break over. You have to raise it up to at least a 4 to get it to break over and get on pad. I just may not be used to this engine. But it just does not sound the same as my other two strokes or SHO's. It as though it can not even spin the prop to get the RPM's up. I am waiting on a call back from Mark Croxton to see what he can do. I am sure he will get it figured out like normal.

Thanks again.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    If your Bravo doesn't have 4 PVS holes then it needs them. If it does, sounds like you need to play with PVS set up with the Bravo. Its usually the best prop for hole shot. I always ran my 625/SHO at even with the pad, but with the weight of the trolling motors now, I don't know if that is still possible. I think it should end up around 1/2in below though. The best prop I ever found the 625/SHO combo, and we proved it on several rigs, was a 29 T-1 that Mark worked down to a 28.

7. Member
    I spoke to Mark yesterday and went home last night and got him some measurements. He wanted me to give him the plate setting where the boat handled the best with the bravo and that was a 1.5 setting. But at that setting the boat will not get on plane with the warmer temps and livewells full and two guys. I did a couple of passes last night and if I set my plate to 5 it would come out of the hole decent and then I would have to lower it back down to 1.5.

Plate 1.5
    PTP 2-3/4"
    5800 RPM's @ 72mph

I also ran a Fury 24p last night on the same settings. Hole shot was much improved and I needed to lower the plate to the bottom to keep it from blowing out when the boat started to go onto the pad.
    Plate 1.5
    PTP 2-3/4"
    6000 RPM's @ 73.1

Livewells empty, 1 person, and 3/4-7/8 fuel tournament load
    PVS Plugs all removed
    Last edited by LeeinMO; 05-18-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

8. Member
    Latest update if anyone cares. I went back to my tried and tested Tempest Plus 25p that Croxton B&B for me a few years back. It has some rock rash from a trip to Mille Lacs last year and even with that it out preformed all the other props tested hands down. I think I could run a 26p even faster. The hole shot is comparable to my 595 with the 25p.

Plate 1.5
    PTP 2-3/4"
    6050 RPM's @ 72.3

Livewells empty, 2 fat guys, and 3/4-7/8 fuel tournament load
    PVS Plugs all removed
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

Good news is, we dont need serial numbers in this forum. LOL
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeinMO View Post
    Latest update if anyone cares. I went back to my tried and tested Tempest Plus 25p that Croxton B&B for me a few years back. It has some rock rash from a trip to Mille Lacs last year and even with that it out preformed all the other props tested hands down. I think I could run a 26p even faster. The hole shot is comparable to my 595 with the 25p.

Plate 1.5
    PTP 2-3/4"
    6050 RPM's @ 72.3

Livewells empty, 2 fat guys, and 3/4-7/8 fuel tournament load
    PVS Plugs all removed
    That's great the Tempest worked as well as it did but I think you have a lot more left in that boat. I have almost the exact same config you do but I also have a 12" Garmin on the bow and I have lithium batteries but I can run my 28 Bravo XS at least 76 with two guys in the boat, loaded for fishing and water in the livewells. I have run over 79 with a 27 Tempest, 28 Bravo XS and a 29 Bravo XS. All with two people and loaded to fish in cold weather. I know a lot of people don't like the Bravo's but I don't think you would be disappointed... I haven't seen DTS on here for a while but I think he has seen very similar numbers to me.

11. Member
    SSNTMD8R, I do not know what the difference is to me? I do not have a dealer Blazer dealer in my area so I am a little restricted at this time. I was expecting better top end results and was excited to see what the Bravo would do. The only way it will get on plane is to raise it up to like 5 on the plate and then start dropping it back down. But again I could not get anything close to your numbers.

I just read your first post up above. Could be thats what I have is the 27p Bravo FS and that is the issue. Thanks for saying something again.
    Last edited by LeeinMO; 05-31-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeinMO View Post
    SSNTMD8R, I do not know what the difference is to me? I do not have a dealer Blazer dealer in my area so I am a little restricted at this time. I was expecting better top end results and was excited to see what the Bravo would do. The only way it will get on plane is to raise it up to like 5 on the plate and then start dropping it back down. But again I could not get anything close to your numbers.
    Not sure if you tried a Bravo XS but they have 8 PVS holes in them you can tune holeshot with, it's by far the best holeshot prop I've tried and it has really solid top end speed. My first 28 was worked and had some tip cup added if I remember correctly and it ran 79.7 loaded with 2 people in the boat. I have a stock 28 now and it is about 2 mph slower and will be going out to be worked after the tournament season slows down. I ran almost as fast with a 27 Tempest but holeshot and handling are so much better with the Bravo that I will never go back...

13. Member
    No my prop has only 4 vent holes that I removed the plugs on trying to get a better hole shot. Thanks for the info
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

14. Member
    I have a 2019 625 with a 250 Merc V8 as well. Lithium TM batteries and a 31 AGM cranking. As Noted above, the best all around prop I’ve used is a 28 Bravo Xs with some cup added, or a 27 Tempest. The tempest does take a bit longer to get there but it’s consistently 1 mph faster on the top end, a little harder to handle but that’s part of a 3 blade. It runs about 2-2.5” below pad. I’ve seen 80.5 with the bravo on a cool morning, and 80.7 with the tempest on a cool morning. In the heat of the summer and a full load solo best I’ve seen is 79.5 with the tempest. But, the biggest thing is with the Merc, get it checked out by a mechanic to make sure you are getting all of the throw of the throttle at wide open, had to have mine adjusted to get actual 100%, from the factory I was only getting 95.5%, which can make a big difference on the top end! Get it checked to make sure your getting there, the factories do not set up the motors to ensure this, not just blazer but they all have this problem with the new Mercs.