Post Should I be concerned about this under the trolling motor?

I took off my old trolling motor to install a new one yesterday and there is an outline of the trolling motor pattern on the boat top cap. What concerns me is in the middle portion of that pattern the gel coat looked cracked and almost dried out a bit. I installed the new trolling motor already but the old one sat flush and the new one needs spacers so there will be a gap underneath it. I'm assuming the only way to fix that whole area is to sand it all down and reglass as the pattern is dug into the gel coat. Should I be concerned about that area?
    20220514_141808.jpg20220514_141814.jpg
    20220514_141824.jpg
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

2. Member
    I was looking at a video on the web.
    The install said he all way counter sink his hole even if has rubber .
    Keep from this happening.

I can't help. But I think they will have to be grinder and recoatded?
    That a good ? For a Pro how to fix it.

3. Member
    I put a piece of sedeck type material that goes with either the boat colors or just straight black under the trolling motor sticking out about 1/4 inch before I mount it. Looks good, Absorbs some vibration and shock between the trolling motor and the hull, totally stops the under side of trolling motor from rubbing into the gelcoat if the bolts stretch a bit over time.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I put a piece of sedeck type material that goes with either the boat colors or just straight black under the trolling motor sticking out about 1/4 inch before I mount it. Looks good, Absorbs some vibration and shock between the trolling motor and the hull, totally stops the under side of trolling motor from rubbing into the gelcoat if the bolts stretch a bit over time.
    That's a good idea. I wish I had thought of that, but I didn't know until the existing motor was removed. Where did you get the material you used? I might add it in the future.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

5. Member
    Just fill the existing holes with resin or silicone and get a sheet of GatorSkinz to cover it. I have put it under the last 3 TMs I installed.